Long term strategy & switch

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Spacey & Ella, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

Hallo,

My cat Spacey is not very easy to regulate on caninsulin and therefore I'm wondering whether to push the vet to change it to Lantus/Levemir.
    On the other hand: there is still an infection in her mouth.

So:
    1) When is the right time to switch to another type of insulin? Before or after her tooth is removed (Jan, 13th)?
    2) Do I have to pick a time when I'm able to home test a lot? (I work 4 day's a week, but I have a week vacation after Spacey's operation on her tooth f.i.)
    3) How should I prepare? What to read besides the Lantus board??
    4) Or shouldn't I switch at all and see how it goes in the month or so after the operation?

Every idea is greatly appreciated.

2. Sherri & Stash (GA)

Sherri & Stash (GA) Member

1) When is the right time to switch to another type of insulin? Before or after her tooth is removed (Jan, 13th)?

I'm not comfortable answering this one

2) Do I have to pick a time when I'm able to home test a lot? (I work 4 day's a week, but I have a week vacation after Spacey's operation on her tooth f.i.)

We switched from Vetsulin to Lantus on November 19. Morning shot was Vetsulin; evening shot Lantus. With Lantus/Levemir it is important to realize you are dosing based upon Nadir, not upon preshot values. So the more opportunity you have to get spot checks, the more quickly you will know how kitty is reacting to the new insulin.

Read, read, read. Read everything you can get your hands on.

4) Or shouldn't I switch at all and see how it goes in the month or so after the operation?

With the manufacturer warning on Vetsulin/Caninsulin, I would make the switch. And the sooner the better.

3. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

and to add more to your question. I suspect you will not need to be on insulin for long judging by the way the levels lowered themselves without insulin yesterday nd by the dramatically higher levels today with that 0.5.

I responded on your health post as well and really encourage a lower dose than 0.5, I know it is hard to measure.
    I have linked all the lantus and levemir info here.....
    LANTUS & LEVEMIR: More Information

So:
    I personally would wait now until after when you can be home to monitor through the changes, and then go for it if insulin is still needed.

I would try to be close for the first few days, if possible.

Read the stickies, read other lantus and lev people's profiles ask questions of others who have made the switch from N to lantus and lev...
    Perhaps start a thread on the lantus ISG asking for feedback :)

I would have everything ion place and ask this question on the lantus forum as well..

personally, with all the changes you are seeing and a sputtering pancreas, I would want to be close for the first couple of days as I mentioned.

You are doing great...hang in there..the levels will drop, and then they rise again, less insulin is more for you now to avoid steep drops and sharp rises. :)

Does that make sense?

4. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

Thanks guy's, girl's for your response.

I posted also on Lantus and got a lot of idea's already. They advise me to wait till after the dental and I agree. For the moment I have enough insulin for Spacey and hope that it will work out for her until after the dental.
    But I really do not have to forget to give my vet the info on the recall of the vetsulin!
    Thanks for reminding me!

I've put some extra markings on the syringes today. Now I can measure less than 0.5!
    Gave her around 0.25 this evening.
    Hope that 'll work for her. :)

5. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Looking forward to seeing the results. Please do keep us posted.
    Kimmee

6. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

I think I screwed things up for her. 0.25 is too low. Her numbers are up and high again.
    Her curve is a gentle smile though. At least something. But really...

I think I'm going back to a skinny 0.5.

What do you think???

All and all she is fine though. Walking around, drinking, eating, talking. So, that's all good.

7. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Good plan. The levels showed you a little more is needed but not much more :)

Glad to hear she is happy and showing you that she is doing well overall. Watching their behaviour along with the testing is so important. You can tell when something is up with these babies :)

Give her some scritches for me.
    Kimmee

8. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi Spacey

Looks like you have everything pretty much covered.
    Hope Ellas dental goes well.

We switched caninsulin to Levemir, such a positive change in Luks numbers, I'm glad we did. :smile:

9. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

Sorry... Ella is the two-legged one. And Spacey the one with paws. :smile:

10. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

I can highly recommend levemir - and suggest you go to the Levemir ISG and read the two stickies there as well. They contain more information about lev than is on the Lantus ISG.

I also would say to switch as soon as possible, maybe when you will be home for a few days. I think I did it on a Friday evening. I waited to switch Beau last year after deciding to do it I was waiting for money to buy insulin and a lot of other stupid reasons. Now, I wish I had just done it. And after the warnings about caninsulin/vetsulin I would be in a bigger hurry to just do it.

11. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

Just want to pipe in here and say that I also dragged my feet when it came to switching Spot's insulin. For seven long months I battled with those nasty high numbers he got on N. Eventually I made my mind up to switch and had to decide on Lev or Lantus. Both are really good insulins, and yes, you gotta remember that you are shooting nadar, not preshots. That took some time for me to get used to doing.
    After doing alot of research and speaking to my vet, who, by the way, had never heard of using either insulins on cats, I decided I wanted to try the Lev and I'm so glad that I made that decision and am kicking myself in the arse for not making it sooner. You will be happy with the results you see, believe me.
    Just make sure you read, read, read, research, and ask questions.
    Good luck with your decision!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.