Left Prozinc out: uh-oh?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Steph, Jul 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steph

Steph Member

I left it out for 8 hours. Stubbie was at 328 this morning pre-shot and at 5.5 hours, he is at 325. He should be down at low 200s.

I think it's a goner, yes?

Thankfully, it's not a full bottle.

2. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

Mm i'm from the netherlands and my vet told me that the prozinc bottles are not a problem if you leave it out because you forgot it.
    I don't know for sure if the dutch one is different from the US one.....

3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Unless it was very hot in the house, I'd think it should be okay. If you start to see floaties, then it's not good.

4. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

We've all left it out - I once left it out overnight in a house over 80 degrees and it was fine
    Wouldn't worry about it

5. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yep, just check for the floaties. I've left it out all day before....I wouldn't worry about it.

6. AbyResq

AbyResq Member

I've done it too (multiple times for 12 hours). Insulin was still fine.

7. Steph

Steph Member

It's not working any longer, ladies. So: Is that I can't use it after a certain time? I must throw it away? Yikes! I like this insulin because Lantus is so hard to manage.
    I can't control his numbers on Lantus. This is a conundrum at $135 a bottle!

8. Sue and Oliver (GA)

That would really be unusual. Could there be any thing else going on? Infection? Bad teeth?

You can get BCP PZI for less. It is a compounded form of PZI And works like ProZinc. Your vet orders it from the compounding pharmacy. (http://bcpvetpharm.com/bcp-pzi-bovine-insulin/ ) I think it is quite a bit cheaper than ProZinc.

9. AbyResq

AbyResq Member

Are Stubbie's readings high all of a sudden? Maybe it was too hot in your house :(

I've left mine out accidentally for a full cycle more than once. Went to the refrigerator to grab it and gasped realizing I'd never put it away. My insulin never lost effectiveness. The first time it I happened, I Googled and found this helpful: http://www.justanswer.com/cat-health/8bh1u-left-cat-s-pro-zinc-insulin-counter-day.html

Could he be bouncing and you think it's the insulin not working?

10. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Good question, Kristen. Stephanie, Do you have some recent numbers in your spreadsheet? I only see through April 2015. Am I missing the recent one?

11. Los Gatos

Los Gatos Member

Left mine out multiple times over the past two years, no change in the numbers because of it. One of my vets is a diabetic and I was told he leaves his out. Something else is changing the numbers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.