Just about all BG numbers under 150 no insulin for 48 hrs

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mongoose, Feb 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mongoose

Mongoose New Member

Previous thread with history - https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...12-trying-to-get-this-all-figured-out.243007/

Going on 48 hours without insulin and only had two tests out of range at 186 and 187, all other tests are in 140's. With her being in range at PS test time and me not being able to check her at +2 and her history of hypo I have not been giving insulin.

Behavior and appetite wise she's been improving for two days now. What to do? Ketone monitor will be here Thursday from Amazon.

thanks!!!!

Dyana likes this.
  2. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but I’d consider switching to a gentler longer lasting insulin like Lantus and prozync so you can give tiny doses at those numbers with less risk of hypos

3. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Looking good! Ideally the nadirs would be a little lower though.

I know you ordered the syringes with 1/2 markings, that will help a lot. Id still suggest a drop dose or 0.1U.

The drop dose is where you push the plunger up towards the needle as far as you can, insert into vial, and let go. The result is one drop pulled up into the syringe, you won't really be able to see it. When you inject, you push it down and hold for 10 seconds.

0.1U is hard to measure on any syringe, I'd pull up til the plunger just barely moves.

Either way, be sure to test like you have been!

4. Mongoose

Mongoose New Member

Briefly mentioned and with my reading have wondered that too. Which one do you suggest? Was thinking about making this leap and getting it ordered today from Canada. Hopefully she stays where she is and if I need, can use the Vetsulin if she starts going hi again on me.

The other side of me says keep monitoring and let it be.
    m

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Lantus: More likely to produce flatter curves and greater scope for dosing safely at lower preshot levels (with adequate testing). Dosing schedule is typically very rigid as depot insulins work best with very consistent dosing.

Prozinc: Somewhat increased dosing flexibility but, depending on the cat's response, it may be harder to get a kitty to spend a lot of time in 'green' numbers.

If it was my cat, I'd go with Lantus.

Mogs

6. Mongoose

Mongoose New Member

I like the dosing flexibility of the Prozinc. Luckily I haven't had a lot of court so I can run home and test, but I have had a ton of other stuff to do and all of this is wreaking havoc at work and being able to get much done. Plus other commitments are already competing with getting home for the 7:30ish check. Are there any of you that only shoot once a day? Do a 24 hour cycle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.