Jekyll still won't eat on his own

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Katsallday, Feb 10, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

So I have a theory. I met jekyll 2 weeks before I took him in to foster. That day I took his BG and it was 356 or something. I advised diet change since the old caretaker refused insulin and BG checks. He was switched from dry to wet FF pate immediately I believe.

What if the ketones are from a period of anorexia from the diet change? To this day he won't eat FF without my syringing it. I'm curious to try dr elseys chicken dry. To see if he genuinely hates wet food. I have to syringe feed him every 4 hours, and it take 45 min each time. It's not feasible long term. I'm running out of steam, and now that he's feeling better he's starting to fight back. I don't like dry food, but I'm willing to push fluids to keep him hydrated. That would be easier than the syringe. Ideas or opinions? His BG seems worse with all the added food and the insulin isn't working still.

2. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you tried different flavors and brands of wet food? Will he eat any of it and just not enough or refuse completely? Any signs he may be nauseated, like licking it then walking away? I feel like we need more backstory. When we’re the ketones tested and are you testing every day?

tagging a few ketones experts here @Bron and Sheba (GA) @Sienne and Gabby (GA)

3. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

I've tried FF and friskies. Every single flavor of FF pate. He refuses it. I had him on cerenia and mirataz and pureed his food with water and fortiflora. He would have a few licks and look at me like I'm crazy. It's been over 7 days, and before I fostered him he went ketonic refusing to eat so I'm still dealing with those ketones. Check his spreadsheet, I'm very thorough with the ketone checks and I use both a blood ketone meter and ketone strips. He is happily eating dr elseys cleanprotein chicken right now so I can finally rest a bit. He's had 1/2 a cup!!!! Incredible change.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Here's your previous post. It's helpful when you start a new thread to put the link to the previous one in so people can easily go back and see what's been going on.

Glad to hear he's at least eating, even if it is kibble! Sounds like he may have been eating kibble in his prior home despite what you were told. For now, give him the Dr. Elsey's, but don't leave it down all the time and feed him a little bit less than recommended. Put just a teaspoon of canned food next to the kibble. He may eat it, he may not, but if you keep doing it, curiosity usually gets the best of them and they at least try the canned. If he's been fed kibble most of his life, he may not understand that canned food is even edible. Once he starts to eat some of the canned, start decreasing the kibble and increasing the canned.

5. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'd increase the dose to 1.25u. I'm not liking the numbers!

Katerina - I suspect that if you had changed your subject line, more members would have responded about dosing. It's OK to add to or change a subject line to reflect that you need some input.

Katsallday likes this.
  7. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

Thank you! I will do that next time, and I'll increase his dose!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.