? Jade 8/24/18 Week 4 remission/random test 125/now what??

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jill & Jade, Aug 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jill & Jade

Jill & Jade Well-Known Member

Well....I wasn't expecting this.
    She last ate at 10:30am. I just gave her her weekly test and got 125. What should I gather from this?? Could her skin rash be an infection?? That number made my stomach turn.

2. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Jill, give it a few days and keep checking . I was wondering the other day when you showed photo of her belly , did you say she had licked the fur away or was licking cos irritated? I ask because I had a kitty who turned out hyperthyroid and he “ barbered” or licked constantly leaving bald spots . Not sure if this helps but thought I’d throw it out there:) Prayers to you both ... Elmo has been OTJ for 18 months and I still hold my breath when I take his BG

3. Jill & Jade

Thanks for the response.. she’s had alopecia for quite awhile. The spots are new tho. I don’t know if they are from over grooming or not? My heart is just sinking...

4. Jill & Jade

I have read that alopecia is a symptom of diabetes. But if she’s in remission, I would think it would be getting better and not worse. She’s displaying no hyperthyroidism symptoms. She’s not hyper, excessively thirsty or havingbrapid weight loss.

5. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Sending prayers and hugs to you both :bighug: As exciting as OTJ is it still makes you be on guard and vigilant. Hoping all it is is skin irritation :bighug::bighug:

Jill & Jade likes this.
  6. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Sometimes they get a higher BG number when in remission. Check out Davidson's chart from 2013, once he was in remission I checked his blood every week for a year, then every 2 weeks the second year, 3 weeks the third year - you'll see some blues there too. Luckily in his 4th year I still checked every 5-6 weeks and then BIGNO - he went up within a month of checking last Jan. and in March and now back on the band wagon from an infection. It takes time for the pancreas to adjust and bounces will happen. Keep testing so you can catch anything in advance. Hopefully it's just an temporary issue and will pass.

Jill & Jade likes this.
  7. Jill & Jade

Thank you! How often should I test her now that I’ve caught a blue? It’s been really difficult to not do it every hour since I saw it... : (
    Tomorrow morning? When I get home tonight? A few days?

8. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Test 3 hours after she eats to see if the number is lower if you're able. Rex has had some blue numbers. It's always due to constipation, him not feeling well, or another cat not feeling well.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Jill & Jade likes this.
  9. Jill & Jade

Thank you... actually, I had just commented this morning that she’s constipated. I will test her 3 hours after breakfast tomorrow.

10. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Keep a good watch, don't change food and no treats with carbs...........if there's an infection, stress, or something else going on then it could be that's what's affecting the BG nos............you wan to be diligent and catch it, so go back to testing 2 hrs before food, then 2 after eating and spot tests in between to see if she gets back into the green. If blues for 2-3 days then you know something is wrong and I would start to give her a bit of insulin so she doesn't get used to the higher nos.

Jill & Jade likes this.
  11. Jill & Jade

Ok. Tomorrow morning I’ll start testing regularly again and using my SS. :(

12. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

You should always update your SS even when in remission so everyone can see what the previous situation was when and if back on insulin...........yeah, a PITA, but it is what it is...........

13. Jill & Jade

I have updated once a week.

14. Jill & Jade

So... 2 hours before.. feed.. 2 hours after. And the + 2 should be lower than the 2 hour before food number, correct?

15. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Did you add the note about constipation on the SS? I do that if I notice the number is higher and constipation is in play. If I think Rex is constipated, I test.

Talking about this reminds me I haven't tested in a while. I better test. :D Also, I try to vary the times I test.

Jill & Jade likes this.
  16. Jill & Jade

And just out of curiosity, why 2 hours before feeding as opposed to just before feeding if it’s been several hours before she’s eaten. Meaning, if she doesn’t eat in the night, can’t I just test her before she has breakfast? Then 2 hours later to see if her number is lower?

17. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Sorry, missed that on the SS....the +2 is not always lower, all depends on food and how fast it digests or where the nadir is. Some are lowest 5-7 hrs later, that why we test in between the usual +2 and +4 tests.....I personally would test as you did when in insulin maybe 4-5 test per day just to see what’s up. Good that you tested and saw the rise.

Jill & Jade likes this.
  18. Jill & Jade

Got it... so if I know she’s on an empty stomach, can I test right before breakfast and then + 2 and +3?

19. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey Jill. Did you retest when you got that number? It could have been a bad test and with meter variance +/- 20% it could have been 105 which isn't terrible.

I know that sick feeling all too well. I agree with Beth and just stay on the testing each day so if there is something going on and she starts to trend upwards higher, you will be on top of it to start back the insulin if you need too.

Whenever Bubba is constipated, it makes his numbers shoot up. When was the last dental cleaning? That is one of the # 1 things that can take a kitty out of remission.

