Johnny - now at three skipped shots! Question…

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Stephanie & Johnny, Oct 31, 2021.

1. Stephanie & Johnny

Stephanie & Johnny Member

Happy to report that I’ve officially skipped three shots for Johnny and will likely be skipping tonight’s as well.

Just a curious question, is it possible for a cat to go hypo when not on insulin? He’s been maintaining some nice numbers but should I still be afraid of hypo events?

upload_2021-10-31_16-47-28.png

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

If you're not giving insulin, a cat may be in low numbers but they can't have a hypoglycemic event. There are some cat's who have their usual, non-insulin numbers lower than the greens you've seen. I would keep an eye on Johnny's numbers. Those blues are lovely but remember, we look for more green than blue when it comes to a cat being in remission.

3. Stephanie & Johnny

I know, I worry about taking him off too soon, but even with the smallest doses he was going low. And I’m definitely not comfortable shooting at numbers this low.

4. Stephanie & Johnny

I’m also unsure why the numbers on the Libre will be green, but when I test on the AT, they are blue.

I got a Contour Next today so I can double check the Libre’s numbers.

5. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

You've shot as low as 152... unfortunately you'll have to work your way into getting more comfortable shooting those lower numbers. I usually suggest 10-15 points at a time, assuming you can be around to monitor.

When do the new syringes come? I'm thinking next time you get a number 135 or higher, try 0.1-0.2U. 120-134 try a drop dose.

6. Stephanie & Johnny

New syringes just got here! I’ll see where he’s at in the morning.

FrostD likes this.
  7. Stephanie & Johnny

Is the Libre just wrong since it keeps showing green numbers in the spreadsheet?

8. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I personally would trust the AT more (just because I've been around a little while and looked at a lot of spreadsheets using a lot of meters) BUT I know it's nerve wracking seeing those low numbers and such a disparity.

If it'll help your sanity, maybe spend the next day or two using the Contour. If that reads a little closer to AT, then you have your answer (don't forget AT is a let meter and tends read a little higher than human ones). If it reads more in the middle, I'd probably use that as your main meter and put the AT away, and only use Libre as more of a warning system (though you're coming up on the 14 day mark soon here).

9. Stephanie & Johnny

I have another Libre and another prescription. But I’ll let him have a break from it for a little bit before putting a new one on in a different spot.

That last hypo event was just so scary…it was the most severe one we’ve had where he actually had symptoms (shivering). Hopefully the new needles will be easier to get below .5 units at a time.

10. Stephanie & Johnny

At 8pm, his PMPS was 138 on the AT, 42 on the Libre, and 100 on the Contour.

I feel like that is zero consistency. Give your experience, which number would you have based your shot decision on?

11. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I
    I saw that. My only advice is don't lose your mind over it, easier said than done. It's why we usually say just pick one, stick with it, erase the other from your brain.

I would not use the Libre for any dose or shoot/no shoot decisions, just as a watchful eye.

I'm currently leaning Contour (off one test ha!), but realistically if you went hardcore in-depth comparison...you'd probably find you'd have a different no shoot number for each. I could argue the Contour and AT were almost the same, considering meter variance and AT probably reading slightly higher as a pet meter. You could have done 3 tests on each for averages and I'd bet they'd probably end up close (I'm NOT saying do that lol).

12. Stephanie & Johnny

And we’ve gotten the black sensor of death.

I’ll start a new thread since this has gotten long a most info is now irrelevant.

I’ll use both the Contour and AT for a bit before putting on another Libre…but I’m honestly not a fan of how much blood you need for the Contour.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021