? Jax - switching to Lantus?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by JaxAttax, Feb 25, 2023.

1. JaxAttax

JaxAttax New Member

Jax was diagnosed about a month ago and has been on ProZinc. We aren't seeing any improvement and he's rarely getting down into the green. So, while it's relatively early days, I'd like to switch him to Lantus given what I've read. I'm also having a (human) baby soonish so if I'm going to be switching I'd rather do it sooner than later to give us time to find a good groove.

I work from home so I think the tight regulation method will work for us.

My main question is about dosing. I've tried 1.0, 1.25 and 1.5 with the ProZinc. I see in the dosing start instructions that the dose should be kept the same when switching. Given we haven't really settled in on a good dose and it hasn't been very long... I'm just wondering where would be best to start? Back down to 1?

Thanks!

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

When you get the Lantus, post and ask about the dose, so we can see up to date data.
    Don’t go back and start over again…
    I would also strongly encourage you to get some tests in during the on cycles. Even a before bed test is a good habit to get into. At the moment we have no idea what is happening during the pm cycle. Jax could be dropping low and then bouncing up high by amps.

3. JaxAttax

JaxAttax New Member

I already have the Lantus. Intend to start Monday.

It's difficult for me to get evening tests. He doesn't get his PM shot until 8:30 and I'm usually asleep by 9:30. I can do it every once in awhile but I'm 7 months pregnant with an early waking toddler so it's not going to be something I can realistically do daily.

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Any chance you could move the shot time an hour so you could get at least a +2. That’s when Lantus generally onsets (starts working) and a pretty good indicator of how the cycle will be. It usually reaches nadir between +4.6 but can be earlier or later.
    To follow TR you heed at least two tests every cycle for safety. If not possible SLGS would be the method to follow.

5. JaxAttax

JaxAttax New Member

Unfortunately we can't easily move it up. I'm on my own with my toddler in the morning and it's just not possible to get the testing and shot done without my partner occupying him in another room. Not to mention the cats usually hide in the basement when he's around. I can get a PM +2 for a little while but couldn't commit to doing it long term. So I guess we will need to go with the other method.

With SLGS do I start at 0.5? It says to take into consideration previous data but not really what those considerations are. Not sure if that would apply in his case.

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

As Bron suggested try and get a few more tests to make sure there’s not a bg under 90 and ask us again Sunday night. I would not start over 1.25 looking at your spreadsheet. You can change to TR later but if my cat and your situation I think SLGS makes the most sense for now. With SLGS you reduce if the bg falls under 90.

7. JaxAttax

JaxAttax New Member

Okay will do, thanks!