Lantus price

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mia'smom, Apr 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mia'smom

Mia'smom New Member

Hi, I'm a new Diabetic Cat mom and not sure where is the best place to buy Lantus. I am on a low budget and just don't know where to go. Thanks so much for your help!

2. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Welcome to LantusLand!

There are number of options, so your best bet is to call around to your local pharmacies to see how much they charge. I found pretty wide price ranges, and finally settled on the local Target pharmacy. In the long run, the Solostar pens are the most cost effective approach, but they cost more up front - although some pharmacies (like my local Target) will sell the pens individually (this is how I buy my Lantus. One pen costs me $45, and it lasts almost 2 months). When we buy the pens, we use them the same way as the vial, using a syringe to draw the insulin from the pen; you don't use the needles that normally come with the pen.

Likewise, I also found that my local Target had the best price on the Lantus vial.

The "expiration date" on an open vial or pen is 28 days from initial use. However, when treated carefully (stored in the fridge, not shaken or rolled, no air or Lantus injected back in), it can last considerably longer than that. Some people here get as much as 3 or 4 months out of a vial before it starts petering out.

Again, welcome, and feel free to ask any questions you need answered!

Amy

Cherish Gallagher likes this.
  3. Cini Mini's Mom

Cini Mini's Mom Well-Known Member

I take the same approach Amy has below and use the Solostar pen now. Here in Arizona I get it from my local Veterinary compounding pharmacy (single cartridge) and it runs $65.

I used to use the vial and the last time I got one it was from Wal-Mart and it was the least expensive in this area for $108.

4. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

Greetings! Amy has already given you great info! I'll just add that I too use the pens and get mine individually from Costco. While it doesn't save me any money, it does mean paying $40 at a time instead of $200+, with no worries if something should happen to my fridge. My pens last right around 60 days with careful handling (making the cost around $20/mo). I keep the pen upright in a coffee mug in the back of the fridge (insulin end of the pen down) to help keep it in a stable, cold environment even with the door opening/closing. When I take the pen out, I keep my hands away from the insulin end of the pen so as to not warm it with my hand. My goal is always to have the pen back in the fridge in under 2 minutes and to keep the insulin's exposure to light under 30 seconds if possible. exposure to light and bringing to room temp are the two things that really breakdown insulin and shorten the life of your pen. Minimizing those will maximize pen life.

Another source for individual pens is the outpatient pharmacy of a hospital. They often have to give out single pens, so they have incomplete boxes anyway.

One thing to note... state laws vary on the length a prescription can stay open. In Missouri, if you don't use your veterinary refills within 6 months, they expire and you need a new script. I didn't realize this (thought it was a year) and with other vet issues, ended up delaying getting a pen by a few days when I really needed one. Many states do allow unlimited refills with a specific code, so you may not have that problem.

There are lots of good tips out there for getting the best deal on other supplies (food, treats, syringes, testing supplies, etc.), so let us know if you need more info!

5. arozeboom

arozeboom Well-Known Member

Christie - I'm glad I read your post. I didn't know about the vet refills in MO. Its good to kno
    Thanks!

6. Jason & Belle (GA)

Jason & Belle (GA) Member

If you want to buy locally(Canada can be cheaper, but not ideal if you need the insulin now)), the most cost effective way to buy Lantus is with the Solostar pens. If you could find a local store that would sell you only one pen, that may be an ideal way to start since the pens typically come in 5 packs. The 5 packs are very cost effective, but if you are lucky enough to get Mia into remission quickly, you'd have a lot of extra insulin left over. When I bought a 5 pack, it cost $180 or so, but I ended up only using one of the pens before my Gracie went into(and continues to be(crossed fingers)) remission. I donated the additional 4 pens after holding on to them for a year just in case Gracie relapsed.

The reason the pens are more cost effective is the shelf life of opened Lantus. As Amy mentioned, it's 28 days after opening. You can stretch the vials, but by the time you realize it's not working right anymore, you've upset your cats cycles. I was never comfortable going more than 45 days or so. Even though the pens are twice the price, depending on dosage, you should actually use every drop of the pens instead of throwing away half the vial.

