Is it time to up the dose?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Finster, Sep 2, 2022.

1. Finster

Finster Member

I have the next three days off. Should I use the time to start the MPM dosing?
    Finster is showing some of the same signs he did when he was diagnosed two months ago. Lack of energy, increased appetite, long drinks at the water bowl, and his fur looks rumpled. From what I understand these symptoms can mean hyper or hypoglycemia. His numbers aren't terribly high, but his diabetes persists and there aren't many greens on his SS. He has been on .25 units twice/day for nine days. Thanks for any advice. TGIF

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Yes, I would go up to 0.5U.

I would not expect those symptoms at these numbers. You test enough that you aren't missing hypoglycemia, and he sure isn't hyperglycemic either.

Keep an eye on him, those symptoms lean hyperthyroid to me + possibly GI + possibly kidneys if they persist.

Finster likes this.
  3. Finster

Finster Member

I will start .5 in the am. His blood work from June was good except the glucose. Maybe I should have more blood work done? Thank you for your help. Untitled 2.png Untitled.png

4. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Yes. I remember looking at that bloodwork. It wasn’t bad. But things can sometimes change rapidly in older cats. I would increase since you are able to monitor over the next few days.

Finster likes this.
  5. Finster

Finster Member

Thank you. I will start the new dose with am shot. I will have his bloodwork checked next week, too.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  6. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I wouldn't rush to get bloodwork, but if the symptoms/behaviors continue despite being as well-regulated as he is, then yes I would recheck thyroid/kidneys, consider GI panel...plus any other ideas vet may have.

It's also worth checking ketones.

Mr Kitty's thyroid tanked pretty quickly....I'm realizing I'm missing a set of labs in my SS, but it went from normal range to significantly hyperthyroid in less than 3 months. So like Suzanne said things can change quickly!

7. Finster

Finster Member

that is fast!
    Maybe the increased insulin will do the trick. He was in the green more often just a few weeks ago.

Suzanne & Darcy and FrostD like this.
  8. Finster

Finster Member

AMPS 137. That's not very high, right? Gave .5 this morning and his coat looks better already and he seems more comfortable, BUT he spent long time at the water bowl having a big drink after breakfast.
    Also, he lost 1 lbs over the last two weeks. I thought it was from inappetence due to fur ball but maybe not :(
    I hope to find nadir for am and pm.

9. Finster

Finster Member

+1 is 147 and another big drink at the water bowl but his coat still looks good and he looks more comfy than he has in days.
    I am going to schedule the mobile vet, less stress than trip in the car, to come do blood work. I just hate the thought of something else being wrong and I'm not addressing it-thyroid, kidneys, infection. Please let me know if there is a specific test I should request that could provide helpful info about Fin's health.

10. Finster

Finster Member

+2 is 100. Seems like steep drop. He is sleeping but not unconscious.

11. Finster

Finster Member

I hope it's okay to post hourly like this. If it's too much please let me know and I'll update at each shot.
    +3 and 15 minutes is 96. I was a little late on the check. He ate about tbsp of LC wet food AFTER +3 check. His coat is rumpled again but he's awake :)

12. Suzanne & Darcy

When you do get the bloodwork get a cbc, chemistry/electrolyte panel, and urinalysis all at the same time. Don’t skip the urinalysis as there’s too much important info in there that bloodwork will not show. If your vet uses the IDEXX lab you can request the Total Health Plus Basic which includes a all of those things and a T4 for one price. I would recommend having the bloodwork sent out to a lab because you get more “bang for your buck” than when they run the labs in house (although you can ask them). Lab results should be back to the bet the next morning. If you have them trained like I do, they automatically email me the results without my asking. Lol.

Finster likes this.
  13. Suzanne & Darcy

I am glad he’s having little snacks! Given all the drinking and that weight loss you mentioned, I would definitely try to get him scheduled with that mobile vet. Hopefully your mobile vet has more availability than mine. Every time I call them it’s weeks before we can be seen. Oh well, it’s probably just as well since she got pissy about me not doing annual vaccines on my cats (who have already had their vaccines for a couple of years) so I really don’t want to go there with her again!

14. Suzanne & Darcy

Just checking in on y’all. I see he’s at 103 now. Flat cat.

Finster likes this.
  15. Finster

Finster Member

Flat is good right? Or do we want a curve? but he's not green for very long. thanks for checkin!

16. Finster

Finster Member

My mobile vet is pretty responsive. Not someone I can call in emergency, but she makes it out within the week. I wish she could do more-dental cleaning for starters.

17. Finster

Finster Member

Yes, she mails the bloodwork/urine to outside lab.

18. Finster

Finster Member

+7 is 140. I don't have much data for +7,8,9 but I wouldn't have anticipated such a spike. He's sleeping comfortably.

19. Suzanne & Darcy

Well it’s better than dropping too low. I do wish he would stay green for longer - although it was a high green - he didn’t seem to get very long duration today because he’s already back up about preshot level.

20. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

My only other thought would be a GI panel, but those are a bit pricey. See how the other bloodwork comes back first.

Finster likes this.
  21. Finster

Finster Member

Then +9 dropped back down to 129 and then PMPS 123.

22. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I'd consider that meter variance

23. Suzanne & Darcy

That would be my recommendation as well.

Finster likes this.
  24. Suzanne & Darcy

Hi. How is Fin doing today/tonight?

Finster likes this.
  25. Finster

Finster Member

Hi, he's had a really good day and even better evening. Good energy and although this morning he had a huge drink after breakfast, he hasn't been at the water bowl this evening. His PMPS is almost in the green zone but he ate pretty well although it takes him the better part of two hours to eat 1/2 can. Hopefully he continues this trend. Did you see he had a green last night and today :)

26. Suzanne & Darcy

Fantastic! Yes, I looked and saw those greens :D:D:D

27. Finster

Finster Member

Fin had another good day. I didn't test as much as I would like to and I didn't catch any greens but he seems comfortable. He has energy and an appetite :)

FrostD and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  28. Suzanne & Darcy

He could have dipped into green after that 101, but who knows. You are doing a great job!

Finster and FrostD like this.
  29. Finster

Finster Member

He takes hours to eat his meals. Is it worth doing a +2 or +3 if he has eaten off and on during those hours? He takes little bites here and there, eats some of the pieces, spits others out and often I have to throw out half a can and start over with fresh. He isn't eating more calories he just spreads them out over the course of 2-3 hrs.