Just started with ProZinc

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Stephi1987, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Stephi1987

Stephi1987 New Member

Just started my Louie on ProZinc last night. Vet had him set for 2 units twice a day, but I talked him down to 1 unit twice a day because I was scared. The night before he was prescribed ProZinc, his numbers were 442 on the AlphaTrak2 meter the evening of August 16th. Today, after only 2 doses of ProZinc, he is registering at 87. We just tested him 5 minutes ago and have not given him an injection since about 7:30 this morning, with the very first dose being 7:30 last night (Central Standard Time) his third dose was due -1 hour ago, but we have not given it to him because of his current low reading. Am I doing the right thing skipping his third dose? For some reason, his doctor asked me not to test him for his first week on insulin, says I can start testing him again one week from today (would be 8/25/2021) which I am actively ignoring because I don't want to hurt him. And before the suggestion of "Find a new vet" comes up, this is the fourth vet I've tried so far. And he is the last one that is within a 25 minute drive of me and less than $150 for just a standard visit fee. I literally cannot afford to take him anywhere else. This vet is my last hope in my area. I've tried. Everyone else is downtown Chicago and is far too expensive for someone who is on assistance and literally JUST is getting ready to start their new cafe job tomorrow morning. So PLEASE do not give me "suggestions" saying "Go to this other vet on the Magnificent Mile for $225 an hour" BECAUSE I CANNOT AFFORD IT! I just want to know if I'm doing the right thing testing him against doctor's orders and skipping his evening dose. THATS IT!

2. Hshray

Hshray Well-Known Member

It’s great that you’re home testing! Was the 87 number at his shot time?

3. Jo B

Jo B New Member

I'm on my third vet (Philadelphia); none believe in testing and I have no more time, energy or money to find a fourth. I use the (3rd ) vet for insulin, syringes and input as to my weekly curves. I dont even send him my spreadsheet anymore as he scolds me for testing daily. I believe vets dont know what to do with all the information. They know if a pream and pm test is a certain number and nadir is a certain number , raise, lower or keep dose. Unfortunately, one day of a curve doesnt reflect true readings as they fluctuate so much. I use this group for most of input.

4. Hshray

Hshray Well-Known Member

I think you definitely did the right thing skipping today since he’s only been on insulin for one day. It is not recommended to give the shot when numbers are less than 200 when you’re brand new since you don’t have any data as to how he responds yet. Have you started a spreadsheet to keep track of his numbers? That will be really helpful for you to be able to see his trends and for others to help you with dosing advice.

There are two dosing methods on Prozinc. With one Start Low Go Slow (SLGS) he would get a reduction every time he goes below 90, so he would have already earned a reduction to 0.75 units today. Here’s a link to these if you aren’t familiar with them yet:

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/prozinc-dosing-methods.225629/