? Johnny - 11/3 - AMPS: AT 132, Contour 97

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Stephanie & Johnny, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Stephanie & Johnny

Stephanie & Johnny Member

Good morning everyone. As always, I am so grateful for your guidance and support.

Today I am able to stay home with Johnny, so I am doing a drop dose day.

I pulled his food up at 7am to ensure a full 2 hour fast before the morning test at 9am (I prefer 8am, but did not wake up at 6).

Johnny tested at 132 on the AT and 97 on the Contour. I gave him a drop dose of insulin and then put his food down.

Since I have only been focusing on numbers here, I did want to share that once Johnny's numbers started to come down from the initial onset of diabetes, he improved dramatically and has since returned to the loving sweet boy he was this summer.

His litter box output is back to normal. His water intake and appetite are back to normal - I'd say even better on the appetite because he seems to like his food a lot more than the old stuff (now that I said that, he will hate it, lol). Johnny is super cuddly again and follows me around and plays in his boxes. As I type this, he has jumped up onto the counter to lay on my arm and demand pets and attention. :)

I missed my sweet boy. Thank you all for bringing him back to me.

I put a "?" in the title of this post because I am not sure how else to flag it - I wanted to start a new thread since the other was getting long and I'd like assistance monitoring him on these drop doses so we know when to start the OTJ trial.

How often should I test him today?

FrostD likes this.
  2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I would start with a +1 actually. When he starts to dive it can be a big dip by +2, so +1 may help you get on top of it a little earlier.

If +1 is flat or minimal drop (less than 5-10 pts) then break til +3. Medium drop (10-20 pts) I'd feed 1-2 tsp LC. More than 20 pts I'd try 1 tsp MC. Obviously under 50 is HC, under 40 is HC+karo

Calm the itchy Temptations fingers if you can :p Dry stays in the system longer and can affect numbers a little longer and more unpredictably

3. Stephanie & Johnny

Haha, I am avoiding those Devil Treats unless it's an extreme situation like last time. ;) That was the scariest hypo we've had. I still can't believe he didn't have a huge rebound.

Is there a list of LC, MC, HC foods that I can reference? I only have the list of diabetes & cdk safe foods.

4. Stephanie & Johnny

Low moderate drop at +1.

5. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Ah very nice so far!

You can use those same lists - MC is 10-15%, HC 16-20% ish carbs

6. Stephanie & Johnny

Perfect, thank you!

What's interesting is I am feeding him (1) Tiki Cat Velvet Mousse with Chicken in Broth (2) Tiki Cat Velvet Mousse with Chicken & Eff in Broth...both of those are 0% carbs, and (3) Young Again Zero Mature Health Dry, which is 1% carbs. That explains his BG drop after I started him on those foods...and my mind is now blown, lol.

I moved him to the Tiki Cats after attempting to feed various chicken varieties of the Weruva BFF Play line which are all 5%. He would only touch those if I put Fortiflora on them. You can actually see on the spreadsheet when I made the switch around October 26.

Honestly, and I feel awful admitting this, I didn't fully comprehend the ME profile information on the list (and probably still don't) since everything has been so overwhelming and he is so picky. I'm glad we landed on zero carbs though. I'm not in love with how high the Tiki Cat phosphorus is, given the CKD, but I am just happy that he actually eats it. Maybe I will cut out the flavor that has the egg.

FrostD likes this.
  7. Stephanie & Johnny

I have an extra Libre and Libre 2 that I need to pick up from the pharmacy. At what point do you think it would be beneficially to put the new Libre 2 on? I took the other one off on Monday since it died. The reply to this message will be the pictures of what his skin looks like in the spot that was just used and the spot that was originally attempted at the vet's office 2 weeks ago. The skin that appears blue/black is the older spot and it is funky colored from his black fur growing in. Scared the bejeezus out of me the other day when it first turned blue!

Should I shave and put a new one on...or do you think hold off? I prefer to attach towards his back since he gets fluids at his scruff and I want to keep that area clear.

8. Stephanie & Johnny

Older spot: upload_2021-11-3_13-13-54.jpeg

Most recent spot:
    upload_2021-11-3_13-14-10.jpeg

9. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I would maybe ask in the main forum. I've never used a Libre so no help!

10. Stephanie & Johnny

Gotcha. :)

Two more questions, because...of course
    1. At what point can I stop testing hourly today?
    2. What should I base tonight's dose on - or are we still gathering that data?

Side note, we had a small vomit incident at +4.5 due to him drinking at a weird angle from his new water fountain...is that possibly why his BG at +5 went up a little?

11. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I think you're good to stop testing, he's pretty solidly on his way up. I'd try drop dose again tonight.

The +5 could be meter variance, or just bring on his way up after nadir.

Cats. The puke never ends.

12. Stephanie & Johnny

Seriously...omg...the vomit.

13. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Also sorry hectic day - glad he's feeling better! You almost forget what their "normal" is when they feel so crappy for so long.

Stephanie & Johnny likes this.
  14. Stephanie & Johnny

I feel very fortunate that he wasn’t “sick” for very long before I caught it. He only showed behavioral symptoms, like hiding and just not feeling well, for about a week after diagnosis, oddly enough. The excessive urination I honestly thought was because he was receiving fluids, like it’s gotta go somewhere…and the thirst I thought was part of his CKD. It was really the weight loss that got me to take him into the vet. He had been at the vet for a check up about a month prior, so I feel as though I have a fairly tight timeline of when this came on. And excessive use of steroid cream fits right into this window. Live and learn and try not to kill your babies. ‍♀️

FrostD likes this.
  15. Stephanie & Johnny

Alrighty, fasted for 2 hours and just tested at 111 for AT and 80 for Contour. Would you still recommend a drop dose?

16. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I would. He still had room to go lower today.

17. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

They do often go lower at night but he should be ok. I won't be around, so some guidance (I'm sorry if this is repetition, but I know sometimes those middle of the night drops cause a brain fart):
    - LC to slow slight drops (in this case, around 10-20 points)
    - MC to slow bigger drops (20+ points)

No food if 60s or higher (unless slowing said drop).

50s, feed 1-2 tsp MC at a time, retest every 30 mins. If 60s or higher, no food but keep testing. Still 50s, little more MC. Rinse and repeat.

40s, feed 1-2 tsp HC, ideally wet (but ultimately whatever he'll eat). Retest in 30 mins. If 60s, no food + retest. If 50s, little MC + retest. 40s, little HC and retest.

30s, feed 2+ tsp HC and karo/honey. Retest in 15 mins (this is to make sure the honey/karo gave them a quick boost out of low numbers, the food itself takes 20-30 mins to affect things). Same deal as above with 60s/50s/40s.

Remember, not "safe" until he's rising on his own after 2 hrs without food. Fortunately he nadirs pretty early usually so it hopefully wouldn't be a long night if he decides to dive.

18. Stephanie & Johnny

Totally napped through that PM shot. ‍♀️