? Ketones 1.2 Emergency Vet wait

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sarah & Charlie-cat, Mar 4, 2023.

1. Sarah & Charlie-cat

Sarah & Charlie-cat Member

Hey all.
    During Charlie's curve, I did a blood ketone test and he was 1.1, he went back down with tests at .8 and .5 with some watered food but this afternoon I couldn't get him to eat much and at PMPS he was not eating and ketones were 1.2. long thread on the Facebook group earlier in the day convinced me to take him to the emergency vet.

We have an hour and a half to two hours wait. No food, no water, no insulin on board, missing his evening steroid dose.

Should I stay or should I take him home and try to syringe feed him and try later?

The receptionist knows nothing and there is no triage.

2. Sarah & Charlie-cat

Tech: We're going to take his glucose.
    Me: It was 316 as of 60 minutes ago, no insulin, it's gonna be mid-300s.
    Tech: Blank stares.
    Me: Do you want to use my meter so it's more accurate?
    Tech: I'll write the numbers down.
    Me: starts explaining the differences you might get with an AlphaTrak and the human meter I used all day
    Tech: blank stares...uh, ok lady, if it will shut you up, I'll take it.

I swear to dog, this cannot be so fleetingly rare that the ER vet tech is looking at me like I am speaking Martian

3. Sarah & Charlie-cat

BG on my meter 302. On theirs 380. Lololol.

Anyway. They said his vitals look good. Gonna do blood work when they can get him in a room.

4. Melinda and Kitkat

Melinda and Kitkat Member

Oh honey my heart breaks for you, an emergency vet visit? every minute can feel like an hour. It's good to know he was checked at least, and not just left with you in the waiting room. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:.

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Sarah, what others symptoms does Charlie have? Is he lethargic? is he eating?
    Is he vomiting or has diarrhoea? Is he dehydrated?
    A blood ketone test of 1.2 is normally nothing to worry about if your kitty is otherwise well.
    We don’t normally worry until the result is 2.4 as long as there are no other symptoms

6. Sarah & Charlie-cat

Dinner didn't get eaten, neither did afternoon snack. Not vomiting. Dunno about diarrhea (too many cats and boxes). He's been fairly subdued today, sleeping a lot. I haven't seen numbers above 1 before.

The chart I have said between .6-1.5 was watch and wait and if it was going up, get there to a vet.

7. Sarah & Charlie-cat

So much for having moved his shot time earlier and earlier this week so I could give it before an early work trip on Monday

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I wonder if the chart was for human and not cats.
    However if he’s not eating, is subdued and sleeping a lot, I would get him checked out. But don’t leave it too long before he eats and gets his insulin as it is food and insulin and water that will stop the ketones, as long as there are not too many.

9. Sarah & Charlie-cat

It did say go to the vet, so I'm guessing not for a human, lolz

Yes, absolutely on food, water, and insulin. I almost went home to syringe feed him! But they have him back there. Just give him some fluids and show me how to do it and some kitty tummy meds and let us go.

He was acting like his tummy hurt, looking at the food, licking his lips and not eating. Eating a tiny bit and walking away.

10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Sounds like he is nauseated. Are you still at the vets. Ask for an antinausea injection and some tablets to take home.

11. Sarah & Charlie-cat

Yes! Good reminder to ask for an injection and not just oral

Melinda and Kitkat likes this.
  12. Sarah & Charlie-cat

Tech did look at my spreadsheet at least. The spreadsheet never ceases to amaze at the vets office

13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Ask for some ondansetron if possible as it is better for nausea than cerenia. But either way, make sure you get one of them.
    Also ask about pain meds if you think he is in pain,…if he has pancreatitis he will have some pain as it is a painful condition.
    I’m glad they gave him some sub Q fluids.

14. Bron and Sheba (GA)

It always does!

15. Sarah & Charlie-cat

They haven't, but I hope they will give sub q fluids.

16. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Did they recheck ketones…either blood or urine?

17. Sarah & Charlie-cat

She said they would do blood work and I was like I have a ketone meter right here and she looked at me like I was speaking gibberish. But you could know in 10 seconds what his ketones are. maybe 12 I'd you count stabbing him in the ear

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  18. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Ask them to check the ketones and to give the subQ fluids, an injection for nausea and one for pain….and pain and antinausea oral meds to go on with at home.
    Once you get home I’ll give you a plan to help manage the ketones at home.

