Is it time to switch insulins?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Donna J, Feb 12, 2022.

1. Donna J

Donna J New Member

My cat's numbers are all over the place. How do you know if switching insulins will help?
    Baby cat is 5 years old, dx April

2. Hshray

Hshray Well-Known Member

I personally had a hard time getting my cat regulated on Prozinc too (and even worse on Vetsulin before that). I switched to Lantus in July and he has been regulated since September now.

Donna J likes this.
  3. Donna J

Donna J New Member

Thank you. I need to order a new bottle soon but I'm not sure if I should try Lantus. His numbers are just all over the place and I can't make any sense of it.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Donna! I was just looking at your spreadsheet from your question on the Feline Diabetes group and came here to say exactly that.

If this were my cat, I think I'd try Lantus and see if you get better results. Baby doesn't seem to be responding very well to the ProZinc.

If you can get a script for Lantus, you can get it a lot cheaper if you buy it from Canada. Here's information on buying insulin from Canada. You can just take a picture of the script and send it to them with their order form, by email or text (and you never have to get another script...they will refill as long as you need it)

You'll also need to remember to change to U100 insulin syringes.

All these syringes have half unit markings (very important when you're doing microdosing) and are the correct syringes for U100 insulin and are available from ADW online:
    UltiCare
    Monoject
    Carepoint
    Sure Comfort
    B/D

Or you can get them at WalMart for $12.58/100. You want the Relion 3/10ml, 30 or 31 gauge insulin syringes (and they have half unit marks). The packaging can be different but if it has the purple stripe, they're the right ones.
    upload_2022-2-12_19-10-9.jpeg

Hshray and Donna J like this.
  5. Donna J

Donna J New Member

Thank you! I'm going to call my vet this week then. Do I start the dose at the same as he gets now? Currently 2.25U

6. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Agree wholeheartedly with what Chris and Hilary said, he's not giving you any room to increase insulin but hes losing duration like crazy and these preshots are running away from you.

When you are ready to switch let us know. Given those greens, the recommendation might be to try 2U instead, but let's see where he's at

Donna J and Hshray like this.
  7. Chris & China (GA)

We do take into consideration the dose he is on when you switch. You wouldn't start over because all that usually does is waste time while you work your way back up to an effective dose.

If he's still on 2.25 when you switch, we'll probably suggest you start at 2U.

You do need to get back in the habit of getting at least 1 test on the PM cycle other than the PMPS (like at least a "before bed" test). Without data on the PM cycle, you're missing half the picture! That's like putting a puzzle together but only filling in pieces on one side.

Can I ask you to do us all a favor? On your spreadsheet along the bottom, on the 2022 tab, right click and choose "move left" until it's as far to the left as it goes.

Donna J likes this.
  8. Donna J

Donna J New Member

How do I move the sheet? I'm using my phone.

9. Donna J

Donna J New Member

That's what I was thinking. I've tried dose changes but he ends up bouncing and I can't regulate him. Thank you.

FrostD likes this.
  10. Donna J

Donna J New Member

I found it!

Chris & China (GA) and Hshray like this.
  11. Chris & China (GA)

Good job!!

Donna J likes this.