Klinger Cardiac Arrest/ICU Prayers Please He's HOME! HCM

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Marcy & Klinger (GA), Feb 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

glad to see the update too. :)

my LePew spends alot of time laying around fwiw. he is 17 though so not sure if it's his age or the blindness.

they really do adapt quickly. but do expect to give him a little leeway if he has accidents and such. for the first few months and every once in a great while still, LePew doesn't make it to the litterbox. thank goodness for tile floors i say :) all our litterboxes were upstairs before he lost his sight but i've added 2 downstairs since to help him out which greatly reduced the frequency of his accidents, from at least once a week to once every few months now.

for the most part he gets up and goes where he wants to go, i.e. litterbox, food dish, waterbowl, but occasionally he does get up and start walking around, randomly, and for some reason from time to time it's as if he can't figure out where he's at and ultimately he just has to go. so he does, and i clean it up and tell him it's ok, that i understand, that mommie will take care of it and don't be embarrassed. for the last 6 months or so though now i can tell he's looking for something and isn't finding it so i'll get up and grab him, ask him if he's got to go, and sit him in front of one of the litterboxes. if he does, he climbs in and goes. every once in a while i've got it wrong and he just keeps on walking :)

also, they naturally will slow down when they are up and about so getting hurt doesn't seem to be the biggest worry, not so much as them getting confused and lost and crying out. so i wouldn't worry about him hurting himself too much. it is second nature for me now though to be extra alert if let's say i've got the oven door laying open while i'm checking on something i'm cooking in it or if i've got a fire in the fireplace i make sure to never leave it unattended with the screen thing on the front open, not even for a second or stuff like that. i've never had to worry about one of my cats and those things but when they can't see the danger, we gotta see the danger for them.

my fiance isn't as good at things like that but i keep trying to teach him :) i tell him you gotta think like you've got a small child in the house. :) one of these days he'll get it.

when LePew gets lost he does stop and cry out, deep guttural meows, and all we have to do is call out his name to him and he gets his senses back about him and carries on his way.

2. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Marcy & Klinger,

It sounds like Klinger is doing very well and that he is happy to be home. I know that he will be able to adapt to his blindness or partial blindness. He's a fighter and he's a cat, and cat's don't let things like that defeat them!
    We are continuing to send positive thoughts and healing vines for Klinger's recovery.

Many :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: s to you and your family,

Ella & Rusty

3. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I am so so so happy that klinger is home!! I know it must have been awful to see him like that, and I am so glad everything turned out ok! I don't have any experience with blind kitties myself, but it sounds like if klinger does not regain sight, he will be just fine .. But will be keeping fingers and paws crossed it comes back for him!

4. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Marcy & Klinger (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi! Well, it's hard to give an update when I've been at work all day...
    He's eating, drinking, peeing, pooping, and preening. :D They had to shave sections on his belly for the EKG and it looks like he has a two pack. It it the softest thing I have ever felt. I can't help but pet that soft peach fuzz. He's most interested in licking the area they shaved for his IV.

His numbers have been in the 300 and 400s for preshots at 1 unit. The vet would like me to hold it until his follow up visit on Friday. I am having a really hard time sitting on my hands, but since he's still fragile and started the heart med, we want to give it a few days to see how he reacts.

Klinger has no problem finding the LB, so far. When he had his p-titis episode in December, we put another LB in our bedroom...that worked out. He did pee in my car on the way home from the hospital. It never even occured to me to bring a pee pad that day. ohmygod_smile

He's active in the morning, walking around, wanting to go out in the enclosed front porch, waiting for me to give him his pills and get breakfast out PDQ! When I get home at night, he's already had his dinner and is usually enjoying his after dinner nap, which this week has rolled into bed time.

Thank you for keeping Klinger in your thoughts and prayers.
    All the best to you and yours,
    Marcy & Klinger

5. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Marcy, that all sounds good. He is a true miracle kitty. Beau used to be the miracle kitty (for beating the HCM odds, chronic p-titis, FD, etc.), but I think that Klinger has won that title now.

I remember when Beau was shaved for his US. He has spots on his belly! He has his entire underside done so they could look at both his chest and his abdomen. He was so embarrassed - but I do remember the peach fuzz!

Give Mr. Klinger, oh wait, he's a corporal isn't he? Anyway, give him a pat from me.

6. Charliemeow

Charliemeow Well-Known Member

I love hearing that he has his P's in order! You'll get those numbers back down. He is one resilient kitty! cat_pet_icon :YMHUG:

7. Pam & Alley

Pam & Alley Member

If cats do have nine lives, Kinger used up a couple of them this week! Great news that he is coming along so well, keep up the good work Klinger! Chin scratches to you.

8. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Sheila, I think they are both miracle boys.

We have our follow up visit later this morning. I hate to bring him back and stress him out again. Hopefully it won't take too long and he'll be back home. It's been a long week away from him. I'm glad that I can finally spend the day loving on him.
    cat_pet_icon

9. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Marcy,

I'm so glad that Klinger is doing well and behaving normally. I'm sure that warms your heart.

Klinger, you're our little Miracle Man. Keep warming your momma's heart!

10. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Hope the vet visit went well. Please update when you can. You have a lot of people following his saga and wishing him well.

(might be time to start a new thread?)

11. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

We're back. They checked his vitals, took more blood, which we should have those results tomorrow, and I showed them (there were 3 to see the miracle man!) his spreadsheet. The cardiologist had me lower him to 1 unit this past Monday night and asked me to hold it there until our appt today. The Internist, after checking out his ss, would like me to go back up to 2 units. I have mixed feelings about this...I know we don't usually go up full units, but this was his previous dose...anyone want to weigh in?

Overall they were pleased with his progress. They were also pleased with how calm his is when I'm with him and it made the blood draw so much easier. cat_pet_icon Shrimp time!

12. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Marcy, since he had pretty good numbers at 2.5U I don't see any harm in going up to 2U in one jump. He's way too high right now and with the stress of meds and illness, he doesn't needed the added stress of high BGs.

13. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Great report Marcy!!!! No advice, just happy thoughts form me, Merlin and Trinket!

14. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

I just got a call from the vet. They have already received the results of his blood work and all of his values are back to normal! dancing_cat :thumbup

Thank you so much for your input, Vicky. I did go with 2 units.

Traci, thanks for checking on Klinger.

Sheila, I think you're right...it's time for a new thread. ;-)

15. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

Yay for a good report! flip_cat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.