Insulin Questions (split from ChrisH's thread)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mkp, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mkp

mkp New Member

My cat, Ali, was diagnosed 3 years ago, and we have been using Vetsulin. Now, since the recall (I found out yesterday), my vet prescribed Lantus/glargine. So today I filled the prescription at Walgreen's and it cost $117, syringes included. Then, the pharmacist told me that the Lantus is only good for 28 days---I almost cried! He said that is the smallest bottle that they make and I am just sick that it is going to cost that much every month when I will be using less than 1/4 of the bottle. I love my cat and will do whatever he needs to stay healthy, but I just can't afford that. Is there anything else out there that isn't so expensive and wasteful???? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

2. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: Insulin Questions

mkp, you might want to start a new thread with your questions, so they don't get lost here

I think Lantus comes in รก pen form that is more cost-effective, but I don't know the details. You may be able to find out more on the Lantus forum - have you already checked the stickies over there? They might give you some good info.

3. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

The 10 ml bottle of Lantus *may* last a month, maybe a little more.

Most Lantus users here use the Lantus cartridges or SoloStar pens because they are more cost effective. The initial cost is higher, about $150 for the box *but* the box contains five 3 ml cartridges or SoloStar pens so it comes out to $30 each. You use one cartridge of pen a month. So the entire box is basically a 5 month supply.

Use the 10 ml bottle this month. Next month, ask the vet to write the prescription for the Lantus cartridges or SoloStar pens. You do not need to use pen needles with either. Insulin syringes work just fine. You can check out the sticky over in the Lantus ISG to see how to use insulin syringes with the cartridges or SoloStar pens: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=151

If you're in the US, you can buy your insuln syringes online with no prescriptio. Hocks.com is one popular place. See this thread for what brands of insulin syringes members here use with U100 insulin --> http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... 22,1959486

4. mkp

mkp New Member

Thanks so much for the suggestions...will definitely be checking them out and talking to my vet. The pen sounds much more cost-friendly. THANK YOU!!!!!!

5. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Hi and Welcome to FDMB! In my option there is nothing cheaper than Lantus, given the fact that a newly diagnosed diabetic cat has an 85% chance of going into remission after using Lantus for a short period of time, meaning you may never have to buy another vial of insulin again! But that aside (I see your cat is 3 years on insulin, but there's still hope, and most cats on Lantus eventually require a lower dose than on other insulins so you will be using less), the instructions in the Lantus package and from the Pharmacist are meant for humans. Most humans store their opened insulin containers at room temperature, because they take it with them to work, out to dinner etc. and injecting a whole syringe full of cold insulin is uncomfortable. Most of us who use Lantus for our cats keep it (both opened and unopened) in the refrigerator; this can prolong the length of time that the insulin is still usable. On the forum I am a member of in Germany almost everyone was able to use their insulin for several months (mostly 6 months). Here is the important information about handling and storing Lantus http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=151.
    Like already mentioned using the cartridges or prefilled insulin pens can be more economical, should the opened insulin cartridge "go bad" then you are only wasting a small amount of insulin. At the same time should you drop and break a new vial you are wasting 10ml of insulin, whereas a pen is first of all less breakable and only contains 3ml of insulin, so you would still have 4 more pens with 3ml each on hand.
    Important is to store and treat your insulin properly. Keep it refrigerated between 36 to 46 degrees F (2 to 8 degrees C), do not allow it to freeze (use a thermometer and check the temp in several locations in your fridge, avoid storing it on the door or near any walls or cooling elements. Try and protect it as much as possible from light (recap pens, and keep vials in the box when not in use) do not shake, roll, or "mix" the bottle, Lantus is a homogenous solution and does not require mixing. Don't mix anything with your Lantus (no water, or other insulin), do not pre-fill your syringes, always fill your syringe when you are ready to give your cat a shot (the small amounts you will be giving will be warm in seconds so it is not uncomfortable, you can hold the filled syringe between your fingers for a few seconds before injecting). Do not squirt excess insulin (should you draw too much into your syringe) back into the bottle; squirt the excess into the sink or onto a paper towel.

Should you need to get a refill of Lantus, ask about getting pens or cartridges, and call or shop around at your local pharmacies, some are cheaper than others and sometimes offer a discount to holders of a customer card. Some people have ordered their Lantus from online pharmacies in Canada and have saved money even after paying shipping costs (disadvantage is you may have to wait 10 days or more to get your order) but if you have time it might be 25-40 dollars less.

It is a big expense (no matter which insulin) all at once, between the vet bill for diagnosis, insulin and supplies, and new food etc. but I believe the little extra that it costs now can save you in the long run, "pay now or pay later". Good Luck to you and your "sugar kitty" dancing_cat

Edited 100x to get the link right!

6. Janet & Binky (GA)

Janet & Binky (GA) Senior Member Staff Member Moderator

Split thread for mkp.

7. Tina & Sammy

Tina & Sammy Well-Known Member

My cat is also on Lantus and I was worried about the same thing, then a friend of mine who is a pharmacist told me that I could use the insulin much longer than one month, she said you could probably us it for 6 mo to a year.

8. mkp

mkp New Member

If you can use the Lantus for longer than the ~1 month recommendations for humans, how do you know when it goes bad/is no longer effective?

9. Tara and Nick

Tara and Nick Member

If you're home testing, you can tell if you start to get higher numbers with no other explanation, or if the Lantus starts to look cloudy or has floaties.

My vet said her clients use theirs for more than 6 months with no trouble. My mom goes 2-3 months for her cat. I'm trying 3 months for my cat right now, and I think I'll try a month longer each time if I see no problem with the numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.