? Is this a possible bounce?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tiffany Smith, Jan 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiffany Smith

Tiffany Smith Member

Good morning everyone. Its been a little while since Ive had to post any questions as we have been doing pretty good. But over the past week, I have seen some unusual things that I have questions about. The short of it is that we have started a brand new bottle of insulin, still Prozinc. The last bottle was felt to be losing its potency bc we were having to increase the dosage nearing the 2 month mark. I hate to say that try as I might, with the nervousness of being new at this and learning all the tips and tricks, that bottle was abused (dropped, left out twice, air being pushed into the insulin itself instead of just the bottle. I ended up watching the videos on the ProZinc website to get a better idea of how to handle this next bottle). Anyway, I naturally lowered her dose when starting the new bottle bc I was afraid it would be too strong.

So here is what Im wondering, looking at her spreadsheet, she has hit into the yellows 3 days in a row. Thats a first in a long time as you will see. Also, what is the deal with BG rising even after her shot? Thats happened 3 times and always with her PM shot. I keep coming back to the possibility of bouncing, but from what I understand it has to be like crazy spikes or drops. Hers aren't alarming, just there enough know this isn't her normal. Could she be trying to bounce?

I look forward to feedback regarding this and some suggestions on what I should do. Thanks in advance!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. Tiffany Smith

Tiffany Smith Member

Deb & Wink likes this.
  3. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Some of that rise at +2 is part of the "food bump". It takes time for the Prozinc to start taking effect, and that is usually around the +2 time frame. So it looks like the insulin hasn't kicked into action yet, but the food is bumping up or raising the BG numbers.

If this new vial of Prozinc doesn't bring Nala's BG levels lower, I think you need to increase the dose.
    If you have the chance, a curve done on your next day off would be worthwhile.

Tiffany Smith likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

try a fat 1... JUUUUUST past the 1 mark. If it's still not enough you could do 1.25 Overall it's looking great! Love all those blues and greens!!!!

Deb & Wink and Tiffany Smith like this.
  5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Tiffany,

I'm glad to see that Deb and Janet have helped out here because I've not used Prozinc and would have been no help at all. :(

Mogs

Deb & Wink and Tiffany Smith like this.
  6. Tiffany Smith

Tiffany Smith Member

Thanks SO much ladies!! All of you, I really appreciate your input. I hope you all are doing well and staying warm. You guys have a wonderful night :bighug:

Deb & Wink and Critter Mom like this.
  7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

You too, Tiffany. :bighug:

Mogs

Deb & Wink likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.