Keotones

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kahluasmom, Oct 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahluasmom

Kahluasmom Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Is this good????

Can anyone see an actual photo?

2. Chris and Checkers

Chris and Checkers Well-Known Member

3. Kahluasmom

I dont know how to add a photo. I typed it in but nothing shows up. The color I got on the test strip is either nothing or the first section. It didn't quite match either. That's why I tried to add a photo.

4. Chris and Checkers

I actually haven't tried uploading a photo myself so not sure how. I think there is instructions here https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/uploading-files.241806/

Also I have seen people insert photos into their spreadsheets, you just click on the '+' sign on the menubar and select image.

Have you tested Kahlua's ketones again. I find it hard sometimes too with the ketostix, determining the colour. I have to look at it under good lighting and have my reading glasses on. Also, you need to read it right away because the colour changes over time.

Kahluasmom likes this.
  5. Kahluasmom

How can I test them again? I have to wait for her to go, don't I? I'll try to get the photo from my phone to my chromebook.....soon not tech savvy in any way!

6. Chris and Checkers

Yah, sorry you have to wait for her to pee of course.

Kahluasmom likes this.
  7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Try copying the photo and pasting it. The upload a file I don’t think is working.

8. Kahluasmom

How do you copy a photo?

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Click on the photo. There should be an option to copy it. Copy it. Then paste on the thread.

10. Kahluasmom

Sorry...there's no copy option. Even my tech savvy kid can't figure it out.

11. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

You have to copy and paste a photo... On your phone select it and copy, then paste.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  12. Kahluasmom

I do know how to copy and paste. But when I click the photo nothing happens. Holding it down....nothing. I have a SAMSUNG so maybe that's the issue? No idea.

13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Is the photo in your photo album? That should have a copy and paste option

14. Kahluasmom

I can share, edit, lens or delete.

15. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't have a fancy phone. On my desktop, you click on the photo and manually drag into the text box.
    After doing so, scroll down to the bottom of the text box (if need be) and click on "Full image"

DragandDropJpeg.jpg

16. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

My.phone is same way, there is no way to copy paste out of Google Photos/gallery.

Your best bet is to insert the image into a cell in your SS as mentioned earlier, like how I did at the bottom of mine.

If you use Google photos/Google drive you can also have it create a link to share.

17. Chris and Checkers

18. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Go to the last row of BG data in my SS. Below that you'll see a picture of my cat. Next to him I put a series of screenshots showing how to add the image into the cells. You may need to resize cells

19. Kahluasmom

Okay...I got it on the SS, but it's so small.....

20. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Change the height and width of the row and column like I did for mine. You may need to clear and re-add the pic if expanding it makes it fuzzy.

You can move the height and width back once we can figure out if negative or trace

21. Kahluasmom

Mine doesn't look like that at all. I clicked on a cell, then insert, then image, image in cell and then clicked the photo I want. It's just super small. If I click on it, it erases it.

22. Kahluasmom

Hold on while I try to find out how to do that!

23. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

It's a tiny little gray circle with a double arrow when you tap the column letter / row number. In my SS, to the right of the image directions, I out a screenshot with the arrows circled

If you can't get that quickly, just choose the Insert Image Over Cell option. It'll show up a little weird on our end (meaning we may have to scroll all over to find where it dropped it) but it'll work

24. Kahluasmom

Did that work?

25. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Gah it dropped it somewhere weird that I can't see it all

Can you try to insert it around row 35

26. Kahluasmom

It's huge....like right in the middle. I'll try but I have life right now.....

27. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I got it. It put it at row 4 and up for me so I couldnt see the top - to anyone else looking, if you tap on it you can see full thing

Looks negative to me

Kahluasmom likes this.
  28. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Hurrah!! Well done you two! I think that’s a negative … what do you think Melissa ?

FrostD likes this.
  29. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Cross post lol but agree. I'd catch next urine if possible just to be sure, but I know it can be difficult.

30. Kahluasmom

I'll try! I have her in my daughter's room because we are slowly starting to introduce her to our other 2 cats. I want her to be a little stronger before they go nose to nose.

31. JanetNJ

Under share it doesn't let you copy?

32. Kahluasmom

Of course she went while I was downstairs! Her poop has gotten a bit loose again. It's not liquid...just pudding. I'm worried because the vet said if the diarrhea went away with the meds and then came back, it could be cancer.

33. Kahluasmom

No....I can share to FB, messages....etc.