19. Sarah & Charlie-cat

Waiting, waiting. But I wrote recheck ketones ASAP, sub q fluids, and the names of the meds down... Buprenoephine better than gabapentin in this case? He was on gaba and something else when he came home from his pancreatitis and diabetes diagnosis hospital stay

20. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Usually they give a bupe injection for pancreatitis in my experience.
    You could recheck the ketones yourself if you have the equipment with you.
    How long past the insulin dose time are you now?
    How long since he’s eaten?

21. Sarah & Charlie-cat

He's two hours past his dose, four from food.

They want to do IV fluids and hospitalize him. I asked her to go rerun an estimate with sub q fluids and an anti nausea shot to manage at home.

Although tomorrow is Sunday, so we could just end up here tomorrow.

22. Sarah & Charlie-cat

I talked to hubs who said bring him home with sub q fluids and the cerenia injection, keep an eye on him tomorrow and if we have to come back we have to come back. He promised to get him at 7 am Monday since I have to leave at 6:30 to drive to a site visit. Tech said he looks good otherwise. So, I'm hoping this is stopping the ketone train and hopefully get him in to his regular vet soon for a ultrasound to see if there's something else going on and bloodwork.

23. Bron and Sheba (GA)

You will need the oral antinausea meds as well and preferably some pain meds for at home.
    Did you recheck the ketones?

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  24. Sarah & Charlie-cat

I have been separated from him and they refuse to use my ketone blood meter. The tech seemed to refuse to believe that is actually a thing. She was like well urine is different, I'm sure it is honey but um, I can tell you the concentration of ketones in his blood right now in 12 seconds... I will ask about oral meds and pain meds when she comes back. Apparently, that wasn't on the menu.

25. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Honestly I despair at some of the things I hear about vets and vet techs! :banghead:
    They are obviously not up to date with all the latest equipment and care of FD kitties and that is a worry…especially an ER.

26. Sarah & Charlie-cat

Yeah, she was totally baffled when I told her she should test his glucose with the meter I used all day for his curve.

I'm glad the old vet put him on Lantus, but the other things they were wanting me to do just didn't make sense. And I finally had to thrown down my copy of the AAHA report, well highlighted when the vet was like 91 is a perfectly fine preshot number to give him 2u of insulin.

27. Bron and Sheba (GA)

It pays for caregivers to educate themselves about FD!

28. Sarah & Charlie-cat

They don't have cerenia tabs to take home. They would give him gaba but don't want to zonk him out and tech is going to check on the antibiotics.

29. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Antibiotics??
    Also if you can’t get cerenia…ask for a script for ondansetron which you can get filled at the pharmacy.

30. Sarah & Charlie-cat

Yeah, I'm grateful for this group, and that I have enough education to kill a bear and have university access to all the articles I could ever read.

31. Sarah & Charlie-cat

Ironically, one of the things I'm working on (I'm an education professor at a research university, lol) how universities can recognize, use, and elevate the knowledge and expertise of lay people. This group and the folks in Germany that developed TR are perfect case studies of the value of people with actual lives experience and what happens when you aggregate it.

32. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I wish that somehow the collective knowledge of this forum could be put to use to educate the many vets about FD because in the main, the up to date knowledge about FD in the vet community is sadly lacking. We get so many cats here that arrive having been given bad advice or not a suitable insulin, or too much insulin or being shamed about wanting to home test….I could go on….
    All of us here have looked after a diabetic cat/cats 24/7, often for years and that experience is invaluable.

33. Sarah & Charlie-cat

Invaluable, absolutely.

34. Melinda and Kitkat

Sooo true, the combined knowledge of those based on experience and the learning based knowledge in the classroom setting, can make for well rounded students. You know this better than I, I can say from personal experience I got a BSc, 4+ years and it was great, and I love the knowledge I got from it. I was keen on doing a PhD... till life changed, working my field changed, and I learned that PhD stood for Pretty Hard Degree! ;) I'm happy to see your mindset change in your texts, it means you are a bit calmer now about Charlie? This group here will surely instill some confidence that combined knowledge is power, it surely has for me :bighug:

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  35. Sarah & Charlie-cat

PhD= piled higher and deeper!
    Now, if Charlie would eat something so we could all get on with our lives

