? LANTUS pen throw away after 28 days?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lando demando, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Lando demando

Lando demando Well-Known Member

I have been using the insulin in the lantus pen for two months now. Was i supposed to discard it after 28 days!?
    I hope i havent injured Lando Using it this long!

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

The instructions to throw a pen away after 28 days is for people who use them and don't refrigerate them. As long as you keep your pen refrigerated and take care of it by not shaking it you can use it until the last drop.

3. Lando demando

Hello Carla,
    Thank you for your reply. Wow really?!? That would be an amazing savings if i could use the lantus pen 6 months or so! I have been refrigerating the pen and letting the syringe sit at room temp for 15 m once pulled.
    There was a tiny part of me that hoped Landos higher numbers were due to less effective insulin… but… i guess the answer as always… patience ;)
    Thanks again

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I used every pen to the last drop and vials for about 6 months. I ended up throwing a lot of insulin away with vials.

smorgasbord likes this.
  5. Lando demando

Thank you Elise! I am relieved to hear this! $$$$$

6. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Well-Known Member

Nope! We are on the last drop of our Lantus vial, opened 4/30. And most definitely accidentally left out for a few hours after shot time on occasion.

It's good to ask questions and rule things out, but yeah, the answer is patience ;)

Lando demando likes this.
  7. Lando demando

Im seriously considering taping a sticky note with the word patience to my reading glasses! ;)

8. Stephanie & Max

Stephanie & Max Member

I just threw a pen away a few days ago that I probably could have used another week or so. I think I need a patience sign too.

9. Lando demando

:)

10. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

I am new to using a pen rather than a vial since starting Semglee, a glargine insulin bio-equivalent to Lantus. And I am happy to say I really prefer it over the vial. Mine only lasted about 30 days given Bama's higher dosages but I am looking forward to the time when he earns enough reductions that I can use a single pen for several months.

11. Lando demando

Thanks for the extra info on vials! Well wishes to Bama!

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) likes this.