Walmart was the cheapest for me, and I used the Lantus $25 coupon for the pens http://www.lantus.com/solostar-insulin-pen/solostar-coupon.aspx . I think it was $180 after coupon. I know that seems like a lot, but in some cases you may be able to get 8 months or more out of the 5 pens, and that makes it much more reasonable.

Good luck!

Jason

7. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

i used that lantus coupon on my first single pen - which meant it was $18. i buy mine at a Sav-On chain pharmacy for $43 per pen. for the average newly-diagnosed cat that could last a long as was needed.

at the top of this section of the TR forum page, there are a lot of yellow-starred "stickies" with information that you'll likely find very helpful, including one on how to take care of your insulin to make it last. people have reported their insulin lasting as much as 6 months if it's cared for correctly. you'll also notice the instructions here are to store the pen in the fridge, which is different than the manufacturer suggests because they expect you to be using the pen-shooting mechanism, not syringes. the instructions here are appropriate for our uses with cats, so where there is a conflict with the manufacturer's directions, go with the info here.

it's too much to absorb all at once, but you can ask questions - we've all been in your shoes and people will help you. i'd encourage you to post often/daily and we can help you learn what you need to know to help your cat as quickly as possible.

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Remember to ask the chain pharmacies about their prescription "clubs." That may also help you to save a few dollars. Of the chain pharmacies, I think someone mentioned a while ago that Rite Aid had the best prices on Lantus.

I'd also second the idea that if you want to buy single pens, a hospital outpatient pharmacy may be a good option.

9. arozeboom

I have a regular vial, not pens. At the time I didn't know any better. At Walgreens I paid $133 but that might have included the prescription savings card enrollment price.

Do the big chain stores (Walgreens, CVS, Target, Walmart, etc) not have a search feature on their websites so you can price drugs or am I missing the obvious?

10. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

It really can vary based on where you live. Here I will pay $220 for a box of pens and $120-$130 for a vial. Finding pens sold singularly is rare. We've found the vial to be the most cost effective for us.

11. Amy&TrixieCat

Yep, it definitely varies from store to store, even amongst the big chains. My Target will sell me the pens individually, but I know there are other people who have asked at their Target with no luck.

FYI, it is more cost effective to buy the pens as a set, but I always buy them indivdually even though they cost a bit more, just because it's less of a shock to the bank account.

12. arozeboom

The pens appeal to me because right now, if I drop the vial, I have to go buy a new one whereas I would have extra pens if I got the set. But the pens seem like they're pretty delicate in general.

13. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

the pens are no more delicate than the vials, amy. in fact, if you were to drop a pen, it's surrounded by plastic and likely wouldn't break.

14. arozeboom

Logically, I know that. But I've never been good with logic. :lol:

15. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

I called around here and Costco had the best price. in fact, the pharmacist at Target even told me I would get the best price at Costco since we had no insurance plan. I can't find the pens individually anywhere. Bes sure to get the Rx written for the pens if that is what you want. If it is written for the vial that is all you can get. Also remember when you get the pens you are getting a total of 15ml, not just 10 like in the vial.

16. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

17. Natalia & Enana

Natalia & Enana Well-Known Member

18. Noreen&DC&Frisky

Noreen&DC&Frisky Well-Known Member

I'm in Canada and I purchase my pen cartridges from Costco.
    The cost is $82 for a box of 5 cartridges.

19. Mia'smom

Mia'smom New Member

Thank you all for the great suggestions for Lantus prices! I called my local Target and they sold me the Lantus pen for $47.00 plus they gave me the $25.00 off with the coupon the pharmacist printed for me!!! I am much more comfortable about giving her the insulin now. Just one poke thru (but I caught it before I pushed in the insulin!!) :) I did stick my finger once (hope I don't start meowing!) Mia is so much better. I took her to the vet for a re-check on her surgery (she had a cyst removed) and she checked her blood sugar and she went from 600 to 87! Not bad. She is a new kitty now, much more energy!! Thanks again! :RAHCAT

20. arozeboom

Not bad!? That's fantastic!

