LANTUS LONGEVITY

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Janey & Bear, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Janey & Bear

Janey & Bear Member

Hi All, I apologize if this has been covered in the past, but is there any sort of way to test the Insulin in the LANTUS pen to see if it still effective? Our is 45 days since opened and yes it’s always kept in the refrigerator, but I just feel like it has lost its strength. I have increased Bear’s units from .05 to 1 and 1.5. His numbers were better when we first started using it then they are now. I wish there was some sort of test strip you could put a drop on and it would be “good” “ old” etc etc.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

People typically use Lantus pens to the very last drop, vials for about six months. Check the Lantus to see if it's clear and has no floaty bits. If so, it's fine.

Have you decided which dosing method you'd like to use? Your last increase was by larger amounts than either of our dosing methods would have you increase. You don't want to bypass a good dose. Cats are sensitive to small changes. You are also holding doses too long, which can glucose toxicity to occur. Sounds worse than it it, basically their body becomes used to high numbers and you need to increase even more to get over it.

Here is the link to your last post here: https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/storing-lantus-while-in-use.245528/

3. Janey & Bear

Janey & Bear Member

Hi Wendy, I read both of the methods over again and it looks like I’m mostly following the SLGS method, but it does look like I have been following a little of each. We’ve had some problems along the way since he was first diagnosed in late February. I guess I didn’t fully understand how to draw the insulin and Bear was only receiving maybe .5 unit and not a full 1 unit for quite a few weeks. Once I realized my mistake we increased to a full 1 unit. We increased to 1.5 this week. His numbers have been consistently in the 300’s for the last 4 days. When we started in February he had a lot more 200’s and a few blues. This is what made me wonder if the insulin has lost its punch. His diet is fancy feast pates all under 5 carb varieties and 1 tablespoon of Dr Elseys mixed in. He gets 2 cans am and 2 cans in the pm. I have 3 other cats and they all now eat the same food but they don’t have the appetite that Bear does. I’m very concerned about him as he is barely 4 yrs old. I prefer the alpha trak meter as it takes such a small amount of blood and is easier for me to test him. I read and read this message board and the Facebook page as much as possible and it can get very overwhelming understanding the best method to follow, how often to feed, etc. You’re the first one I have heard mention “ glucose toxicity” and I am so glad you did. I didn’t know to be concerned about this and this could be what is going on now?

4. Janey & Bear

Janey & Bear Member

5. Janey & Bear

Janey & Bear Member

I just read up on glucose toxicity. The article said to hold a dose for 2 weeks. Do you agree? Could you please advise me on how long to hold this new dose of 1.5? He’s been on this for 4 days.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

What article said to hold for 2 weeks? That's the wrong thing to do with high numbers. With SLGS, we hold for 7 days, then do a curve. If you aren't seeing nadirs between 90 and 149, you increase by 0.25 units. A little reading here: Feline Diabetes and Glucose Toxicity links

7. Janey & Bear

Janey & Bear Member

Thank you, I will read the link you sent and I’ll check back in a few days. Thank you for the advice.

8. Liz & Minnie

Liz & Minnie Well-Known Member

Hi Janey - I switched from AlphaTrak to the (human) Freestyle Lite meter. It uses the same amount of blood 0.3 microliters and the strips are the same design as the AT strips at about half the price. Good luck with things, I know how stressful it is with those high numbers. Before long they will start moving down (it's hard to be patient) but one of these days you'll be all stressed about the lower numbers! I still get a bit anxious with blues (after MONTHS of pinks and reds). Hang in there.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  9. Janey & Bear

Janey & Bear Member

Hi Liz, thank you so much for your reply! How long did you use use the alpha trak before the Freestyle? I’m curious how close the meters read. I keep paying an arm and leg for these damn alpha trak strips because I read that they are the most accurate of all the meters. What have you found?

10. Liz & Minnie

Liz & Minnie Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delay. I used the Alphtrak for 2 containers of AT strips and 1 container of Petmate strips. 24 days.

I didn't compare the meter readings, based on advice here - everyone tells you not to take 2 sets of readings/compare meters because it will drive you crazy. However I did spend a few days taking 2 sets of readings from the 2 meters - not to compare the numbers, but to manage the transition and wean myself from pet-meter scale to human-meter scale. If I just switched cold turkey, I wouldn't have known if there was a genuine big change in numbers or meter variance. The double readings are on Mar4.

The other meter I tried for a while was the Novamax - I bought it for the ketone readings and discovered it also takes BG readings, also only 0.3microliter. Those strips are a lot cheaper but I stopped using that for a while when I was getting some crazy numbers. I did the same thing and had a few days of double readings (Freestyle and Novamax). On reflection I just think she had crazy numbers but at the time I just went back to the Freestyle Lite. I like the little tabs on the side for getting blood though they are finicky if you don't get enough blood - sometimes I'll get a super low reading, other times error code 3 which at least is believable!

Good luck.

11. Janey & Bear

Janey & Bear Member

Thank you Liz!