Java and Lois, new here, diagnosed Oct., need better MO

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lois and Java, Jan 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lois and Java

Lois and Java Member

Kris, are you there? He's at 395 at 6 pm, or, +9.
    eta (edit to add): I'm going to feed him now then shoot.
    He hasn't eaten since I tested him 2 hours ago.
    Shot: 6:45 PM, .5
    First bowl with Young Again food. It's a hit! I put 2 Tbsp in a bowl and he ate about half. Plus FF.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Try to get back on a 12/12 shooting schedule tomorrow. Your PM dose was 2.5 hours early so you're overlapping with the last part of the AM dose. The effect will be offset by the lower dose you gave but he'll have more than 0.5 u of PZI in him this evening. That will govern the BG levels.

3. Lois and Java

Lois and Java Member

Okay. Thanks!

4. Lois and Java

Lois and Java Member

5. Kris & Teasel

Yes, those are what you want. They show blood glucose as well but not with enough accuracy for monitoring. Be sure you read the instructions. Most strips need 15 seconds for the colour to develop properly. They should be viewed in good light and we all find that the colours for negative and trace are very close. I use the Bayer brand Ketodiastix. These are said to be similar in the site's description.

6. Lois and Java

Lois and Java Member

8:25 test was 425. Dang it. Stick to .5? .75? I can be here to test until +3, then gone until pm test time.
    Okay, wet cat feet encased in litter explosion plus dropped cat food can, argh. I think I should get .5 in him ASAP.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  7. Kris & Teasel

Could be a bounce number from that green yesterday. Did you end up giving 0.5 u? Let's see what PMPS is. All this is less stressful if you view it as a valuable data gathering exercise. Tomorrow's a new day. :)

Lois and Java likes this.
  8. Lois and Java

Lois and Java Member

Yes .5. my ferry is docking, can't look it up, I tested about 2 hrs later, I think it was 303 then.
    He is so happy to have young again crunchy food! Accurate that I can just let him free feed except 2 hrs before test, yah?

JanetNJ likes this.
  9. Kris & Teasel

Yes, free feeding is fine. It's the Young Again Mature Zero, right? I think that's the one people here recommend. I can't get it in Canada.

10. Lois and Java

Lois and Java Member

I'm having problem getting into SS from phone. Faster post here, hoping you might be up, 403 just now. I know it was my idea to stick with .5, but when it gets high I just keep thinking oh my gosh all his blood vessels are exploding, I have to get it down. So I was wondering if I should do .75, but if I don't hear from you, and I probably won't because I think it's midnight your time, then I will do .5 to simply stay the course.

11. Lois and Java

Lois and Java Member

My 12-12 schedule is starting to skew to 9 and 9.* It's actually pretty good timing for me tho I need to be outta here by 9 tomorrow am. Since I won't be back until mid or early afternoon, fail safe by .5 again? It's so high tho! I could ask neighbor to check on him at +2 and or +4.
    * It taking me 30-45 minutes to test, feed, make sure fed, give bowl again, shoot; have to remember it isn't 5 minutes each time.

12. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I'm glad he's liking the young again. Yes you can free feed it. I never found it to raise my cats numbers at all, so I never removed it, but if you find it does raise your cats numbers a bit then yes, pick it up 2 hours before preshot testing.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    Lois and Java likes this.
  13. Lois and Java

Lois and Java Member

Not understanding his numbers at all here!
    316 at 3 am, or +6.

14. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I would Do a fat 0.5 (just over the line) when the preshots are in that 400 area. You want those numbers back in the blues and high greens.

it took about two weeks on the ya food for it to help start bringing her numbers down.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  15. Kris & Teasel

Thanks for weighing in , Janet. I don't get to my computer until about 8 AM EST. I have three cats to tend to and Teasel's routine is part of that.

Lois - Janet's advice assumes that you have U40s with half unit marks. They'd be very useful to have ASAP. Also, if a 9 and 9 time schedule works better for you then go with that. You want something that's sustainable over time because consistency is key in getting Java under control. He's obviously sensitive to insulin and that can be good but it also means he needs a routine.

Don't panic and think that you have to intervene with insulin if he spikes a high BG. Cats can tolerate hyperglycemia better than dogs and humans can. A bad hypo, on the other hand, can be lethal.

Re feeding: PZI doesn't need a full meal on board before dosing. You now have YA food in your arsenal so why not feed him a little of that right after testing so you can get down to business injecting right away? That way you might be able to condense the test/feed/shoot into 20 to 30 min max. Is Java a lifelong grazer? Would he adapt to a more structured feeding schedule if you work at it? Anything you can do to get a regimen going that you can keep up over time with few variations would go a long way toward getting him settled.

ETA: if grazing is the only way he'll eat you'll have to go with that and take all food away 2 hours before testing AM and PM. The only exception to grazing is getting a little (tablespoon?) into him right before or during his shot. Some people inject while the kitty is eating if they're sure that he/she WILL eat.

16. Kris & Teasel

I suggest you start a new thread now so we can find recent posts quickly.

17. Kris & Teasel

Did you give 0.75 u this AM?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.