34. Chris and Checkers

Yay! I see it now.

I use a different brand, Ketostix and that is what a negative result looks like. But I see what you mean, it doesn't quite match any of the colours on the colour key for your brand of ketomojo strips. So definitely try again if you can.

I usually don't catch my cat peeing, and when I do he is squatting too close to the litter to get the test stick under:pbut there is often a little puddle in the cat litter which I can dip the keto stick in. That works too. You just have to dust some of the litter off the stick after:D.

Kahluasmom likes this.
  35. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I had wondered about possible SCL when I saw the IBD and lymphocytes noted. There have been quite a few cats here with SCL, I believe it can really only be confirmed by endoscopy/biopsy. Unless he meant another kind of cancer?

But cats can also get diarrhea for a number of reasons.

36. Bron and Sheba (GA)

My Sheba had diarrhoea for months. Nothing seemed to help really until I switched foods and realised she was allergic to something in the Hills MD. I changed to home made and the problem just disappeared.

Kahluasmom likes this.
  37. Kahluasmom

Yeah....I hope it's just the new house, new friends, new food, etc. I saw 2 vets...1 was kind of concerned about the lymphocytes, the other wasn't really.

38. Kahluasmom

Okay, I added a new photo on my SS of today's ketone test. How does it look?

39. Chris and Checkers

Looks negative to me:cat:

40. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Looks negative!

41. Kahluasmom

Yay!!!!!!

42. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Don’t forget to add the number of units of insulin given in each cycle in the SS please.

43. Kahluasmom

I will....I was just coming to ask this...now that she's been on the Fancy Feast for 3-4 days, should I start the insulin?

44. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Yes, I would. Did you vet recommend a dose?

Did you get a chance to read through the dosing sticky here to choose a method? It will also determine starting dose.

45. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

This thread is getting a little long, so we can continue here tonight, but I'd start a new one in the morning if needed.

Kahluasmom likes this.
  46. Kahluasmom

Yes. He said 1 unit. I'll go read that link, though.

JanetNJ likes this.
  47. Kahluasmom

So the vet said 1 unit, but if I'm reading the suggestions correctly, it would be 1.5 units. Which one? I'm planning to start in the morning, so I'm awake and ready all day.

48. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I assume youre looking at Tight Regulation (TR), and basing it on her weight?

There's no harm in starting more conservatively, especially since her numbers aren't horrible. Especially if you want to keep your vet happy... sometimes we have to play the balancing act of doing what we think is best vs keeping the vet happy. TR will allow for fairly quick increases if the 1U doesn't work out.

49. Kahluasmom

I dont care about keeping the vet happy. I just have no idea and that's what he said. I am totally clueless. Like totally.

50. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Ok, let's wait for some others to chime in. I trust the dosing methods, but always like to hear others' opinions.

Just some key points about TR:
    • You must keep her on canned wet or raw low carb diet
    • It allows for faster increases, but as a tradeoff does require more testing to keep the cat safe. The dosing sticky outlines this, but it's PS at minimum, as well as at least one other test each cycle (so minimum 4 tests each day).
    • People choose TR for a variety of reasons - the flexibility to adjust dose more quickly, it tends to keep the cat in better numbers overall, and provides better chance at remission
    • That said...it can sometimes be a lot of testing when you get into low numbers. Take a look at my spreadsheet for example. When you get to lower numbers it can be late nights and long days; but you also have the freedom to switch back to SLGS if it isn't working for you
    With Lantus you can test, feed, and shoot within a few minutes of each other (this is not the case for all insulins).

You have U 100 syringes correct? It usually says U100 on the side.of the barrel.

51. Bron and Sheba (GA)

What dosing method have you decided on?
    If it is SLGS you would start with 0.5 units.
    If you are doing TR I would be inclined to start with 1 unit as the BG are not that high.
    Do you have your hypo kit set up?

52. Kahluasmom

I have U 100 syringes. I'm really not sure which method to go with. In truth I'm a little freaked out to start with 1 unit. Her numbers don't seem crazy high, but what do I know? Tonight's number was a little higher. She is also eating a lot more. She had 78 calories on Thursday, 139 Friday, 174 on Saturday and is still eating today! So, that might play into it. Even though she was free fed a high carb dry food, she didn't get to eat much of it.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    Reason for edit: old age forgetfullness
  53. JanetNJ

I would start at 1 unit twice a day

Kahluasmom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.