Insulin is not coming out of pen

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sarah and Buzz, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Wondering if any of you have encountered this before. We are using the SoloStar pens, and I have noticed that there have been air bubbles in the syringe, but I have just been drawing extra insulin into the syringe and then ejecting the extra into the sink. Obviously this is wasteful but it's not a huge amount.

However, tonight NO insulin would come out of the pen. There seems to be a negative pressure inside the pen, prohibiting any insulin from being drawn into the syringe. Do you know why this could be happening? Do I have to discard the entire pen? That would be a shame, considering we have only been using it for 2 weeks. I used the next pen in the pack for tonight and it was fine, so she got her shot, no worries.

Thank you!

2. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

this is the first pen i've used, and i noticed that it takes a lot longer to draw insulin into the syringe. have to hold it upside down and just wait for it to drip out, or try to draw out more and then flick the large air bubbles out. probably adds to some wastage but works, albeit slowly.

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I agree, it's slow but I've never had a problem with the insulin not coming out.

4. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

couple things to try.........

first dial 1U or so on the dosing dial and click the button a few times. Another thing I have heard on the German forum in insert your needle try to draw, it may be slow and you may get some insulin and some air then with a little force shoot back into the pen, and keep repeating without removing the needle untill insulin flows nicely into your syringe.

******A note to anyone who is going to say you shouldn't do this......On the German forum numerous people have done it and had no negative effects on the insulin. Should it cause the insulin to go bad quicker, it is still better than discarding an almost full pen because you can't get anything out of it.

5. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

personal experience with cartridges, i used to the last drop and even injected some with air and didn't notice a change in efficacy. initially i was throwing cartridges out after a month but money became an issue so i stopped.

a few cartridges went bad but i'm guessing it had to do with pharmacy handling mistakes. the first time the cartridge was out of its cradle in the cardboard box. in my case i didn't see floaties but the cartridge smelled very strongly like bacon instead of the normal lantus smell. that became a giveaway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.