21. Amy&TrixieCat

That's great news...thanks for the update!

Do you home test? That is quite a difference in BG, so home testing would help you make sure she stays in those safe, healthy numbers.

22. lunasmomma1

lunasmomma1 New Member

This is great information! My kitty is newly diagnosed and I'm thinking about using the pen. Does anyone have info on how you use a syringe with the pen instead of the needles that come with it? Is that something a pharmacist can show to me? Any info would be much appreciated! Also, what's the best way to store the pen? Thank you!

23. Ann & Tess GA

24. Amy&TrixieCat

Hi lunasmomma1 - welcome to LantusLand!

When we use the pens, we draw the insulin with a syringe, just as you would from a vial. You don't want to use the needles that come with the pen - they don't work well for kitty dosing. I don't have the link handy, but I believe fellow FDMB member Julie (and Punkin) did a video on how to use the pen...I'll PM her and send her this way.

You want to store the pen in your fridge - preferably in a "temperature stable" portion. For example, the door has too much variation in temperature. We store ours in one of the veggie bins (and we actually don't use the bin for anything other than the lone insulin pen.)

Keep asking questions...everyone here is one big family and more than willing to help you adjust to having a SugarKitty!

Amy

ETA...simul-writing with John...looks like he beat me to the "draw", so to speak :lol: !

25. clramey

clramey New Member

For those of you who have successfully used the Lantus savings card (http://www.lantus.com/sign-up/offers.aspx), can you tell me how you signed up? Did you use your own name or your pets? Does it matter? I have been having issues trying to sign up for it...I used my pet's name because the prescription is in her name, but my address and DOB and it tells me information is invalid at the end of the process. I would like to try using the pens, that way in case I accidentally leave it out of the fridge, I don't have to throw away a whole vial. Right now the best price I am finding locally on the pens is $267 for 5 (at CVS pharmacy using a discount drug card they have provided via their Key Ring iPhone app. Would love to bring that down if I can! Thanks!

26. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

You have your vet put your pet's name on the RX. When you take it to the pharmacy (Target accepts the coupon for pets) you fill out the information and you use your name. Also have your vet state the pens may be dispensed one at a time.

27. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

If you're using the card from the manufacturer, you can use your cat's name. Just make sure the date of birth is for someone who is over 18yo. Indicate that you do not have insurance. And, don't say it's for a cat!

28. cjleo

cjleo Member

Hi there,

If you live in Massachusetts, the Lantus coupon is not valid. I don't know why, but that is the case.

Claudia

29. HeidiBroward20

HeidiBroward20 Member

My 24 pound American Shorthair was diagnosed with diabetes yesterday. I bought the SoloStar Pen from the pharmacy. 1ml of the pen dispenses 100 IUs human insulin. I tested this and it was only 4 teeny tiny uneven drops. There is no setting for .5mls. As I understand it, 100IUs (1ml shot in the SoloStar Pen) is equal to 2.5 Units of the 40IUs dose a cat should get. So if I am supposed to give Black Bear 1 U twice a day, is that 1 U in Human dosage or the 40U dosage? It is pretty much impossible to inject him with 1 or 2 accurate drops consistantly when dispensing from the pen as I can't see what is going into him. As I live in Southern Ecuador, getting a syringe that reads for pets is going to be next to impossible. Do you think 1ml twice a day dispensed like it was me will be too much then? Should I squeeze out the drops of a 1ml dispensation on to a plate and just wing it with trying to pick up 1/2 in a syringe? It is such a small amount that I cannot then de-air the syringe and have even enough to bother with left. The vet where I live looks at me like I have three heads and doesn't really know anything about this. The next nearest vet is many miles away in a larger town. Before I travel all that way just thought I'd ask here.

30. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

You can use normal insulin syringes to remove insulin from the Lantus pen. See photo:

Attached Files:

31. HeidiBroward20

HeidiBroward20 Member

Thanks for the response. I must really be brain dead... I did get an insulin syringe from the pharmacy.. it can draw up to 1ml=100U of insulin. So if I draw up to 1/2 - that is 50u, it is a TON more than just one ml on the pen itself. I am totally confused.

32. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

How many units are you giving? If 1/2 a unit it is in between the 0 line and the first tiny line. If 1 unit it us the first line after the top 0 lines. It is a very tiny amount, just drops. What you ate describing sounds like 50 units. That might be 50 times the dose you need.

33. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

34. Ann & Tess GA

Lantus is U100 insulin so you use U100 syringes. The syringe package should have markings telling you if you have U100 or U 40 syringes. At least here in the US U100 syringes have orange caps and u40 have red caps. Our syringes even have it printed right on the syringe barrel.

You are drawing up units of Insulin not ml. Insulin syringes are marked in units not ml. Are you sure you have insulin syringes? If the cap is not orange or red you probably have syringes marked in ml not in insulin units. Your lantus pen is also calibrated for units not for ml. There are 100 units of insulin in 1cc of U100 insulin. Most cats start out w/ 1 unit of insulin.

Depending on the size of the syringe (they come in 1cc, 1/2 cc and 3/10 cc barrel sizes) the syringe will hold 100units, 50 units or 30 units. The markings will be different on each size. For example the markings for a 1cc syringe are 2 units while the markings for a 3/10cc syringe are 1 unit and some even have half unit markings. It is important to know just what size syringe you have. Could you take a picture of the syringe and post it?

35. HeidiBroward20

HeidiBroward20 Member

You all truly ROCK. I am moved to tears with gratefulness for all your help as I don't want to KILL my beloved Black Bear! I do have an insulin syringe. It has an orange cap. It says it can max draw 100 Units/1ml of insulin. It has increments of numbers of 10, 20, etc. up to 100(Units of Insulin). Between 0 and 10 it is lined by 2 unit increments. Therefore, as I understand you all saying, I draw only 1/2 way between the 0 to 2 line to get 1 Unit. Wow that is a small amount. I think I will draw up to the 2 line, and then waste some to get 1/2 of that for awhile until I get it better. I also will read some more on method of application before I actually begin the treatments. Tomorrow I go 50 kilometers away to get the "Home Glucose Test Kit" as they don't have any in the pharmacies in my town. THANK YOU FROM THE CORE OF MY HEART!

36. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Yes, you are understanding it now. It is a very tiny amount and we only go up if needed in .25 increments. So if you can get some syringes with 1/2 unit markings that would be awesome. If not, don't worry. What brand syringes do you have? Even unit markings would be better than yours. I'm so glad you posted about the difference between the pen and the syringes. Good catch. When in doubt, always ask. Someone will get back to you.

Elise

37. Ann & Tess GA

I'm glad you got things straightened out! :D :D Most of us do draw extra and shoot out the extra to "dial in" an exact dose. Don't shoot the extra back into the pen. The syringes have a luvricant inside and it can contaminate you insulin. I put a small piece of tissue over the needle to catch the excess. That way I don't get insulin on Tess fur and if I smell insulin after the shot I know it didn't all get in. Practice w/ colored water before you try a real shot w/ insulin. When trying to get to an exact dose twist the plunger rather than pushing, you have a lot more control.

If you can find the 1/2 cc or 3/10 cc syringes it will help to see the markings. They have narrower barrels so the marks are spaced further apart. Even so I use a magnifying visor to see the markings more clearly and many of us use digital calipers for those hard to determine intermediate doses.

You don't need to get a special animal blood glucose meter. Nearly all of us use human calibrated meters and the strips are much cheaper! You will find that testing strips are one of the bigger expenses of FD. Online is nearly always cheaper than retail and may be easier for you to get, but I doubt if most of our US sources can ship to Ecuador. Can you order from Amazon there?

One last thing, you have posted in a really old thread. Go to the Lantus Form page and clic on "New topic". More people will realize that we have a new member and come to help.

38. Virgil

Virgil New Member

I have, vfsmt@yahoo.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.