Lantus left out of fridge overnight

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by dfee3, Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dfee3

dfee3 New Member

Hi there. There seems to be a lot of confusion about how long insulin lasts, as well as how best to store it. I'm a newbie and am wondering about the effectiveness and life of our vial of Lantus -- after we accidentally left it out of the fridge overnight (about 15 hours total). We hope not to have to replace it, especially after we broke the first one a couple of weeks ago.... Thanks for any help.... :?

2. Patty & Champ

Patty & Champ Well-Known Member

I'm sure someone with more experience that I will answer your question for you, but I've been told that it's fine out of the fridge (as long as it's not in a hot room or in sunlight) for a few hours. Just make sure before you use it that it's clear and there are no "floaties" in it. If you notice your kitty's numbers not doing as well on that vial of insulin, you may need to replace it.

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

The vial is different than the pens and is supposed to be kept refrigerated. You have more flexibility with the Solostar pens (see the sticky above on How to Handle Lantus). I would pay careful attention to the insulin, like Patty suggested. In addition, if your cat's numbers stop making sense -- some cycles the insulin seems to be working, some cycles not -- get new insulin.

Most of us use the Solostar pens. They end up being more economical than the vial since it is not uncommon to have to throw out insulin. The manufacturer recommends new Lantus after 28 days. Some people here get longer use. Others of us swap out our insulin after 28 days. Regardless, you get 5, 3ml pens in a box of Lantus vs. a 10 ml vial. And, if you should drop/break a pen, you don't lose as much.

4. dfee3

dfee3 New Member

This is very helpful. Thank you. (Our vial looks clear etc., but will keep an eye on it and take note of BG changes...)

By the way, our cat is newly diagnosed and we put him on EVO wet food. To be be honest, he doesn't love it. But, my wife and I had read some bad things about Hills MD and Purina DM. I know there is no magic food, but our vet says our cat is a good candidate for remission (we only give .5 unit twice daily), so we want to have the best food possible to get those numbers down....

I will look at other food topics here, of course.

5. Patty & Champ

Patty & Champ Well-Known Member

Champ is a very finicky cat when it comes to his food, so I didn't have high hopes when I knew he had to be switched to a pate type of wet food. He has always HATED pate food. I tried the Wellness brand (chicken, turkey, chicken & herring, and Turkey & salmon). He LOVES it. I mix it with a bit of water most of the time to make it just a bit runny, just to ensure he's getting enough water throughout the day. He laps it up like it's nectar :lol: Just stay away from any dry food as all of them have higher carbs than the wet foods. I ordered the Wellness food from PetFoodDirect because, even though they charge a lot for shipping, they have an online coupon you can use for 18% off plus their price for a case of food is sooo cheap compared to buying it by the can or case at your local pet store. Make sure you're not giving your cat regular treats (like Temptations) cuz they are very high carb. I give Champ raw or cooked chicken breast because it's cheaper than the store bought freeze dried chicken breast. If money isn't too much of a concern, the freeze dried chicken breast and salmon you can get at a pet store are very good and you're cat will lovelovelove them.

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Purina DM isn't bad carbohydrate wise (7%) whereas Hill MD is not low carb (i.e., 14%). However, both are a very poor quality food. Any cat food that is primarily "animal by-products" is less than desirable. You want to look for brands that are primarily muscle meat and within your budget. FWIW, my cats don't like EVO either! I used to feed Fancy Feast (Classic varieties) which most cats like until my guys decided they like Wellness.

There are 2 excellent resources for information about food. Lisa Pierson, DVM has an great website on feline nutrition. In addition, Janet & Binky's list contains information about protein, fat, and carb content of most of the major brands of cat food.

If you are new to Lantus and want to join in on this forum, you will get tons of information. We're very good at instilling information overload! I'd start with the starred, sticky notes at the top of the Board. There is also an introductory post on how to make the most of your Lantus ISG experience. This post may be of help. While it's not mandatory, setting up a spreadsheet to help you keep track of your cat's BG numbers (we strongly advocate home testing) also allows us to give you a hand with respect to dose and your cat's progress.

7. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

i did the same thing - left it out overnight and the vet told me to get a new one. if you decide to keep using it, just really pay attention to those numbers - and it might have a reduced lifespan. it's painfully expensive, isn't it?!? i feel for ya. my vial was only a week or so old, at that point.

the pens are def a better buy.

8. dfee3

dfee3 New Member

Great, thanks. I'm finding this board quite helpful. I've got the spreadsheet down, but I will definitely read all those sticky notes!

9. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

so many of us have left our insulin out at one time or another... stuff happens!
    i wouldn't worry about it unless you're seeing cloudiness or floaties in the vial. reading through the stickies has been suggested. let us know if you have any questions. we'll try to help however we can...

10. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

I accidentally left my vial Lantus on the counter overnight when Maggie was first diagnosed, and the Pharmacist said the same thing as Jill. It should be okay as long as there is no cloudiness or floaties, but watch the numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.