Introducing Peacock on the ProZinc Forum

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Peacock, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Peacock

Peacock Member

Hi all,

I have been meaning to post over here but was waiting until our schedule and spreadsheet were straightened out a bit. We have had a bumpy week due the vet messing with her dosing because he wanted to "really put her to the test." Ugh. Also my teenager has a broken foot, so I have been driving across town every morning, when school starts at the same time as Peacock's normal AMPS, so we had to shift that. We made the shift from 8 to 630, trying to be gradual but had to jump more than we wanted on Monday to make it work.

I have been working on finding a good equilibrium dose, with the same amount for AM/PM, and tried .3 and then .2, which seemed to be working until the vet visit. Right now I am dosing .1 (based on U40 ProZinc, but am using u100 needles, so if you look at the spreadsheet you will see two columns for dosing, the second column being the u100 conversion). I anticipate that we will hold at the .1 dose over the weekend, and see if that keeps Peacock in the right range.

I have to go pick up my kid, will be back later.

2. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

Welcome to the Prozinc forum! Sounds like it has been a really stressful few weeks for you. I hope you are able to relax this weekend and take some time for yourself. I think as caregivers (to both sugarbubs and humans) we tend to forget that aspect.

I'm newer here as well and will always defer to some more experienced members for dosing. This forum isn't usually as busy as lantus or main forum, so sometimes it may take some time to get an educated response. As such it's always helpful to read up and learn as much as you can and go with your 'mama gut' at times.

Your spreadsheet looks great and has a lot of good data to go off of! Keep up the good work and give Peacock some scritchies for me. :bighug:

3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hi there, and welcome! It does sound like you've been through a lot lately!

Did the vet give you the numbers from their curve? If so, I'd be curious to see how she did with that dose. Yikes!

As for your current dose - the numbers you're getting are just fine, and you can certainly leave her there for now and continue to monitor in case that becomes too much or too little over the next few cycles. Overall Peacock is looking great!

4. Peacock

Peacock Member

Thanks MamaMug! :)

Djamila, the vet said he got a high of 260 and a low of 56(!) and he seemed really pleased. I did not get a readout with times or duration, so I did not plug it into slots on the spreadsheet. The more I think about it the more aggravated I get. I told him in March I planned to do a curve, but he said to wait on doing a curve until after he saw her in the office, because he wanted to be sure I took the right precautions, and then he does that jacked up dose and takes her for a test drive. I don't really understand the reason for it. Then he said her numbers look good enough that I don't need to continue to test at home. I will anyway, of course. It is a delicate situation, since I am still fostering to adopt, and he is the vet for the shelter.

I am so grateful for the wisdom and support here!

5. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

I'm glad you're on board with home testing. I've seen this kind of anecdote before, vets saying home testing isn't needed. I honestly can't wrap my head around it. If you are able to test with relative ease, why not? More data is better in wrapping our heads around how to take care of these kids.

Peacock and Djamila like this.
  6. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

That is horrifying. What is wrong with that man?!?! :mad: Thank goodness you know better! Give Peacock extra chin scratches from me. She deserves some spoiling after being put through that nonsense! I hope she bit him. ;):cat:

Rachel and Peacock like this.
  7. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Tina and Gracie (GA) Member

Welcome to ProZinc-land!

I can’t remember who told me this on the board, but someone at one time gave me the analogy of . . . You wouldn’t blindly give your kid insulin, so why would you blindly give your pet insulin.

I’m glad Peacock has a mom like you.

Hoping you and Peacock are less stressed this week!

Peacock and MamaMug like this.
  8. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to our little forum! Sounds like you and Peacock had a tough week! We're more than glad to help you with any dosing questions (or other questions!) that you have! Please feel free to post and let us know if we can do anything for you...or just to give us updates on Peacock!

Peacock likes this.
  9. Peacock

Peacock Member

The household stress level has leveled off a bit. On Sunday I brought the dose back up to 0.2u, since she seemed like she wasn't getting quite enough at 0.1u. My big challenge now is to measure the little doses without ending up with half of it being an air bubble. Getting better at it with practice! :)

MamaMug likes this.
  10. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Yeah! You made it over here to the ProZinc forum! And thank you for getting the spreadsheet sorted. You and Peacock are doing great despite the crazy vet:rolleyes:! Give Peacock some scritches from me too! :)

Peacock likes this.