Looking for Guidance & Working Through All the Information!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Kathryne Johnson, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Kathryne Johnson

Kathryne Johnson New Member

Hello all!
    I’m still working through the plethora of amazing information, but wanted to jump in to get a few questions out of my mind and stop jumping to Google searches! I’ve got a list of “to-do” items I’m going to tackle (such as signature, spreadsheet, etc.), but hopefully I can get some guidance/thoughts in the meantime with a few things to help my girl Mina.

I’ve been going through a lot of posts, and I see a lot about the blood glucose levels being really low and the concern for hypoglycemia. But I’m struggling with finding information on what happens if the at home testing keeps popping up with high levels (consistently hovering in the 375-425 range) on a wet/raw diet (absolutely ZERO dry food in our household), fed a big meal in AM, small meal in afternoon and another large meal in PM.
    The vet keeps saying to up the insulin, and recommends upping 1u every 7-10 days if we aren’t seeing a response. Mina is currently at 4units of ProZinc 2x daily, and at home testing is done before feeding. We started on Glargine when she was diagnosed back in 04/2022, at .5units and recently made the switch to ProZinc since her levels would not drop under 300 ever. ProZinc started at 2units, about a month ago and now we’re up to 4units.
    Mina eats like a champ, no issues with tummy troubles, vomitting, lethargy, etc. The only other current concern are small lesions/sores on her coat that have been popping up randomly that she overly grooms. This could be a response to a recent flea issue we had that were aggressively treating (welcome to the southern US where fleas have mutated and darn near resistant to everything), and did a round of antibiotics to be safe and have her a cone (☹️) currently to try to help heal them.

Just looking for some possible causing or if I’m doing something wrong that is hindering her ability to stabilize/regulate.
    Will be working on my signature today and tackling a spreadsheet for additional insight!

2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome. We will try to help you here. If you can get your spreadsheet going that will help us a lot! It's a shame that you switched from the Glargine -- some cats to require a lot of insulin. My boy had acromegaly and was up to over 40 units at one point -- but lets pray this is not the case with your cat. We did use ProZinc also, but got zero response so I switched to Lantus and finally to Levemir -- but we didn't know about the acromegaly when we were using ProZinc so that was really the reason why he was "high and flat" all the time (especially in 2020 before we had the acro diagnosed.)

Have all of your increases been in one unit increments? We don't do such large increases all at one time here. It is possible to just kind of blow past the best dose, but we should know more if you can get your spreadsheet filled in as much as possible (if you have historical data of his BG.)