Is one-month vet recheck necessary for a newly diagnosed diabetic cat?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Liang & Nathan, Jun 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

Hello all,

Nathan was diagnosed diabetic on 05/15/2020. The vet said he would like to see him in about one month.

Today I called to make the appointment, but the vet's time has been booked and the first available date will be 07/03/2020.

Is it ok to recheck at that time? If so, I will go with the 07/03/2020 appointment.

Or must it be around in one month? If so, I may need to reschedule with another vet who has a sooner availability.

Nathan is doing ok, without an urgent need to see the vet.

And usually what does the vet do in the one-month recheck? At first the vet said he would like to do a BG curve. But on a later phone conversation, he said he would just do the fructosamine test. Nathan's BG has dropped a lot recently. Is the fructosamine test really necessary (the vet charged $102 for the test)? If I don't want to do the fructosamine test, what else can ask him to do?

Thank you all.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If Nathan is doing well, I don't think a vet visit is really necessary.

He's looking really great so I don't know what other information you could gain from going.

3. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

A fructosamine test would be pointless for you, that's probably all he wants to look at. Send him Nathan's SS if you like but I wouldn't see any reason to take him either. I didn't take my girl for almost a year (except one time solely to show her off, was so proud of her improvement).

4. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

Thank you ladies.

On his blood test results on 05/15/2020, he had the following abnormal values except the BG of 423: Reticulocytes as 67 (reference value 3-50 k/UL), ALP as 86 (reference value 12-59 U/L).

Urinalysis: Glucose 3+ (1000 mg/dL)

If I go to the appointment, do you think I should ask to re-test these values to see if they are backto normal?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Reticulocytes are just immature red blood cells. If his RBC count was OK, it's probably not worth rechecking.

The ALP is a liver enzyme test but if it's the only one elevated, I doubt if testing again is necessary, especially if Nathan is acting like he feels fine.

As for the Glucose in the urine, you sure don't need to repeat that. Your blood glucose testing is a lot more accurate.

6. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

Thank you very much.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

And to add to this the liver enzyme is only a tiny bit elevated. My vet said it needs to be at least over double the high range to be concerned. They fluctuate. Save your money.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.