Klinger Cardiac Arrest/ICU Prayers Please He's HOME! HCM

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Marcy & Klinger (GA), Feb 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Marcy & Klinger (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello and Happy Valentine's Day!

Klinger's going for his dental this Saturday, 2/18. nailbite_smile The last time he had a dental, he was on Prozinc. The vet said since I free feed Klinger, I should pick up his food at midnight, give him 1/2 his dose at normal shot time (4:30 am MT) and drop him off at 7:30 am. Does that sound right?

Thanks,
    Marcy & Klinger

2. Laura and Harley (GA)

Laura and Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: Klinger goes for his dental 2/18

Hi Marcy, Happy Valentines Day to you and the Boyz (including your DH)!

Glad that Klinger is getting his much needed dental. Those instructions sound about right. My vet was a little more conservative - he recommended no insulin the night before and the morning of and no food after 8 p.m. BUT most of his clients aren't home testing and he's from the "no food=no insulin" school of thought. So I actually did what your vet told you instead and both my boys came out fine. ;-)

Crossing eyes, paws, digits and tails that all wil go smoothly on Saturday!

cat_pet_icon Klinger

3. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

I might be more conservative than that - and it might depend a lot on what the PS test is that morning. Like if he's in the 200s, half a dose is probably safe, but if he gives a 100 or something, maybe only .5u.

I'm finding it odd that he can surf all day in the 100s and then be in the 300-400s basically on the same dose. And the days where he jumps 100-200 points by +2 makes me a little suspicious of rebound - which makes me want to be cautious about giving insulin on a fasted cat that won't eat for 24 hrs. Make sure that he is checked (BG) at the vet throughout his stay. If he drops low they can give him glucose through an IV. Not the ideal situation, but better than a hypo. My vets had to do that with Beau early on when I took him there for a curve and he would not eat for them.

4. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Thanks, Laura and Sheila.
    I'm leaning towards the conservative side with his dose the night before because he went low and I had to continue to feed him after midnight - which pushed back the time of the dental. Granted that was on Prozinc, but I would hate for that to happen again.

Sheila, I've updated his ss and you can really see the rebound. We've reduced his dose to 2.25 the other day and he's starting to come down, but I'm wondering if it's still too much insulin. Would love to hear your feedback.

Have a wonderful day! :coffee:

5. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

It is so hard to tell the difference, by looking at numbers, from too much and not enough insulin, but what I look for are the lows and the highs. I think that they can't hit numbers below 100 on not enough insulin and that they also won't end up in 400-500s without a rebound response - so overall, Klinger's SS looks like he is still getting too much. That is with all other things being equal: appetite, health, etc. This is my opinion from my experience.

I looked over the page for 2011 and see he had nice numbers and even dropped too low on a lot less insulin than he is getting now. I think if he were my cat I'd start over at .5u and give it 5-7 days to settle. Some people think this is risky from the point of view of not getting enough insulin and having high numbers, but he is already having high numbers for several days in a row anyway - and testing for ketones would be a smart thing to do while trying the lower dose. It takes nerves of steel to not react to a slightly higher number by raising the dose, but you have to give it time to let the rebound response fade out to see the "true" numbers.

I have a "theory" on why a little too much insulin causes higher numbers and even more insulin causes a few decent numbers, but then reducing the dose causes high numbers again. I will try to explain it. If the body is experiencing too much insulin it "fights" back with the rebound response and releases stored glucose and hormones like cortisol to prevent a hypo. Over a long enough time this becomes the "normal" response. It is like the insulin is exerting pressure on one side and the body sets up an equal pressure on the other side to neutralize it. Add more insulin and there is increased pressure on the insulin side that overpowers the body's defense. Usually, balance is restored after a few cycles until the next dose increase. Eventually there may be a collapse of the defenses and the BG plummets before the body's defense can be restored. Now, take the same pressure to pressure balance and reduce the insulin and there is overpowering of the defensive forces (outputting cortisol and glucose) and the numbers rise - until the body figures out it can back off and a balance is restored along with lower numbers. But as long as there is even a little too much insulin, the body will be pushing back with cortisol and glucose and raising the numbers to some degree.

