Insulin spray from vial

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Karen & Charlie, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Karen & Charlie

Karen & Charlie Member

I've only been doing this for a couple of weeks, but in the last few days, after my syringe is loaded, as I pull it out of the vial, a tiny spray of insulin follows. Anyone else experience this?

Here is exactly how I load:
    • Pull air into syringe
    • Inject syringe through stopper
    • Expel syringe air into vial
    • Draw insulin
    • Expel insulin into vial to reach correct dose
    I'm on my 2nd vial in 2 weeks (left 1st one out overnight, hard lesson); this spray phenomenon didn't occur with the 1st vial. Pertinent? I don't know...

Any feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks..

~K

2. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about the spraying; that hasn't happened to me. However, one thing I'd like to bring up is that I was taught not to expel insulin back into the vial to reach the correct dose. The syringes have a bit of lubricant in them, which can end up back in your vial, which you don't want.

So I'd recommend expelling the insulin onto a paper towel or anywhere but back into the vial. That said, I use Lantus, and I notice you're using Vetsulin, so maybe it's not the same concern with expelling back into the vial? Sorry, I don't know. Anyways, food for thought. :)

tiffmaxee likes this.
  3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I’m sorry you threw out the first vial. I’m sure it was fine. Humans never restitutions because they use it up with their larger doses. I forgot and left my busks out more than once and they still lasted about 6 months. I preferred the pens because I could use them to the last drop. I wasted half a vial each time.

4. Karen & Charlie

Karen & Charlie Member

Yeah, I posted to the wrong insulin group; though, someone told me the Vetsulin group gets little action since Vetsulin isn't commonly used. Thanks for the heads up about the syringe lube...!

Butters & Lyla and Sue and Luci like this.
  5. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Ah, that was more for me than anything, just in case Vetsulin is somehow different. It's good that you came here to ask! :)

Charlie is gorgeous, by the way! Such beautiful colouring!

6. Karen & Charlie

Karen & Charlie Member

He's a sweetie; I'll bet Butters is, too!

Butters & Lyla likes this.