Loki 1/10/10 AMPS~147, +8.5~75 Dose Question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kacy and Loki, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kacy and Loki

Kacy and Loki Member

Loki has had an exciting day today.

AMPS~147
    +2~64
    +3~58 (fed a small spoonful of h.c.)
    +4~85~ (fed a tiny forkful of h.c. with his lunch)
    +5~92
    +6~86
    +8.5~75

Nice numbers, but that 58 concerns me. I was worried that he would drop lower without a bit of h.c. Depending on his PMPS, should we consider decreasing his dose just a bit?

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You need to take a look at the Tilly Protocol again. Decreases are earned when numbers drop below 50 in a newly diagnosed cat. Loki may have wanted to drop below 50 today. It probably would have been best to have fed him a bit of LC, rather than HC and monitor much the way you did and see if he started to surf. I know it's really hard to think that Loki's numbers will drop too low. But you can see that you got a 30 point increase with just a bit of HC. Once you get to a number in the 40s, it's very easy to steer those numbers with food.

Unless one of the more experienced peeps suggests otherwise, I think you should stick with the 1.5u.

3. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

do you work tomorrow during the day? And how many hours til your shot is due tonight?

4. Kacy and Loki

Kacy and Loki Member

Loki's shot is in two hours, and I don't have to work in the morning. Thanks for the info.

5. Libby and Lucy

can you get a +10 or +11 to get an idea of where he might be for PMPS?

Technically he didn't earn the reduction (based on the protocol) because he didn't go below 50. He's actually surfing in a really nice range today but I'm curious where he might be at PMPS. Your comfort and availability to monitor are also a big part of the equation, of course.

6. Kacy and Loki

Kacy and Loki Member

7. Libby and Lucy

let me lay out my thoughts about tonight/tomorrow's dose for you:

* According to the protocol, dose reductions are earned by going below 50.

* Loki did not go below 50, but he DID hit high 50's pretty early in the cycle.

* You HC'd the 58 so he did not drop further, but chances are he would have gone below 50 if he had been fed regular food.

* Loki seems to be cruising in for a lower preshot, so even though he didn't earn the reduction this morning, he might be planning to tonight.

So technically Loki has not earned a reduction, but if you wanted to take one you would have plenty of evidence to support that. Especially if you have to go to work or won't be able to monitor a lot tomorrow (or tonight for that matter), a reduction would be a good idea. Being a working type bean myself, I would probably lean that direction. Safety first. What do you think?

8. Kacy and Loki

Kacy and Loki Member

Well, PMPS is 46. I think the question of a decrease is answered. lol. Now I suppose my question is shoot right away or wait? I will be up until at least Loki's +3 to monitor. *Also, I should mention, Loki is very chipper, and has no symptoms of hypo.

9. Libby and Lucy

lol, I could have saved myself a lot of typing!

That's a pretty big drop in an hour, I would stall before shooting. Normally we don't feed when we're stalling, but I like to feed the 40's so I would give a couple tsp of low carb food to get him out of the 40's. Then retest in 30 minutes to see if he is shootable.

10. Kacy and Loki

Kacy and Loki Member

Thank you so much for responding so quickly. Loki is eating enthusiastically and is bouncing off the walls. He seems to do so when he gets down in the 40's and 50's. I will retest in 30 minutes and go from there.

11. Kacy and Loki

Kacy and Loki Member

Tested 30 minutes later~111. If you think it is a wise course to take, I'm going to go ahead and shoot, but reduce to 1.25.

12. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

Kacy, I think you are fine to shoot now as long as you can get a test or two in tonight. I'll be up with you if you need any help. Please just mark the time delay in your SS. Congrats on the reduction!

13. Kacy and Loki

Kacy and Loki Member

Thank You! I will be sure to notate it on Loki's SS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.