Don't know if that makes any sense to anyone but me. It's just my attempt to explain, in a simple way, why too much insulin causes higher numbers.

At any rate, right before his dental is not the time to experiment with his dose as there is not enough time for things to settle out. By reducing his dose the night before and again in the morning is the conservative thing to do, so I agree with your thoughts to go that route.

6. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Thank you, Sheila. That was a wonderful explanation. I agree that to change things before he dental won't give him much time to settle. I'll keep him on 2.25 for the next day and give him a reduced dose the night before and morning of his dental and then we'll see what's what.
    Thanks again!
    Marcy & Klinger

7. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

:coffee:
    Klinger's 109 AMPS, I may shave the dose a little. He was a little picky with his breakfast...

8. Laura and Harley (GA)

Nice AMPS! C'mon Klinger, nom, nom, nom for Mom.

9. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Peggy and Mickey (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers and healing vibes for Klinger!!

10. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

I am not looking forward to tomorrow morning. Since I can't feed Klinger at 4:15ish tomorrow morning, is there any reason why I couldn't delay his shot time to say 6:30 am (drop off at the vet at 7:30 am)? I'm considering hiding in bed so I don't have to look into those big kitty eyes when he and Radar are asking for food.

Attached Files:

11. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

That should be OK. So he would be at +14?

My concern would be what time are they doing the dental? Ideally you would not want the insulin peak time to coincide with when he is under anesthesia. So delaying his shot to 6:30 AM is a good idea, in case they aren't working on him until 10AM or so. That's what happens at our clinic - you take them in at 7:30AM and it's 9AM or after before they even start the procedure.

I hope they will be monitoring his BG AFTER the procedure. You will probably have to pay a ridiculous amount (my vet charges $15 PER test), but ask them to check his BG after the procedure as well. Gandalf went lower than my vet wanted to see after his last dental, 60s I think. Vets freak out over 50s, when those of us using Levemir know that is a safe number as long as it's not rapidly falling.

Good luck. Will be looking for updates :smile:

12. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Oh, those sad eyes. That's exactly what he will be looking like too, but good luck hiding in bed. He will probably start demanding food by 5 am.

Will be sending "good dental vibes" his way tomorrow.

13. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Thanks, ladies.
    Our vet charges $20 a pop. She said that they check a few times during the procedure, but I'll be sure to have them check after as well.
    Well, I was able to stay in bed until 6:15 with only 3 attacks from Radar. He likes to attack your head and eat your hair - so gross! :lol: They've both given up for the moment and are taking a little nap.

Send Klinger good thoughts, prayers, healing vines/vibes, snowflakes, and anything else you can think of, please.
    I don;t have a time when he'll actually be worked on, but she did say they do the diabetics first. I'm pretty sure it's what you described Vicky - they don't actually start until at least 9:00.
    Today is going to be torture! I'll update when I know someting. Thanks for being here. :YMHUG:

14. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Sending all kinds of good wishes for a smooth and successful dental for Klinger today and lots of calming vibes for you and Craig.

Maxwell & Musette go in this Thursday to get their teeth look at so we will know what we are looking at in regards of their dentals, and have those dreaded appointments scheduled.

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

15. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

More good vibes for Klinger. You didn't say if they expect to do any extractions? Make sure they give you some buprenorphine to take home if they do! And NO Convenia shot and no Metacam!!!

Don't mean to be a fearmonger, but when there are better alternatives, why take the chance on those drugs? Bupe is fine for pain and Clindamycin works well on oral bacteria, if they think he should have an AB.

16. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Still sending good dental vibes to Klinger.

Good points on the meds, Vicky. I hope she reads your post before the vet has a chance to give anything like Convenia to him.

17. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

At the er. He. Went into cardiac arrest. They were able to bring him back, which apparently is rare. They're doing a chest xray and he'll stay in icu. His blood pressure is good and his oxygen level is ok.
    Please continue to send prayers. We need them.

18. MommaOfMuse

OMG (((((Marcy, Craig & Klinger))))

We are praying as hard and as fast as we can that you will be okay big guy!!!! Musette says if you just better she will don a tutu and tiara and do a special tortie dance just for you!

19. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

((((Marcie & Klinger))))

I'm so sorry to hear this....may prayers going out to both of you!

Barbara

20. Julie and Eleanor (GA)

Julie and Eleanor (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. Praying for both of you.

21. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh...sending prayers fast...
    j

22. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Prayers for Klinger from here.

23. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

((((((Marcy Klinger Craig Radar))))))

Praying hard for Klinger.

Come on buddy pull through.

24. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Prayers are with you and Klinger.

25. Charlotte and Indy (GA)

Charlotte and Indy (GA) Member

(((((Marcy & Klinger)))) Hang in there buddy. You've got prayers coming from all over.

26. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Keep fighting, Klinger!

27. Laura and Harley (GA)

Oh no! (((((Marcy, Craig, Klinger, Radar))))) Sending healing prayers and white light your way.

:YMHUG:

28. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

Oh no Marcy! Please let us know when you can how he is doing. Sending many hugs and prayers for your boy and for you! (((Marcy)))

29. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Re: Klinger's Dental: Update Cardiac Arrest/ICU

Thank you so much for your prayers and support. I've been trying to post an update for well over an hour and every time I do, I start sobbing. We're so scared for Klinger.
    Here are the current concerns:
    90-100% oxygenation with O2 support - he's in an oxygen cage in ICU.
    Blood glucose is in the 400s - gave R to bring him down, will continue to monitor BGs
    He's blind
    He's not ambulatory - can't stand on his own
    He has moderate ketones
    Continue to monitor EKG
    The vet said that maybe 1% are able to be brought back from cardiac arrest and Klinger's blood test came back looking really for a kitty that just came back, so we're holding on to that as hopeful. While in our hearts we realize that we may need to make a very hard decision in the next few days.
    The next 24 hours will be cruicial in his recovery. Please continue to keep Klinger in your thoughts and prayers. Sorry if this doesn't make sense. My head feels like it's going to split in two.
    I'll update more when I can....thanks again for your support. Keep it coming!!! :cry:

30. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: Klinger Dental -Cardiac Arrest/ICU Prayers Please

HUGS MARCY - thank you for the update.

Continue fighting KlingerBaby, everyone's trying so hard for you too.

Prayers continue here.

31. kse

kse Well-Known Member

I will continue to Keep you and Klinger in my prayers.

My dog just spent 5 days in ICU--in very bad condition, we thought she would not make it, but she did. Doctors and medicine can do wonderful things...don't give up.

Please continue to update when you can.

(((((Marcy & Klinger)))))

32. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Oh my God, Marcy, I did not expect to read that Klinger is in trouble today! I'm so sorry you are having to endure this trauma.

Prayers and white light from here. Sounds like they are giving him the best chance he can get of recovery.

((((((Marcy))))))

33. MommaOfMuse

Come on Klinger keep fighting, we are pulling so hard for you honey!!!!!

((((Marcy, Craig, Klinger & Radar)))))

Holding you all close in our hearts and prayers!!!

34. allie and newkitty

allie and newkitty Member

I am so sorry Marcy. I can't even imagine how terrifying this is. Praying your Klinger rebounds in the next little while--he has already beaten the odds so clearly he is a fighter. Sending you many cyber hugs.

35. Marci and Buddy

Marci and Buddy Member

Marcy-just seeing this now---Please know you and Klinger are in my thoughts and prayers tonight.
    Hugs and white light sending your way. Update us whenever you can.