36. Melinda and Kitkat

Eat some fuds Charlie!!! do it for mama

37. Chrispooky12

Chrispooky12 Well-Known Member

When you ask for a script of ondansetron ask for 30 4mg tablets. Alot of the pharmacys charge high dollar amount for ondansetron for instance CVS charges $96.73 with the goodrx coupon. Not sure what pharmacies you have around you. I get my ondansetron at Meijer pharmacy with the goodrx coupon for $10.81. I always keep ondansetron, Cerenia & gabepentin, mirtaz(appetite stimulant) on hand because my boy has chronic pancreatitis. You may also want to ask for fluids to take home. I've never given fluids to my boy but if it came down to it I would. I always put 3 tablespoons of water in his wet food so I know he's getting some water & it has worked for us. My boy has never had ketones so I can't really speak on that. Just wanted to help you out by telling you about getting ondansetron & mirtaz. They've both been a savior for my boy. Good luck & I hope Charlie gets better soon :bighug:

Dyana and Diane Tyler's Mom like this.
  38. Sarah & Charlie-cat

They didn't have tablet of anything to send home.

I'm hoping this isn't the start of a pancreatitis flair, but it might be.

The only thing they gave me to take home was amoxicillin. Uh, ok

39. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I hope Charlie will feel better soon :bighug::cat:

40. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Jodey&Eddie&Blue Well-Known Member

I'm also at a research university and would love, love, love to read this research. I usually refer to myself as a "civilian" when talking to the group of folks you mention.

Hoping all goes well with Charlie! :bighug::bighug::bighug::cat::bighug::bighug::bighug:

41. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Sarah, I would increase the dose of insulin to 0.5 U at the next dose.
    Maybe ask your usually vet for a script for ondansetron or some cerenia. I’m really surprised they didn’t have any serenity tablets.
    And I’m not sure why they gave you amoxicillin.

42. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Sarah to address the ketones I would:
    • Try and get Charlie to eat 1 and a 1/2 times as many calories as he normally would. At the moment let him eat what he will eat even if it is not low carb…although low carb is best…eating any food is more important at the moment. Lots of small snacks.
    • Try and source some antinausea medications tomorrow incase they are needed. It did sound as if he was nauseated the way he licked his lips, ate a bit then walked away..
    • Test daily for ketones and document in the remarks column of the SS please
    • Add warm water to the food if he will let you. A teaspoon in each snack can make a difference
    • Don’t skip any doses of insulin. If the preshot is lower than normal…stall, dont feed and test in 20 mi utes to see if the BG is rising.. and post and ask for assistance.
    • I would post daily at the moment for advice and support

43. Sarah & Charlie-cat

I haven't retested ketones. I need to. In like scared to now.

I have offered him all haha favorite foods to ni avail. Offered, shoved in his face, wipes on his face, he will not eat He ate a few dried liver treats. He hasn't had his insulin either. He's 12 hours without food now and his last insulin was 22 hours ago.

I really thought we would get home and he'd eat for me.

Back to ER vet?

44. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Even if he won’t eat, I would give him a half dose of insulin…insulin does more than just lower the BG in the body.
    Can you offer him some forbidden food? He must eat. Try anything at this point.
    Did they give him a cerenia injection at the ER..?
    Can you test for ketones now please as we need to know where things are up to

45. Sarah & Charlie-cat

They said they gave him cerenia. And that it would work in about an hour.

Since the yard fox just woke us all up...
    Ketones .7
    BG 317

I can try some regular kibble and giving him his insulin at 6 am ish so we're back where I need him to be for work this week. I told the vet and the tech I didn't think his small dose and his high numbers was going to tank him but they were adamant I not. That is one area where there's conflicting info on the pages here.

46. Bron and Sheba (GA)

That is reassuring the ketones are 0.7
    How many hours til 6 am?
    Yes feed him whatever he will eat during the night and at 6 am. He needs to eat. It is the insulin and the food that will keep the ketones away and it is the lack of both those that invites ketones back in, so the plan has to be food as much as he will eat and regular insulin.
    Will your husband be able to test him during the day tomorrow and feed him extra food while you are at work?
    Would appreciate a quick response from you as I am inAustralia and need to head off to bed very shortly. Thanks

47. Sarah & Charlie-cat

It's 5:45 here now.
    He hasn't eat anything offered. The world's best food TM, his normal food, his favorite sardine cutlets (warmed even), Dr. Elsey's, not even the regular kibble.

