Leo - 1/15 - AMPS - 428 +2 427

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Javier and Leo, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Javier and Leo

Javier and Leo Member

Last post: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/1-13-leo-amps-349-5-286-pmps-319.241473/#post-2719137

Leo had a flat curve in the high range yesterday. Just a day before he had a bounce at night :( How do you explain that we went so low for the PM cycle on 1/3, but has been staying high since then?

1/11 and 1/12 his curve was looking really good, now for the last two days we can't seem to get him in the 100-300 range. We haven't changed the 0.5U dose yet.

Any advice on how to manage this new higher curve is appreciated. The spreadsheet is updated.

Thank you!

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I see that two nights ago you got a "Lo" reading. That means that this dose is too high for Leo and you should reduce his insulin dose to 0.25 units. We determine how to change the dose based on how low the dose takes the cat. Bounces can last up to six cycles after the low numbers, so he's still bouncing.

Do you have a blood sugar meter that you can test by hand? I've read that the Libre can test a little low at the low end, so it would have been good to be able to test manually to verify if Leo really was that low.

As I said before, it'll really help us help you better if you can take a look at the two dosing methods we use here, Tight Regulation protocol and the Start Lo Go Slow method, and decide which one you'd like to follow.

Is he only eating A/D food? Is there a reason he's eating it? It's 12% carbs and a little higher carbs than is good for diabetics. Good to have around as medium carb food if he needs a little boost, but not as a regular food unless there is a medical reason he's getting it.

3. Javier and Leo

Javier and Leo Member

He's eating Ziwi Peak Mackerel and Lamb now. Just updated the signature. He was eating Hills A/D when he had the tube, but he's now without it, and has been eating perfectly on his own for a week.

We purchased another glucometer with test strips to compare, also knowing that the Freestyle Libre won't be forever.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Next time you see lower numbers on the Libre, try to test yourself to verify how low he really is. I'd still reduce his dose down to 0.25 units.

Good to know he's on a different food now. This means you can use either the TR protocol or SLGS for dosing. The decision is up to you and what suits you best.