36. Charliemeow

Charliemeow Well-Known Member

Oh ((((((Marcy)))))) I'm so sorry! I wish I had seen this earlier, but I'm sending every good thought I can possibly think for my favorite boy Klinger. Charlie says "hang in dare buddy. yer mama luvs yu and needs yu to git bettr, n my mama sez she luvs yu to, speshilly cuz we both gru up in pzi tgethr n werkd on our dire beasties tgethr."
    Huge hugs for you and gentle pats for your sweet Klinger. cat_pet_icon

Crying empathetic tears with you.

claudia, charlie & darla

37. carolyn & jesse (GA) & spock

carolyn & jesse (GA) & spock Well-Known Member

Sending love and support and white healing light to Klinger.

38. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

OMG, Marcy, I am so sorry - praying as hard as I can for Klinger. Sending healing thoughts his way from all of us here.

Come on Klinger, you can pull through. Please. Mommy and Radar need you.

((((Marcy))))

39. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Thank you everyone for your continued support and prayers. We just got back from visiting Klinger in the ICU. He's still not eating...he's still blind...the semi positive news is that he was fighting them when they tried to hook up the EKG to him. We're hoping that tomorrow morning brings more positive signs. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. We so appreciate all the hugs, healing light, and vibes being sent to our boy.

(((Klinger))) my tuna fishy, my peanut butter, my mistu...don't stop fighting baby :cry: :cry: I love you so much and I don't know what I'll do without you... :cry: :cry:

40. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

((((( marcy and klinger )))))
    sending positive thoughts and prayers.

:YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

41. Rob & Harley (GA)

Sending healing Reiki to Klinger.

42. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

{{hugs}}

43. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

DCIN is sponsoring a chip-in for the very high and unexpected costs for Klinger's ER care. Please help if you can.

Klinger's blog page.

44. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Prayers for Klinger to beat this. Sending vines and healing white light, that he feels better today. ((((((BIG HUGS))))))

45. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

Oh Marcy...just saw this on the DCIN facebook page and it brought tears to my eyes. What a horrible time for you all!! Sending lots of love and healing prayers to Klinger and all of you...hoping he makes a speedy recovery.
    Lots of love...Darlene & Jack

46. Beth & Atlas

Beth & Atlas Well-Known Member

Prayers and healing sent ....

47. akbahsMum

akbahsMum Member

(((((((Klinger and Marcy)))))) Prayers and thoughts.

48. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Peggy and Mickey (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh, no! I was just checking in to see how the dental went and certainly did not expect this. You must be so scared for him ((hugs))
    Sending prayers, healing vibes to Klinger! Hang in there baby boy!

49. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

We didn't get a phone call over night, so hopefully that means he's not any worse. The internist will take over his case this morning. I don't expect to hear from her until after rounds take place at 9:30 MT.
    Last night was so hard and this morning I looked at the clock and it was his shot time... my eyes are almost closed from the swelling from all the crying and then I log on to FB and see Klinger's DCIN post. That sent the tears flowing again. We can't believe the amount of support that we've received on the board. So much love and support has meant the world to us.

50. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Continued prayers that Klinger is better this morning.

51. Angela&Henry

Angela&Henry Well-Known Member

Sending prayers and violet flame reiki to Klinger and to you.
    I pray you will get positive news about Klinger and he'll continue to fight.
    (((hugs)))

52. Angela&Henry

Sending prayers and violet flame reiki to Klinger and your family.
    I pray he will be improved this morning.
    love & light
    Angela & Henry

53. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

(((((((Marcy & Klinger)))))))
    We are sending very positive thoughts to you this morning: thoughts, prayers, and healing vines for Klinger to make a complete recovery.
    :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

Ella & Rusty

54. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

My heart and thoughts are with you today Marcy. What a frightening thing to happen during a dental. (((((Marcy and Klinger)))) I hope Klinger makes a full recovery. Sending strength to you as you help him get well.

55. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

I just got off the phone with the internist. She was very pleased with his progress considering he did die yesterday. She's running another blood panel to make sure nothing's going wrong with his internal organs and will have those results later this afternoon. We'll be visiting him between 12-2 pm. The very BEST news is that he ATE!!!!!!!!!!!!! This morning he ate maybe 5 tablespoons before they started messing with him and he started growling and fighting them. That makes my heart soar. He's still blind and that can take a few weeks, if ever, to recover from.

Thank you for all the prayers, healing light, and support. Please keep it coming. We're so thankful to each and every one of you.

56. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh THANK YOU LORD!!! Keep eating and fighting KlingerBaby. MamaBean can deal with blind, that's an easy one, just keep eatin' and fightin'.

HUGS and HUGS Marcy,

57. MommaOfMuse

Woohoo for the eating and the being pissy with them when they are messing with him! If he has enough strength to fight them then he has enough strength to fight his way back to you guys...When love is strong, miracles happen!

Come on Buddy fight, fight, fight your mom, dad and little brother need you back so badly. And your extended family is sending you all their love and strength too.

58. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Dearest Marcy,

I'm so glad to hear this news! It means he is a fighter and has a will to live! Not only did he eat but he fought them. Way to go, Klinger!!! :RAHCAT

Hang in there! He's probably going to look very rough when you visit him, please prepare yourselves for that. It's hard to see them like that. ((((((Marcy))))))

59. Laura and Harley (GA)

Considering all that's happened this is the best possible news right now.
    flip_cat

Continued prayers, support and healing and eating vines are coming your way.

C'mon Klinger baby, the world is rooting for you, there is still so much to live for. Please come home to Mama soon. And don't forget to nom, nom, nom, nom...

60. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Sounds Better! Come on Klinger keeping fighting!

61. Barbara

I'm so glad to see a good report! Come on Klinger keep fighting! Still sending prayers for all of you. :YMHUG:

Barbara

62. Marci and Buddy

Marci and Buddy Member

YAY!! keep hissing and fighting Klingerboy-we're with you.

63. terri1962

terri1962 Well-Known Member

Marcy,

I am posting over here on the Lev board to tell you I am praying for Klinger. I am so sorry. I will be watching for updated posts.

Terri

64. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Marcy, you and Klinger have been in my thoughts all day (and half the night - it was prayers for Klinger that I fell asleep to). Still sending prayers and good thoughts your way.

Yay, for eating! Yay, for being pissy! Keep fighting Klinger, but also rest and gain your strength.

Klinger, Beau and especially Jeddie send their healing thoughts your way, sweet boy.

S-

65. Rob & Harley (GA)

Great news!!!

Continuing to send peace, love and healing Reiki to you both.

66. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Oh my GOD Marcy-I am SO sorry!!!! My thoughts and prayers go out to you and Klinger. There is hope though - don't give up. It sounds like he's a fighter. I've seen cats on this board who have had temporary blindness and getting their site back again. He's special....he's gonna pill through! Come on Klinger!!!! Keep fighting!

67. pamela and tigger

I hope the visit today went well Marcy. Everyone is so pulling for your boy. Keep fighting Klinger - your Mommy loves you so much as do all of us here on FDMB. (((Marcy)))

68. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Thank you so much for keeping Klinger in your prayers. We just got back from visiting him. They moved him out of the oxygen cage :thumbup His blood pressure is normal. His potassium was a little high, so they removed that from the intravenous fluids he's receiving. His liver value is elevated, but she's pretty sure it will come down soon. He ate the smelts and shrimp we brought him. :D He was pretty growly with us, but he usually is at the vet, so we weren't discouraged. He has an appt with the cardiologist tomorrow morning.