I managed to syringe about 4mls of Tiki mouse mixed with broth into him but that's hardly anything and he was not having it.

48. Bron and Sheba (GA)

What about some cheese? Parmesan ?
    Or regular chicken lightly cooked?
    Can your husband go to the regular vet today and get some ondansetron for the nausea? It can be given up to three time a a day and at the same time as cerenia as it works on a different pathway.
    You you have honey at home in case it is needed ?
    Will your husband be home with him today? And be able to testThe BG?

49. Sarah & Charlie-cat

My husband is useless in this department. I'm home today (it's only Sunday morning in the US). Gone tomorrow. He will not be home. He hasn't learned to test or inject. He refuses to.

Our new vet has no weekend hours. Our old vet is not open on Sunday. Our old old old vet might be.

We have Karo in the house.

He's never had any interest in cheese. I do have some cooked chicken I could thaw. He seems to like it but he's turned his nose up at everything he normally likes so I don't have high hopes.

50. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I was forgetting the time difference! It is almost Monday morning here.
    SUGGESTIONS TO STIMULATE KITTIES APPETITE
    Can you go out and buy a roast chicken?

I’m sorry none of your vets are open on a Sunday…try your old old old vet. It’s important that Charlie starts eating and that he gets his doses of insulin.

51. Sarah & Charlie-cat

Cooked chicken warmed up for the same reaction of oh that looks yum, ew. He kicked his lips but won't eat. Syringed a little more of the Tiki cat, probably 8-10 mls. It's staying down at least?

52. Sarah & Charlie-cat

I know. I've been up every two hours trying to get food into him, after staying up til midnight doing the same. I'm exhausted.

I don't even live in a super small place but our vet situation is garbage.

53. Bron and Sheba (GA)

It definitely sounds like nausea. I would check with theER that they definitely gave the cerenia injection. And maybe ask if they give ondansetron injections. He could have another cerenia injection after 24 hours.
    You might have to syringe feed more often..
    Like every few hours. ASSIST/ syringe feeding

54. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Would there be any other vets open that might be willing to help you with antinausea meds?

55. Sarah & Charlie-cat

I gave him his .25u dose of insulin, not the planned increase to .5. He's currently hiding under the bed with a bowl of chicken. I'll get up in two hours and see if he's eaten, check his numbers and call the ER vet again.

There's another practice across town that may be open today. They used to have 24/7 hours, I took Charlie there when he pulled the AC vent out of the window and cooked himself (he didn't have heat stroke, but he did hurt his leg trying to get out of that room ...he was isolated from the other cats when he was new). I can call them too but I left that practice like 2 years ago because they're expensive and not great

56. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Good plan. I’m heading to bed but @Bandit's Mom is going to be around for you now. I hope things improve very soon
    I’d check the BG a few times this cycle if he’s not eating much.

57. Sarah & Charlie-cat

Thank you! Good night!

Deb and Sylvester likes this.
  58. Sarah & Charlie-cat

Hi @Bandit's Mom (and anyone else whose playing along in will Charlie eat)

+3 update .25u (didn't increase to .5 because he hadn't eaten)

BG 306 (down from 317)
    Ketones 1.0

Didn't eat warm shredded chicken. Got another 10ml of thinned Tiki cat mousse in via syringe. Which was a fight.

So, back we go to the ER vet.

(I think one reason this freaks me out so much is the old vet didn't tell us if he had ketones but from what I've read, he had symptoms of DKA and I don't want to do that to him again)

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  59. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Along with asking for the anti-nausea and anti-emetic drugs, you can do subq fluids at home. Ask the vet for some. It is simple to do (assuming the cat will stay still).
    You may also want to ask the vet for a couple of cans of AD. It's very smooth and easy to syringe. In general, cats like the taste.
    I loved your "throw down" comment.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  60. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Gerbers baby food all meat (2nds) often was appealing to my cats when they refused to eat their food. It’s also easy to syringe.

61. Sarah & Charlie-cat

I bought some recently for our other kitty Harold when he was sick and they now have cornstarch in them! That used to be my absolute go to. I nurses another kitty, Pumpkin, through surgery on her face and a pulled tooth, with that. But when I saw corn starch I said nope for Charlie.

