Lab results back...high folate questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Howiesmom, Dec 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

I thought Howie might be B12 deficient with all of his diarrhea issues recently so we did a full GI panel from Texas A&M. I got a voicemail from my vet with the test results and am playing phone tag with him right now to get specifics. Here is what I know so far:
    TLI is normal
    PLI is normal
    Folate is high (could be dysbiosis)
    Cobalamine is normal

He is saying either dietary or medicinal intervention (I.e., low dose metronidazole). What questions should I be asking? The diarrhea has subsided after a week of a bland diet and reintroducing S Boulardii. I’ve also been giving him methyl B12 and 200 mg folic acid (in lieu of Zobaline) from a neuropathy incident this summer. I’m assuming I should take him off the folic acid immediately from what I can read (?) What about the methyl B12?
    For anyone who knows more about this, any ideas on dietary interventions before I start medicine? Are there certain things in food that I should look for? I appreciate any and all help as the info I can read online is very technical! Howie is turning out to be my little medical mystery!

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

If the diarrhea has subsided I’m not sure if I would use metronadozole as it might lead to constipation. I like that your vet says a low dose if you try it. If you do make sure you get the pills. The liquid is not good for cats. The pills are very bitter though so put in an empty gel capsule and make sure not to touch the capsule with the fingers that held the pill. Ask what to do if constipation happens. Since you are seeing improvement I would opt for diet first. I like your vet!

3. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Just got his test results:

Folate: 22.3 (normal is 9.7-21.6)
    PLI: 2.4 (less than 3.5 is normal)
    TPI: 21.7 (12-82 is normal)
    Cobalamine: greater than 1,000 (290-1500 is normal)

Since he has no diarrhea right now, we’re not going the route of low dose metronidazole. I’m taking him off folic acid and methyl B12. I am wondering if anyone knows if lower fat diets are recommended? His current food is about 43% fat so I don’t know if that’s low or high compared to what he should maybe be on? I’m also wondering about prebiotics that people are using? He currently is on S Boulardii as a probiotic that I will keep him on. Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  4. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

@Wendy&Neko
    Do you know anyone who could possibly answer my questions? I know it’s not totally FD related. Thanks!

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

That sounds good
    Why do you think you want to reduce % fat?Catfood is typicaly high in fat especial diabetic cat food since one wants a low-carb food that means that fat and/or protein has to be high.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

If you look at the catinfo chart, there is a wide variation in how much fat is in the products. 43% is in the range, neither high nor low.

7. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

My vet just said to look for one that’s lower in fat as a general recommendation as I have to find Howie a new food as Dr. Elseys plant that made the wet food has been impacted by COVID and no one is carrying his food. I didn’t think something in the range of 43% was too high.

I also remembered test the Methyl B12 is water soluble so I’m keeping him on that but taking him off the folic acid unless there is another reason I should remove the Methyl B12 too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.