Lantus increase not effective

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Julia78, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Julia78

Julia78 Member

Good morning,
    I’m wondering if it takes a week for increased Lantus dosages to take effect. Pepper’s BG numbers seem to be going up instead of down since I increased his dose from 1.5 to 1.75 five days ago. I can’t help but wonder if this is in part due to the vial of Lantus I’m using losing its efficacy, although I’ve read the vials can last up to six moths. I ordered 5 pens from Marks Marine Meds and am expecting it to be delivered next week. I do not see any white floaters in the vial I’m currently using. I’m very worried about Pepper. Knowing he doesn’t feel well breaks my heart. : (

I purchased the current vial on 7/16/20. Of course the label reads ‘Use before 8/13/20.” The expiration date is 9/30/2022, but presumably that refers to a vial that hasn’t been opened.

2. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

That insulin is just fine. You aren’t getting enough tests to see how low this dose is taking Pepper. Have you read the sticky at the top of this forum? I guess you would want to follow SLGS. You need to do a weekly curve testing every 2 hours for 12 hours or every 3 hours for 18 hours. I’d also get some mid cycle tests at night as many cats drop lower at night. Max sure did. For most cats nadir is +4-7. Try and get random tests at different times to see how low Pepper goes. I think you have room to go up to 2 units.

Julia78 likes this.
  4. Julia78

Julia78 Member

thebigfuzz likes this.
  5. Julia78

Julia78 Member

Ok thank you Tiff (is that what I should call you?) I am going to start giving him 2 units tonight. I’ll set my alarm and get up after midnight tonightto check

6. Julia78

Julia78 Member

Sorry, I sent that before finishing and editing. I got up abruptly to save my toast from burning. I’ll check Pepper’s levels after midnight tonight. Thank you for your wisdom and advice.

7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I’m Elise. Max was my sugar kitty and Tiffany his soul mate. Your welcome. Good luck with the increase.

Julia78 likes this.
  8. Julia78

Julia78 Member

Thank you, Elise. You have a pretty name.