Kitty in remission with IBS/food question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Terri Caiazzo, Sep 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terri Caiazzo

Terri Caiazzo Member

Hi everyone,

It’s been a while since I’ve been here because my cat, Xena, (now 13) went into remission three years ago after using Lantus insulin. She did well on Fancy Feast pate diet up until last year when she started vomit daily (a lot). She had lost a couple of pounds which was attributed to the vomiting. The vet suspected IBS and we changed her food to Ultamino (dry), and the vomiting stopped. She has been on that for a year, but last month I noticed her licking her lips and being very clingy. I took her to the vet, and she has lost 4 pounds since last year (now only 10.4). Her eating habits changed on Ultamino (eating less) which may explain the weight loss (or nutrients not being absorbed or GI lymphoma). Blood work showed her glucose running higher (385 mg/dL) and frucosamine at 476 umol/L (previously in the 300’s). Her thyroid was normal, and her calcium slightly elevated (11.2) which the vet thinks is idiopathic. She has slight amount of bacteria in the urine (giving her Clavamox).

Nine days ago, we changed her food to Hill’s Gastrointestinal Biome Digestive/Fiber Care wet (she doesn’t like the dry). She loves it and eats every drop. She stopped licking her lips and was acting more like herself up until today. Unfortunately, I found that she had thrown up all her breakfast so it must not be agreeing with her digestive issue. We have a follow up appointment on Oct. 1st to retest her sugar levels, but I want to take some action before then.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the food or alternative diagnosis (we have not done an ultrasound to test for GI lymphoma)? I do have Fortiflora probiotics which I added to her dry food at the beginning (not eating much of it though). Thanks so very much. Terri

2. Ann & Sister

Ann & Sister Member

Sorry to hear that Xena is not doing well.
    My kitty Yogi was diagnosed with intestinal lymphoma in 2018 and succumbed very quickly because I could not keep any food inside him.
    The licking his lips was nausea. Vet said to give Yogi half a tiny Pepcid tablet before he ate but it did not help much.
    His weight kept decreasing so I fed him anything he would eat: fresh chicken, fresh salmon, hamburger.
    I am not familiar with that specific Hills food, but my suggestion is to try anti-nausea meds so the vomiting stops.
    (Yogi's vet never suggested it.):(
    My Monkeydo gets Cerenia for vomiting and when it does not kick in, I put Mirataz on his ear flap which is for appetite/nausea.
    Good luck with Xena,
    Hugs,

3. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

That's a rather high fructosamine. She may be out of remission, or it's the food she is eating that is causing the high blood sugars. Hard to know unless you find something low carb that she likes to eat and won't upset her stomach. There's a website for IBD cats that you might find helpful (they advocate raw feeding, which is an option for you to try, but there is other helpful info there generally about IBD and digestive issues in cats): https://www.rawfeedingforibdcats.org/

IBD can resemble small cell lymphoma, so the only way to tell the difference between the two is an ultrasound and biopsy. Many cats who have IBD get put on a steroid and that helps them eat. Those who have SCL get put on a steroid and a chemo pill. My kitty who has SCL is on prednisolone right now and that solved a lot of her vomiting and inappetance and she has gained weight, but it has knocked her completely out of glucose regulation.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It's possible that the Clavamox has upset your cat's stomach and cause the vomiting. Pepsid is to great for nausea. You may need to ask your vet for either Cerenia or ondansetron. They are much more effective for nausea.

Katherine's point about the fructosamine is on target You may want to get a few blood glucose tests. Remember, in remission really means Xena is a diet controlled diabetic. I am fairly certain that what you're feeding Xena is high in carbs.

You may want to try feeding your cat a novel protein. I have an IBD kitty (diagnosed via biopsy). I had been feeding Gizmo a diet of poultry for years. I switched him to a combination of a raw diet (pork, lamb, or bison) along with canned ZiwiPeak (venison, rabbit and lamb). He gets rabbit treats. Along with what's now a very small dose of prednisone, he's been doing great. I'm linking a website on Raw Feeding for IBD Cats. The website has wonderful information on supplements, diarrhea, nausea/vomiting and other issues regardless of whether you opt to use a raw diet. They also have a Facebook page where you can get questions answered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.