Vicky - they called us yesterday when they were still trying to revive him. He was gone for 10 minutes...10 minutes is a heck of a long time. We were there and saw him at his worst - it was scary and I won't go into detail here...I still picture him like that when I close my eyes. Anyway, he looked awesome today compared to yesterday. Here he is in his non-oxygen "room"

He still needs your prayers, love, and support. We still can't thank you all enough.

Attached Files:

69. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

That sounds hopeful, Marcy. Especially that he is eating. he must feel better. Maybe he is confused about where he is because he can't see? In some ways, maybe that is less stressful. But he must be able to smell that he is in a vet hospital. Have you taken in a t-shirt or something with your smells on it? That might be helpful.

Did they say how his ketones are? I can't remember and the link to him profile wasn't working yesterday, did he have any cardiac issues before this?

Hang in there. We are all pulling for Klinger.

70. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Hey Marcy, I heard from Claudia about your sweet boy and want you to know we're praying for the best. Such a beautiful boy!

71. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

I was expecting him to be hooked up to tubes or something I guess. I'm sorry you had to see him on the operating table. That had to have been horrible. Hugs. Cats are amazing creatures - the fact that he didn't have a heartbeat for 10 minutes and is still with us is astounding. I applaud your vet's staff for trying so hard to help him. The best staffs are prepared for such events and yours is certainly one of the best!

I pray for his continued improvement and that the cardiologist can identify what happened.

72. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Thank you for the update! Thank goodness he's better. Keep going Klinger!!!!

73. Barbara

10 minutes?! I'm surprised they called you & you were able to get there so fast but sorry you had to see him like that. I'm so glad he's doing better. :YMHUG:

74. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Marcy, this is such positive news! Keep up the good work, Klinger. All FDMB is rooting for your complete recovery.

Ella & Rusty

75. donnahc

donnahc Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear this happened Marcy. We're sending love and healing light your way.
    (((((hugs)))))

76. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Ketones, liver values, and potassium are all back to normal values. His latest BG number was 225 - he's still on R insulin.

Ok, uh, Klinger might be coming home tomorrow after his ultrasound with the cardiologist. I'm so happy, but terrified at the same time. How can we make him more comfortable in his surroundings with his new blindness???

77. Pam & Alley

Pam & Alley Member

Marcy, just saw this post today, I am so sorry this happened to Klinger. Sending lots of prayers for his complete recovery. He knows his home, he knows the surroundings, his eyesight will prove not to be a problem for him. Keep positive thoughts, he has come so far, nothing can stop him now.

78. Charliemeow

Charliemeow Well-Known Member

I'm so so so relieved! I'm sure he'll do fine with blindness...except when that spunky kitten Radar gets in his way! He knows your house and how it's set up. It shouldn't take him long to figure it out. He'll know he is home and he will find so much comfort in that. He's done so well fighting to get back there- I know he's got more fight in him to overcome the blindness. Sending you all so much love and anxious to hear more updates!

79. Marci and Buddy

Marci and Buddy Member

Very happy to hear this...what a trooper! you may want to keep him confined to a small area at first so he feels more in control of his surrounding.

80. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Marcy,
    What about starting a new post with a subject like
    Need tips for preparing blind-proofing home for newly blind cat

I know that Nancy and Cody can help with some tips like closing off places Klinger can get into but then be stuck and can't get out.

I am so relieved to hear Klinger's recovering so well; I love to hear of the feistyness.

81. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

I agree with Gayle about starting a new thread to get help with him coming home - but start it on Health. It will get more eyes there - and maybe link it here on lev since people are checking her for updates?

Also, agree about blocking off areas he can get stuck in, especially at first. And have a safe area/room to confine him to when no one is home. Some place he can't get stuck under, behind or through something - like cords and such.

I had a cat that had a couple of strokes and while he didn't loose his eyesight, he was mentally effected and circled the rooms (always counter-clockwise, for some reason) along the wall and did not seem to have a "reverse" gear. He managed to get stuck behind a radiator at night. It was going full blast, of course, and all I could think to do was reach down behind it and pull him upward. I burned my arm doing it, but he seemed to be OK - my point being that even a place you think they can't get stuck - like a few inches between a radiator and a wall - they can get stuck there if they are determined, confused, and/or scared.

