Looking for Las Vegas Vet recommendation

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Vinnie Van Gogh's Mom, Apr 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinnie Van Gogh's Mom

Vinnie Van Gogh's Mom Member

I have been to two different vets here and they both almost seem bothered that I am home testing and want to stay on top of his values and dosing etc. Does anyone have recommendations for veterinarians in this area who are happy to work with clients who want to be proactive and home test? (or at least not bothered by it...)

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

3. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

5. Vinnie Van Gogh's Mom

Thank you so much! I will check out the facebook group. Yeah, I really liked my original vet up until now so I may end up going back to them and doing the smile and nod if I don't find anything better...

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

That's what I did with vet #5 (was running out of choices! This one was over an hour away as it was)

I'd just start the appointment by saying "She's on X units of insulin and her BG runs between Y and Z but today we're here for (fill in the blank)" and that usually was the end of the discussion about diabetes, but if she did still just have to give me some advice (usually about switching to a "prescription" food), I'd smile, nod my head and say "I'll think about that"....and I came right back here and did what I know worked.

Vinnie Van Gogh's Mom likes this.
  7. Noah’s Mommy

Noah’s Mommy New Member

I live in Las Vegas and I love my vet. I use Town Center Animal Hospital and Dr McDonagh is my vet. She is awesome.

8. Vinnie Van Gogh's Mom

Thank you for the recommendation! Just to double-check, she is willing to work with you on coming up with a plan (good with you home testing the glucose and modifying the doses according to the FDMB guidelines etc)?

9. Noah’s Mommy

Noah’s Mommy New Member

She is totally ok with home testing. I showed her my spreadsheet and she saw that I was adjusting the dose myself. She tells me what to do concerning his numbers and dose but that's because it's her job. I think a lot of people just follow the FDMB and basically just let the vet tell them what to do and that's it. I've never had the chance to really talk about the board in any detail to her but she has told me that I really know my stuff. All I know is that I really like her and I use the vet only when necessary. Noah just came out of remission and it was time for blood work anyway so I took him to see how everything looked. I hope this helps.

10. Vinnie Van Gogh's Mom

Awesome, yes it is very helpful and they are not too far from me so I really appreciate the recommendation!

Noah’s Mommy likes this.
  11. Noah’s Mommy

Noah’s Mommy New Member

That's awesome and you're very welcome. Again, her name is Dr. Nicole McDonagh. You can tell her I sent you! :)

12. Vinnie Van Gogh's Mom

Will do! Should I just say Noah's mommy sent me?

Noah’s Mommy likes this.
  13. Noah’s Mommy

Noah’s Mommy New Member

Yes.... :cat:

14. Vinnie Van Gogh's Mom

FYI I have an appointment with Dr. McDonagh on Sunday :) It's not for my sugar cat, but for one of the other kitties who is due for an annual exam. :)

15. Noah’s Mommy

Noah’s Mommy New Member

That’s great! I hope you love her as much as I do. Let me know how it goes! Good luck! :)

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  16. Noah’s Mommy

Noah’s Mommy New Member

How did your visit go on Sunday? I have been thinking of you. :)

17. Vinnie Van Gogh's Mom

Hi, I've been meaning to drop you a note. Dr. McDonagh was great. The kitty I brought in wasn't the diabetic but in addition to doing the wellness check on the other one, we talked about Vinnie and she seems more knowledgeable and more open to client input than the others that I have been to so I will be bringing Vinnie in after I have more insulin data. Thank you again for the recommendation!

18. Noah’s Mommy

Noah’s Mommy New Member

Hi, I'm so happy to hear this! As you know we all have different personalities and I worried if you would love her as much as I do. I gave her a heads up via email that you were bringing in your non diabetic kitty to see her on Sunday. I have been with a couple other vets in that practice because my initial vet moved out of state (Noah loved him) before I met Dr. McDonagh. She truly loves what she does and wants the best for her fur babies! That's the only thing that matters to me.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.