Jill & Alex (GA) and Jill & Jade like this.
  20. Jill & Jade

She’ll also be on an empty stomach when I get home from work tonight. I’ll see what her number is then as well. Her usually shot time was 11 and 11 ...
    I hate that I’m even having to worry. Makes me so sad.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  21. Jill & Jade

She was definitely constipated this morning. I had even mentioned it before I even gave her her weekly test. Dental, never. But the vet said ( in May) that her teeth looked good. I didn’t retest today. I felt awful thinking of starting the poking again...

22. Mandy & Rex (GA)

23. Bobbie And Bubba

I think if she was constipated that could cause her to rise up. Get the poops moving and I bet you'll see her come down. Give her a little pat of butter, or a pat of olive oil or coconut oil. Bubba loves coconut oil and it always gets him moving.

Jill & Alex (GA) and Jill & Jade like this.
  24. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

yeah that's for sure...........anything can set the BG's off. FWIW, Davidson was at the Vet end of last Nov.........teeth were great, no issues and then in March when I saw the BG's up I took him back. He had infections up in the root of the tooth. No odors or pain from Davidson but that caused him to come out of remission and I did the dental surgery...........not making you worry, but we have to do the process of elimination thing to see what's causing it. Hopefully it's just a day or two and once she poops she'll be good to go.....

Jill & Jade and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  25. Jill & Jade

I will do that!

26. Jill & Jade

How much coconut oil??

27. Bobbie And Bubba

Maybe a tsp. I used to put in on my hands before I went to bed and both the cats would stalk me and lick my hands!!! I'd have to get up and go wash my hands........... LOL

Sue and Luci and Jill & Jade like this.
  28. Jill & Jade

I sure hope it works and that’s all it is!!

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  29. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Sending vines to you guys and lots of prayers:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:
    I hope it’s just something off

Jill & Jade likes this.
  30. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear you're worried. I hope it's nothing. I give my kitties SEB a few times a week & they never have a poop problem. I empty 1 cap in a shot glass add water & into an oral syringe. They don't seem to mind it at all.
    No dry food , right?

I'll be checking on you & Jade. :) :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Beth 73 and Jill & Jade like this.
  31. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope it's just constipation and Jade gets back to surfing the lagoon. Sending prayers.

Jill & Jade likes this.
  32. Jill & Jade

What’s SEB?? And thank you!!

33. JoyBee&Ravan

SEB Slippery Elm https://draxe.com/slippery-elm/ It helps my Kitties with nausea & constipation. It's good fo a lot of things.

[​IMG]
    Oregon's Wild Harvest Slippery Elm Organic Capsules, 90 Count

Beth 73 and Sue and Luci like this.
  34. Jill & Jade

Right!! Have some coming!

35. Jill & Jade

I got the paste.... is that correct?

36. JoyBee&Ravan

I mix it with water so it's not thick Only about a teaspoon. Put it into an oral feeding syringe & a few squirts in the side of the mouth.

If you don't have a feeding syringe you can try with just a spoon . Have you given any liquids by mouth before?

Did you order the Paste? or you have it at home?

I use the capsules. Just open one & empty it into a shot glass & add water.

Jill & Jade likes this.
  37. JoyBee&Ravan

Did you read the info on the website I sent? Lots of interesting info about SEB.

38. Jill & Jade

not yet... I’m going to use the coconut paste tonight... I have that on hand. Just not sure if I dilute it?

39. JoyBee&Ravan

Do you mean in a jar?

You could try just putting some on your finger Some cats will lick it. They seem to like the taste.

If you put some in your mouth it just melts.

Jill & Jade likes this.
  40. Jill & Jade

Thank you!!

41. JoyBee&Ravan

Hope it helps! I used to eat a spoonful every day for my Hair. I read it was good for you & made your hair shiny! My Hair is solid white.
    I don't think the coconut oil did much for my hair! ( maybe it made it whiter? HA!):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::)

Jill & Jade likes this.
  42. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

I hope it is just a scare and with a nice poo, Jade goes back to greens only! Sending vines and hugs!:bighug:

Jill & Jade likes this.
  43. Jill & Jade

6:20 A.M... there’s a fresh poop and ....64!! I hope it stays in the green! Fed her and will test later.
    Thank you all for the love , advice ,and poo prayers!

44. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Yay for poop! :):cat::D

Jill & Jade likes this.
  45. Bobbie And Bubba

Hip hip horray ! Let's here it for Poop!

46. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Here we go again - celebrating POOP :bighug::bighug:

47. JoyBee&Ravan

Do you think the Poop was from giving Coconut oil?

Jill & Jade likes this.
  48. Jill & Jade

I think so....I'm not 100% shes the pooper, but considering her #, I assume it was.

49. Jill & Jade

She liked it at first, then I put it on her belly and ears where she's been over grooming and now she's mad at me and won't eat anymore of it. She doesn't like anything being "done to her" even if it's painless. Drama Queen.

50. JoyBee&Ravan

Sometimes it just takes a while before they get used to something new. Tiny Baby steps, a little at a time :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.