I don't mean to alarm you and you are already nervous about it - just look around, under, behind things and think like a cat. You, and Klinger, will be fine. And all of us will start praying for his sight to return.

82. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Thanks for the ideas and thanks for sharing your experience, Sheiila. How scary that your kitty got stuck behind the radiator! I posted on health asking for suggestions on preparing for a newly blind kitty. Here's the link http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=64143

This morning is going by so slowly...

83. Angela&Henry

Continuing to send prayers and healing reiki to Klinger.
    Cats can do very well with blindness, especially in familiar surroundings, it just takes some adjustments.
    Hopefully, the blindness is temporary, he truly is a miracle cat and he has made so much progress already.

84. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I know I dont belong in this condo but I just HAD to say how proud I am of you and Klinger What BRAVE fighters you are! God bless you both.
    jeanne

85. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Jeanne, why do you think you "do not belong"? That's just silly. Everyone is welcome on lev and to post encouragement and good wishes to anyone. It's Marcy's thread, but I think I can speak for her on this.

86. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Klinger is HOME!! dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat
    The echo revealed that he does have Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (HCM) and was rx diltiazem. He'll be starting that tonight and they want me to reduce his insulin to 1 unit and hold it there until our follow up appt on Friday.

He's a little unsteady when he walks, but he is walking. We've blocked off the basement stairs from him and of course he's hanging out in front of them. He ate and drank as soon as we got home and he's now lounging out trying to figure out what the heck's been going on since Saturday.

Radar is very happy to have him home, but he's back to his tricks of trying to play with him from under the bed. I think we'll have to separate them when we return to work.

More to come...
    Going to search the internet for HCM.
    Thank you all, big HUGS from us.

87. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat

88. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Happy homecoming, Klinger! Marcy, you must be so happy to have him home.

I don't know if you remember, but Beau has HCM. He was dx at age 3 and have been on diltiazem every since (plus lasix in the beginning and pred for severe pancreatitis). He was given a 2-5 year prognosis. That was 10 years ago. I can't remember what his starting dose on diltiazem was, but his maintenance dose has been 1/4 tab (of a 30 mg tab) once a day. So, this is doable.

I will be praying that Klinger does as well with HCM as Beau has - and that he gets some or all of his sight back.

89. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

AWESOME NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So glad Klinger is back home where he belongs, with his loving family. I'm sure he will adjust well and Radar will keep him on his toes!
    Been thinking of you guys all day...great news to come home too. Please give him some hugs and kisses from me and Jack!

:RAHCAT :RAHCAT flip_cat flip_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat

90. Pam & Alley

Pam & Alley Member

Great News! Nothing like being home safe and sound to make a complete recovery. So very happy to hear this news!

Continued prayers and healing vibes.

91. pamela and tigger

Oh Marcy, so very glad to hear he is home.

I am sorry that I don't have any experience with HCM to share like Sheila and others. If you go to the Health forum and put in HCM in the Search box you will get lots of info from others on the board that have cats with this - I got 95 hits.

Jess and Earl often replies to HCM posts since that is her specialty so look for posts that she has replied in. You might also edit the title of your post on Health with the HCM dx too and maybe she will see it.

Poor baby, I hope his sight comes back soon. Here is one person's experience on Ask the Doctor and the doctor's response....scroll down - it continues to the end of the page. Maybe something here that might help although it looks like you got some excellent responses here and on Health too.

http://www.justanswer.com/cat-health/4rawg-cat-went-cardiac-arrest-getting-spayed-last.html

Were they able to do the dental before this happened? Just curious.....I know that is the least of your problems right now. (((Marcy and Klinger)))

92. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Hi again Marcy! congrats that the big boy is home, eating, and possibly regaining some vision!