The Tiki Mousse is pretty easy to add liquid to and syringe. The second batch was a bit too water but it worked. I haven't gotten the whole thing in him yet. He's currently doing what we call, charging the mom battery, laying on me purring. I'm going to have breakfast myself and go back to the ER vet. If he's not eating on his own still...and I am supposed to be three hours away tomorrow for a site visit. I'll be gone like 6:30-4ish

62. tiffmaxee

It’s always had cornstarch in it but never bothered my cats. The other brand whose name escapes me does not have it but my cats didn’t like it as well.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
  63. Sarah & Charlie-cat

Hmm, maybe I miss remembered. I have a few more pouches of the tiki cat so there's that

64. Chrispooky12

Chrispooky12 Well-Known Member

My boys eat there probiotic & slippery elm with bark mixed with beechnut baby food. I buy the beef, turkey, & chicken. There's no corn startch no sugar & no carbs in them.

65. Sarah & Charlie-cat

I'll take a look for the Beechnut brand!

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  66. Sarah & Charlie-cat

My husband came with us, even though he's grompy about it. I appreciate the company while we wait on blood work and pee tests

67. Sarah & Charlie-cat

They're gonna hold him today and overnight and give him fluids and see if they can get his BG down and get him to eat. He and Harold are in some very strange competition to see who is the most expensive, most beloved by mom. The four girls are no trouble at all

68. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Sending lots of prayers for Charlie, you must be so exhausted. Try and get some sleep. He's so adorable . :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:
    I know when you can please keep us updated :bighug:

69. Sarah & Charlie-cat

Update: he's going to get fluids to see if they can correct his electrolytes and maybe help flush some glucose. They wanted to try a short acting insulin as well temporarily to see if they could get him under the renal threshold. Maybe an appetite stimulant if that doesn't help.

His blood work did show low platelets. Which is what he's on steroids for in the first place.

He seemed fairly ok. But if I wasn't going to be able to turn him around on my own today, I would have been up **** creek having to leave before the vets open tomorrow morning for a work thing. The work thing is a research project that I'll get a stipend for this summer, which is gonna help pay the vet bill, lololol. They want him to be transferred to our new vet in the am. So my poor hubs is gonna have to get up early to make that happen.

70. tiffmaxee

71. Karen and Chispa

Karen and Chispa Well-Known Member

Sending all good wishes to you and Charlie :bighug::bighug::bighug:

72. Sarah & Charlie-cat

Update:
    Husband had to transfer Charlie from ER vet to normal vet yesterday morning. I picked him up from the normal vet yesterday and spent 45-60 minutes talking to Dr. A. She went over all his labs with me (no one has ever done that for me). His blood work suggested an infection of unknown source, his urine pH was a little up, glucose in his urine as expected, low level of ketones. She seemed happy I was testing those and knew that as a currently unregulated diabetic kitty he was at risk for developing ketoacidosis. No UTI tho, so that's good. I would have been flummoxed if he got one switching from dry to wet food.

She remains adamant that he does not have a clotting disorder from her smears. I am inclined to believe her. I swear some days his ear pokes clot before I can get the strip to it and BG and ketone from the same poke? Nope, he's clotting up already... So we're going to keep working off the pred. She seemed irked her colleague, Dr. K, who I haven't met, told us to go back up to the full dose we had been doing.

He's on Cerenia and Mitzaprine (sp) and he yowled his hunger at me all night and from 5-7 before his shot. He's on amoxicillin as well.

Based on his curve, I was going to go up to .5 u, but Tonya, mother of Adam the sugar cat suggested staying at .25 as clearing the infection up should also help his numbers and don't want to tank him. I'm a little worried about not raising it as he's basically not dropping below 200 at any point in the day and that's gotta be hard on his poor kidneys. But I gave .25 since my day is back to back crazy busy today. Dissertation defense and faculty Senate...crazy busy but actually it's all just sitting around until I get to talk for 5 minutes.

Anyway, she said she didn't think we'd get him evened out by mid-April, which I so wanted because I'll be traveling for work. But she was game to get a Libre 3 and burner phone set up, so hoping to try that out in a couple weeks so we can troubleshoot shoot before I leave. I also need to reach out to the pet sitting partner of an acquaintance who said they were willing to learn to do ear sticks.

The new vet receptionist also diagnosed him as very pretty and told me how much she wanted to pet him.

