Kabosu 02/12 AMPS 392 No nadirs. Dose increase? Pancreatic enzymes?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Dasha and Kabosu, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Dasha and Kabosu

Dasha and Kabosu Member

I don't even see any nadirs in Kabosu anymore, I've started seeing numbers around 450, he used to be closer to 300. Today will be the sixth cycle of 4 units.:banghead:

Today the vet suggested to start giving him pancreatic enzymes (which I will need to order online), as we are suspecting he has chronic pancreatitis.

Kabosu is likely in pain as he is spending most of the day on the bathroom floor, when not begging for food.
    Today we gave him boiled chicken breast which he loved...

He used to have some response to insulin before, so I started suspecting my Lantus vial is not good anymore (I left it on the kitchen counter overnight once) and opened a new vial yesterday, but that did not make any difference.

Previous post: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/02-11-kabosu-389-amps.242934/

2. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

He is just high and flat.
    He does look like he needs more insulin, but you do need to hold the dose tonight, and get at least a before bed test.

Are you managing to keep him away from the neighbors kibble?

3. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

Lantus is supposed to be ok for 28 days at room temperature when being used for humans, so one night might have reduced the longevity a tiny bit, but wouldn't kill the whole vial, i dont think.

I am so sorry, kabosu is not feeling well! :bighug:

Gill & George likes this.
  4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

@Marje and Gracie @tiffmaxee For treatment of chronic pancreatitis. I think you only want to give pancreatic enzymes if a kitty has been diagnosed with EPI. You can do a blood test for that, and you might want to check his B12 levels too. There is a GI blood panel that tests for those.

You can increase by 0.5 units tomorrow, if you don't see anything below 300 tonight. Or even if all you see is high 200's. Sometimes a larger increase gets a better reaction.

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

6. Dasha and Kabosu

Dasha and Kabosu Member

Thank you all!

We already spent 1.5K on all the tests in the past month. This time the vet suggested we just try a low dose of enzymes and see whether Kabosu's stool improves after that (it's softish and rather pale).

Yes, he was here all day, and only ate boiled chicken breast and low-carb wet food, yet his BG was in the 400s. He loves going to the neighbours (they have many indoor kitties), and I sometimes feel it's not worth keeping him here if it makes no difference to his BG and health, he'd rather go there and enjoy himself in a good company (he's like a celebrity for those cats!)

7. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

Hi Dasha, I imagine you might be feeling a tad disheartened. I just wanted to say how many cat's SS I have seen get completely transformed overnight when it hits the "magic" dose. It doesn't happen to all, but definetely to many. It may happen to Kabosu!

tiffmaxee and Sue and Luci like this.
  8. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Nice job with the testing, you may want to go ahead and increase on the next cycle. Sometimes as Karen mentioned, it just takes a little time and then you hit the 'magic' dose. Just take it slow and easy...you'll get there.

9. Dasha and Kabosu

Dasha and Kabosu Member

Thank you! I increased to 4.5 but he is really weak today, I will create another post