Insulin resistant or actromegaly

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by MamaMama, Oct 24, 2021.

1. MamaMama

MamaMama New Member

I’ve read many posts on this site over the last 2 plus years for guidance. At this point we are at a lost and along with our vet and the speciality hospital we recently visited. My boy is 11years old & 25lbs. He was diagnosed with diabetes last spring. For a time we were able to keep his BM under 200. Since July of this year we have been struggling to get close to 200. Today his BM is 303 and he is currently on 5.5 units of lantus 2x a day. My vet is recommending we continue to increase his insulin. All his bloodwork looks fine and appropriate for a cat with diabetes. I believe he is in pain but X-rays and test show no source.His litter box lives in my living room since he won’t use it unless it’s close by. He will sometimes poop outside the litter box. especially if I don’t sleep with him every night. I’m advised the only thing we can do is keep him comfortable and try getting his BM down…

1) How long has your cat been on insulin? Year & half

2) At what insulin dose did you start? 2 units

3) How was the insulin increased and by how much, and over how long a period of time? Gradually- Currently at 5.5 units 2x day

4) How did you determine that an increase was needed? BG is currently high 200s

5) Are you home testing now, and if so, have you kept a record? Yes- weekly

6) What food are you feeding? fancy feast ( classic beef) & purina DM 3/4 cup

7) Have you noticed changes in the way your cat breathes? Yes- vet said it was probably a bit of asthma from being over weight.Any changes in their eye sight? Not that I’ve noticed

8) Have you noticed any behavioral changes in your cat? He has good days and bad days. He sometimes will not use his litter box for BMs.

9) Have you noticed any physical changes in your cat's appearance? No

10) Has your cat had a tendency to gain weight despite no increases in amount of food you are feeding? Yes. We’ve stuck to the diet our vet has recommended. He initially lost a pound but has winced gained.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome. This post contains some questions we'll all have, and describes what information we'd like to see to help you better:
    New? How You Can Help Us Help You!

You'll see that most of us are home testing blood sugars and keep track of the data in a spreadsheet. Looking at the patterns of data, we can determine how to change the dose, without going to the vet. It's possible he needs more than 5.5 units of Lantus. One test a day doesn't tell us much. Most of us test multiple times per day, not once a week.

If you can, I'd get rid of the purina DM dry food. It's too high in carbs for a diabetic cat. What is your vet recommending for diet in terms of quantity?

3. MamaMama

MamaMama New Member

Hello!
    Thanks for your response.

I home test and have a spreadsheet. My vet recommended I check at the 8 hour mark. I recently went down to once a week because it stresses P out and I get around the same number consistently since July.

my vet recommended the DM- 1 cup a day. I’ve tried getting him off of it. He really doesn’t want the fancy feast. He’ll eat a little before each shot but that’s it.

QUOTE="Wendy&Neko, post: 2868938, member: 5773"]Hello and welcome. This post contains some questions we'll all have, and describes what information we'd like to see to help you better:
    New? How You Can Help Us Help You!

You'll see that most of us are home testing blood sugars and keep track of the data in a spreadsheet. Looking at the patterns of data, we can determine how to change the dose, without going to the vet. It's possible he needs more than 5.5 units of Lantus. One test a day doesn't tell us much. Most of us test multiple times per day, not once a week.

If you can, I'd get rid of the purina DM dry food. It's too high in carbs for a diabetic cat. What is your vet recommending for diet in terms of quantity?[/QUOTE]

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I never fed Fancy Feast, there are lots of alternatives that are still low carb.

Once a week testing is not enough to know what he's doing. And there is no guarantee 8 hours after the shot is when he's lowest. My girl could go from over 400's down to less than 100 and back up to 300's all in one cycle. Are you giving P a treat every time you test? It didn't take Neko long to figure out that me getting out the test kit meant a treat, and she'd come running. In fact, I couldn't go to bed at night without giving her a before bed test. Maybe some tips in this post will help: Hometesting Links and Tips