And I just have to chuckle a bit. Our other boi, Harold, was very sick when we first got him, so many vet visits, and has gotten bit by someone in the gang twice recently, so many more get visits, and he has a fan club at the old vet (and online in Cat Squad) and Charlie was like if I can't kill you, hold my beer and watch me get a fan club. Bois! All of girls, while being bonkers in their own way, are pretty healthy and no trouble (except when Widget eats **** she shouldn't, but now we just don't have things like tinsel or herbs).

73. Karen and Chispa

Karen and Chispa Well-Known Member

That is too funny!!
    So glad Charlie is home now. :bighug:

74. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I’m glad Charlie is back home. That is great news. It sounds as it your vet is lovely!

I can’t see where Tonya mother of Adam said to stay at 0.25 u. Was it here?
    With ketones in the picture I would have increased to dose to 0.5 units.
    If he doesn’t drop into blues today, I would increase the dose to 0.5 units.

Try and feed him as much as he will eat as food will help combat any ketones. Lots of snacks as well as the two main meals.
    I’m glad he is on the cerenia,..give that before the appetite stimulant. Keep giving the cerenia for a while to make sure he eats well.
    Also don’t skip any doses of insulin…as insulin also keeps ketones at bay.
    Test daily for ketones and pop the results into the remarks column of the SS please so we can see easily. Thanks!
    If he will tolerate it, put a teaspoon of warm water into all the snacks to increase fluid intake.
    Try and get as many tests in during BOTH the cycles so we can see how low the dose is taking him.

Do you have some higher carb foods in case you need them and some honey or Karo.?

Jodey&Eddie&Blue likes this.
  75. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Jodey&Eddie&Blue Well-Known Member

So glad Charlie is home and that you had a good experience with Dr. A. who seems to really be with it.

I hear you about university work. It's great but when you're dealing with sugar bois, things can get stressful. :cat::eek::bighug::bighug::bighug:

76. Sarah & Charlie-cat

Today's numbers are just going up?
    AMPS 243, +5 308, +10 338. Last night PMPS 294, +3.5 ( I was so tired I couldn't make it to 4) was 250. I am so confused again.

77. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Did you read my post 74 about looking after him now that he is at home again?
    You need to give it time for the depot to fill with the increased dose. We don't know what happened at the hospital as far as the dose and the BGs are concerned.
    Its possible he may have gone down further last night and be bouncing a bit today.
    Have you tested for ketones today?

78. Sarah & Charlie-cat

I know I need to let the depot fill back up but it's hard to watch his numbers go up all day and not down. Twitchiest liver this side of the Mississippi, apparently.

I haven't tested for ketones today. I can in a little bit. He's currently laying on me and purring. But that never lasts all that long. Recharge the battery and back to being an independent boy.

79. Sarah & Charlie-cat

Updated his spreadsheet. 0.8 on the blood ketone meter. Planning to syringe him more food in about another hour (it's 8:10 pm central US time, so at 9:10).

I did also find another biggish hairball under the bed. Looked fairly fresh, probably his, but the median coat color in our crew is medium grey. He thinks brushing is murder, but he's clearly grooming more than he was.

Gonna go get him his quilt and tell him I love him. And pill the other cat and check his surgical wound healing

80. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I know how hard it is to see high numbers.
    Just hang in there and try and catch up on your sleep. You will be no good to him if you get sick!

81. Sarah & Charlie-cat

Absolutely. I have to take care of me to take care of him. He's currently curled up next to me purring with one giant paws on my arm, under his quilt

82. Liz & Minnie

Liz & Minnie Well-Known Member

Yikes, I just caught up on your and Charlie's saga. Hope you're getting some sleep. Minnie dragged me through this situation early in our diabetes journey. Multiple visits to the ER with DKA. I remember being so grateful for Bron's advice at the time, especially the adding water to her food - it's standard practice now.

Just want to echo what others have said - I always have ondansetron, cerenia and mirataz on hand. The sniffing food and walking away is a sign, especially from the kitty buffet. I use the sub-lingual ondansetron because I'm not great at pilling so I just have to get it in her mouth and keep it clamped shut. I get them at Costco for $13 a box. Can't remember if anyone's mentioned it, but they can have both cerenia and ondansetron which work differently.

