It's official... CC has Acro

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by JanetNJ, May 10, 2019.

1. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Not really surprised, but CC has been diagnosed officially as having Acro. The vet was like "OK we feel better about the doses you're giving now."... haha CC is currently taking 11-12 units. Super high by most standards, but i know a lot of acro cats have been on even higher. it is what it is. So I guess I'm going to have to do my homework now about what the next steps will be as far as treating her.

2. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

So sorry. Sending healing vibes your way

3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Well, at least now you know. :bighug::bighug::bighug: My hunch would be Cabergoline and Levemir might be a good direction to head. I've seen it do some really amazing things with kitties in the past few years. I would bet that the folks over in L/L can lead you to some threads that would show the journey. The only one I can remember by name is @Beenie because she was over here in prozinc for awhile before heading over to try Levemir, but I'm sure there are others too.

JanetNJ likes this.
  4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Not such good news but like Djamila said, at least you know now instead of having to wonder :bighug:. We know she's in very capable and caring hands with you, Janet! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

JanetNJ likes this.
  5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

It's unfortunate but knowledge is power, Janet. I agree with Djamila about trying cabergoline and levemir. I think you'd find the transition to that insulin far less daunting that you might be imagining it to be. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

JanetNJ likes this.
  6. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Sorry, Janet.

7. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I think we all expected that news, Janet. I am sorry to hear it, but having answers is good...at least you KNOW now why she's been harder to manage and why her SS has never been as pretty as some others. I recall working with you on CC before and we were both often baffled at the way her numbers acted...but now we have a better understanding of why! The good news is acro isn't the end of the world...I agree that Lev is often used with amazing results from what I've heard. I'd at least ask over there probably and see if you can find some good threads on it to get a better understanding of how it's been treated whether you choose to change insulins or not.

JanetNJ likes this.
  8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Not surprising at all. And now my vet won't look at me like I'm killing my cat with the doses in giving. Lol

I may change just because ordering it from Marks it will save me some$$$. Right now I'm buying 10 ml vials of ProZinc every 3 weeks for $106. I could get 15 ml pens for $169.... But with 100 units concentration compared to 40 it should last longer, right?

9. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Yes, Lev will last a lot longer because it's 2.5 times more concentrated. Ordering from Marks is the way to go. :)