Cody also has an enlarged heart. It's part of his acromegaly. They found it about 2.5 years ago when they did an US for possible triaditis and his megacolon. He's been on enelapril, which like your diltiazen, also is a drug that dialates the arteries, to decrease how hard the heart works. FYI I looked it up on a drug interaction checker, and it looks pretty safe with your levemir. I wondered, because many of the other acro cats are on either enelapril or benazapril for their large hearts, and both of them do note interaction warnings. Benazapril is favored by some vets treating acro, because it seems to favorably influence protein in the urine, which is an issue for so many cats . Benazapril has really dropped the insulin needs of some of our super high dosers. I've never really noticed much difference with enelapril.

Anyway, just wanted to reassure you that HCM kitties can live long lives! and to send cyber hugs to your boy :D

93. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

This is the BEST news I've heard! Klinger is home!!!

He must have had some Angels sitting on his shoulders to recover from such a frightening ordeal. 10 minutes!!! OMG

Hugs and more hugs to you, Marcy, and to your miracle kitty, Klinger. ((((((((((Marcy and Klinger))))))))))

94. Angela&Henry

Welcome home Klinger ! cat_pet_icon dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat

95. Charlotte and Indy (GA)

Charlotte and Indy (GA) Member

dancing_cat (((Marcy and Klinger!))) dancing_cat

96. MommaOfMuse

YAY!!! WELCOME HOME KLINGER!!!!

10 minutes!!! OMG!!! I have to tell you this has me more than a little concerned for my two extra sweet babies, Musette & Maxwell both go for their pre-dental exams this Thursday. If my vet thought I was going to grill him on how they are going to handle their dentals, I think I have added like 200 more questions to ask now before I schedule either one of them to actually have their teeth done. :lol:

Mel, Maxwell, Musettte & Fur Gang

97. Karen & dB (GA)

Karen & dB (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Marcy, what an awful weekend! I am so sorry to hear about Klinger, and of course you all have my prayers. I read your posts and glanced at others, but FWIW, if the blindness has anything to do with the diabetes, it is possible that Klinger might regain his sight. dB had a couple of very bad hypos and had temporary blindness. His vision wasn't perfect afterward, but he did regain most of it. Sending you lots of prayers, white light, vines, snowflakes, and whatever else I can muster! Keep the faith!!!!!

98. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

Hope Klinger is adjusting well at home and getting lots of love!!

99. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Sorry there's been no update. I had to go back to work today. Klinger appears much the same as yesterday, content to be on his cozy bed. I was able to catch him in the LB and thankfully no ketones appeared! Yay!

It's amazing the things you forget...Craig asked if I told anyone at work and I said no (they're not furbaby people and often tell me I'm crazy for treating a diabetic cat). Craig did and he was telling one of his coworkers how cool it was when we got there that Klinger's oxygenation was 60% and they were getting ready to but the tube down his nose into his lungs and Craig said to me - go over there and talk to him, which of course I did and his number immediately increased to 93%. Isn't that awesome!

Pamela - they didn't get to do his dental. This all happened as soon as they put him under. So, what ever shape his mouth is in, he'll have to live with it for the time being.

They can't really say for sure if he'll ever regain his sight. They say that it might take a few weeks or he may never get it back. He's been doing pretty well so far.

Going to spend some time with Klinger. Thanks for thinking of him and keeping him in your prayers.

100. Barbara

Thanks for the update Marcie. I know you've got a lot to do & of course you need to spend all the time you can with Klinger. Give him kisses & tell him what a fan club he has here!

That is an amazing story about his oxygenation coming up when you were talking to him! I'm so glad ya'll were able to get there so quickly, especially since your voice helped him out so much.

I don't have any experience at all with a blind kitty but I'm impressed he's using the LB. Take care & keep us upated when you can. Praying he continues to do well. :YMHUG:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.