Introducing Skipper

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Kathy4Skipper, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Kathy4Skipper

Kathy4Skipper Member

Hi Everybody!

This is my introductory message to the ProZinc group. Skipper has only been on insulin for 4 days. He's on 1u twice a day. His chart looks scary but I read that he didn't become diabetic overnight (albeit it seemed that it came on super fast), so I need to wait. Skipper also has slight pancreatitis. The antibiotics seem to be working because today is the first day he really meowed at me since the diagnosis. The vet asked me to come back in a week to check Skipper's blood glucose and was pleased that I'd be checking at home. I think I'm going to call the vet tomorrow to ask if we need to bump it up to 1.5u or still wait a full week. Thoughts are welcomed!

Nice to meet you!
    Kathy & Skipper

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

I’m not a dose advice girl but Wanted to say welcome and glad your vet is supportive of testing big hugs to you:bighug:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  3. Kathy4Skipper

Kathy4Skipper Member

Thank You for your warm welcome! :cat:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  4. Hshray

Hshray Well-Known Member

Welcome to the group! It’s so great that you have a spreadsheet started already! With SLGS for Prozinc, they usually recommend holding the dose for one week to see how he’s doing and to increase the dose in .25U increments to start (if his nadirs aren’t going low enough). It sounds like you’ve already read the protocol, but I’ll paste a link here for easy access too.

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/prozinc-dosing-methods.225629/

It’s also great that you’re home testing already…it took me a while to get it down. The best recommendation I got was to try to get at least one test mid-cycle during the day (looks like you’re doing this already!), and one pre-bedtime test to see where he’s going at night. If/when you need dosing advice, this will help others have a better picture of what he’s doing too.

If you ever need immediate advice, I’d recommend posting on the Main Health Forum because that one is more heavily trafficked than the ProZinc forum, so you will probably get a faster response there.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  5. Kathy4Skipper

Kathy4Skipper Member

Thank you for your reply! I didn't see it until now when I logged in to post. I must not have a setting checked to receive email notification... I'll look into that.

I had a cat with diabetes before so it was easier for me to get started with the home testing and spreadsheet. I kinda purged my brain after that cat passed away so I had to dust the cobwebs out and remember what I did. I found myself wishing I'd left better notes.

The vet call tonight and said that since Skipper isn't budging, that I need to give 2u twice a day starting tomorrow and that's quite a bit different from the protocol. Thanks for posting the protocol link for me because I definitely need to print it out and refer to it. I just read it and it says "If nadirs are more than 200, increase the dose by 0.5u."

And thank you for recommending to me that I should post on the Main Health Forum for quicker help... I didn't think about doing that.

Thanks again for your help... I need someone looking over my shoulder!

Deb & Wink and Hshray like this.
  6. Hshray

Hshray Well-Known Member

I need someone looking over my shoulder too haha. So this group has been good :)

I started with SLGS but switched to the Modified Prozinc Method of dosing (MPM) rather recently because George was kind of all over the place. With MPM, doses are increased by 0.5U if the nadir is over 200, but I believe the following is the increase guidance for SLGS:
    • If nadirs are more than 150 mg/dl (8.3 mmol/L), increase the dose by 0.25 unit

Deb & Wink likes this.
  7. Kathy4Skipper

Kathy4Skipper Member

I'm getting email notifications now. Yay.

Thanks for pointing out that in the Modified Prozinc Method of dosing (MPM), doses are increased by 0.5U if the nadir is over 200. I'll read the protocol closer tomorrow... I'm fading really fast. Zzzz

Deb & Wink and Hshray like this.