? Kierra -- diagnosing hypersomatotropism

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Diane and Kierra, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Diane and Kierra

Diane and Kierra Member

I am wondering if it is important to follow up a high IGF-1 test with more tests to confirm the hypersomatropism or is the IGF-1 test alone (plus other clinical signs) enough? I guess maybe testing for Cushings? I am also wondering about if we should do imaging. I haven't made any decisions on doing anything else besides insulin at this point. Is there any point in doing imaging unless one plans to do other treatments like SRT or hypophysectomy?

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

If you aren't doing anything else, save your money. I asked the folks at Colorado State University if I needed imaging done, cause I didn't want to drive there for 3 days unless it made sense. They said no, based on Neko's dose at the time (8 units) and her IGF-1. Given Kierra's dose, there isn't another answer. Cushings kitties don't usually get so high in dose either.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I wouod talk to your vet about adding cabergoline. My Snuffles started it in Dec and it seems to help getting low and consistent BGs. Cost is about $180 every 2 months now.

Suzanne & Darcy and JanetNJ like this.
  4. Diane and Kierra

Diane and Kierra Member

I thought that was something to do before doing SRT? Do you have a spreadsheet?

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I know of only one person who has done cabergoline before doing SRT, and then only briefly. SRT has been out there much longer than cabergoline as a treatment option. It's usually one or the other.

6. Diane and Kierra

Diane and Kierra Member

Thanks, I don't know where I got that notion.

7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I do not have a publishable SS. I currently have55 diabetic cats with two in remission. I find the Google sheets SS to comberson to use for multiple cats. I use the Numbers SS on my iPad.

8. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I'm seriously starting to think SRT, but am going to go with Cabergoline for now, hoping it will help. Of course, I really don't have the financial aspect of it worked out, but I've contacted NC State. They haven't called me back yet. When my vet gets back in town I'm going to ask her to do the referral.

Diane and Kierra likes this.