July 19 - Toeby AMBG 158, +9 155, PMBG 185

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Laurasboyz, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

Yesterday's thread condo: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/second-night-of-lows-38-40-yikes.232407/

I did not give Toeby insulin this morning because I was not home most of today and last night he had a +3 reading of 40 after a 0.25 unit dose of insulin.
    His readings from today are posted above in the subject line.
    He did eat some low carb canned food about an hour before the PMPS.

I am considering skipping tonight's shot - I would like to call his vet in the morning and tell her about the three instances he went very low since I started home monitoring on July 15.

I guess I am wondering if skipping both shots today is appropriate? His spreadsheet is attached.
    Any input would be welcome.
    I hope I am formatting this thread appropriately for help and comments - I wasn't sure if I should put a question mark on it...
    Thanks! Laura

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Ordinarily I would not skip a second shot but this reading is food influenced. If you can inject late I would test two hours from when he was last fed and then decide. If you want to skip it’s up to you as you will see if he gets real high. If undecided add a ? Prefix and see what others say.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

If you skip a shot, our convention is that you use AMBG (blood glucose) instead of AMPS (preshot), cause you didn't shoot. Same for PMPS.

Toeby (love the name by the way :)) is probably bouncing today. A second option beside the delay, is to skip again tonight and shoot tomorrow if you can monitor then. His numbers are trending higher, and if he continues where he is, looks like he does need a touch of insulin before his pancreas goes solo.

4. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

Thanks, Wendy - I amended the title of the post to reflect BG's not PreShots. Toeby was called Tony by his foster mom, but I called him Toeby because he's double pawed... on all 4's.
    I kinda think he should have a "little" insulin, but I don't really want to see him go super low for a third night in the row?

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Thought you might want some sleep. :) Hence the suggestion for tomorrow for a shot if you can monitor then.

Laurasboyz likes this.
  6. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

Sleep... if only you knew... haha. I'm a terrible sleeper. I'll be out tomorrow too, but unless it is really ill-advised I think I will skip this evening's shot and see what the morning brings. As far as the food readings go, I'm not really sure what I am going to do about his eating habits... he grazes on wet food... He doesn't really like wet food much, so I am hard pressed to change him to eating twice a day to coordinate with needles. That might come with time, if he stays on insulin.

7. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

It's fine for him to graze....we just don't want him to eat for the 2 hours immediately before shot times.

So take up the food at +10 and you're fine! He can eat as slowly as he wants up until then.

If you don't want to have to get up 2 hours before the AM test/feed/shoot, you can get an auto-feeder like the PetSafe 5.....just have it rotate to an empty slot 2 hours before shot times.

It would also be great to have during the days if you're not around....you can program it to open several times over the cycle to offer him a "fresh" meal and still have it rotate to an empty slot at +10.

Laurasboyz likes this.
  8. Chris & China (GA)

I got to ask....we know where Toeby came from but where did Nondb come from?

Laurasboyz likes this.
  9. JOJI and Kit

JOJI and Kit Well-Known Member

sql?

Laurasboyz likes this.
  10. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

"sql?"

Sql..? Second Quarter Litter? Secret Quarantine Liason? Seperate Question Line? I looked in the glossary and couldn't find sql... But I think I know what Chris & China is asking... :) My diabetic Toeby (who I hope is not really diabetic, just "misunderstood" (sorry Jackson Galaxy)) and the Nondb are brothers... the SPCA trapped 100 feral cats from one location and my two boys came from one of the litters that the SPCA thought were young enough to be tamed. Toeby has never liked being manhandled, or womanhandled, but his brother is easy to pick up and snuggle. Hopefully that answers the questions?

11. Chris & China (GA)

Not literally where did he come from....where did the name Nondb come from?

I don't know what sql means either.

12. JOJI and Kit

so i was thinking about nondb as a name. and my inner nerd sees "non database" and sql is "structured query language" that lets you you access and manipulate databases.
    i clearly missed the gist on that one ... lol ...

so i'll go with another guess:
    maybe nondb just means toeby's "non diabetic brother"

^jw

13. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

I was trying for short form for non-diabetic... but, ya, you have the gist. His brother has not been diagnosed diabetic. I'll try to fix the signature. I'll get the hang of this, I promise... lol. If this all doesn't drive me crazy first. :)

JOJI and Kit likes this.
  14. JOJI and Kit

Laurasboyz likes this.