Have you tried beef liver powder sprinkled on the food? It's a new discovery for me and she loves it. I feel like a waiter with the 'fresh ground pepper' mill.

Hope things are looking up with Charlie soon (but not BG or ketones) and he eats for you. I find that the hardest thing to cope with! Hang in there.

83. Sarah & Charlie-cat

I'll have to work on water in his food but he was drinking on his own today.

Do you need a script for ondansetron?

I will ask for refills on the Cerenia and mirataz to keep those on hand. The ER vet sent most of an IV bag home with us, so I just need needles and a lesson, lol.

The vet called to check on him and I was like, well he got syringe fed dinner and breakfast. We discussed me dropping him off tomorrow as I have a site visit. But the. Wouldn't you know it, he ate just fine on his own. I needed to read the directions on the Mirataz, because the vet was like just coat his ear and the directions said measure out this much, which was much more than I gave him.

Dried beef liver has come back up when I gave it as a treat, but he loves freeze dried duck liver more than maybe anything else in the universe (more than me, more than his girlfriend Olivia, more than dried shrimp, more than minnows), so I usually sprinkle some of that on his food if he's hesitating. And I have a ton of Tiki Stick, which he loves. Once he starts licking those, he'll usually eat the food underneath.

What a butt head. But his preshot number tonight was lower than his am number (257... Stupid spreadsheet won't let me edit on my phone again). I am hoping his am number looks better yet.

He definitely is more his lively self when his numbers are lower. Wrestling with Olivia (cute) and giving chase to Widget (less cute, she's like a third of his size)

84. Sarah & Charlie-cat

I can't figure out how to upload a photo, otherwise I would post a couple of pictures of the stinker from this week... I had been making him a quilt as a joke, because he was always trying to lay on my hand stitching. When he was diagnosed in December, it lit a fire under me to finish it and there was some sewing and crying and crying and sewing. The pattern is heart shaped and it has lots of fabrics with birds and cats. I got it back from the quilter's on Tuesday (she quilted a bird pattern on it for me ) and he has happily curled up on it anywhere I put it since. He seems to know it's really his. My husband says it must just smell like me from handling it so much in the pressing, cutting, gluing, and stitching. He's currently laying on it across the foot of my bed and he never lays in bed... Lol, he just decided it was time to go to sleep, which means crawling up into the cat tree next to my bed for his bedtime bath routine.

85. Liz & Minnie

Yes, you'll need a script for ondansetron. Also, the vets would never give me injectable cerenia (apparently it stings?) so I have that as tablets too but give that in a gelcap because it makes her drool horribly (again, I'm not great at pilling!). Since it's not urgent, I'd check the prices for the meds at chewy or costco, or other online pet meds. Will be much cheaper than the vet!

I'm envious of you (or anyone really) whose cat likes treats. Madam doesn't like any treat, I've tried them all...and donated to the shelter. Beef liver powder is a first. And - the quilt story, brilliant. You can drag and drop a photo into the body of a message from a laptop. I think there's a note somewhere about how uploading a file doesn't work, but drag and drop does :cat:

86. Sarah & Charlie-cat

I'll have to try that next time I'm on my laptop and see if the vet will give us scripts. Neither this vet nor the previous vet seem to much want to give prescriptions unless it's something like insulin or a Libre that they don't have in stock themselves. Sigh

The vet mentioned the injectable Cerenia stings too. I've just squashed it up with a little baby food or Tiki Stick and given it in a syringe. Charlie is impossible to pill.

87. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

You've just reminded me I should get some duck liver treat for miss fussy pants. Neko was a huge fan too.

Drag and drop from laptop, or cut and paste should work in the text box. I've done both.

Best video for learning how to give fluids, starring Marje's civvie Gus (GA).How to Give Subcutaneous Fluids (Video) If you get needles from the vet, try to get 20 or 21 g ones, the 18g are like harpoons. Terumo thin wall were my go to's.

A favour to ask, next day you post, could you start a fresh one. This one's getting a little long.

88. Liz & Minnie

Hi Sarah - just checking in. Don't see any readings from today, hope things are ok. :bighug:

89. Sarah & Charlie-cat

Thanks for checking in... yesterday was a LONG day and I didn't manage to update my spreadsheet. No matter how often I clear the cache on it, it goes to view only on my phone.

We're doing a curve today since it's spring break and I'm home. Working, but at least at home

Liz & Minnie likes this.