Loose Lips: a bit of news and kitty travel

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by rhiannon and shadow (GA), Sep 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Today was our ABQ day so we went down and met my dd ( who is acting all like herself again :woot::woot::woot::woot:)
    We had a feast at red lobster and then we went to a place called the Escape Room where we did The Cabin.
    This is a place where you solve a mystery to get out of the room....
    you have clues ( much like the game clue) to various locks that hide more clues until you figure your way out.

We were among the 15% who actually solved it on the first try. :smuggrin:
    It was well done and lots of fun.
    these activities were all for me since tomorrow is number fifty three. :blackeye:

but my real news is my 24 yr old ds has landed a job. He hadn't left the nest yet. He's a late bloomer.
    So on tuesday I will be driving with him and his two cats to college station , Tx.
    It's a 13+ hour drive....

anyone have any good suggestions for the kitties .
    I have a wire kennel that will be in the back seat.... the vet has given me something to mildly sedate them just
    so they will settle down and sleep a good part of the trip....
    the vet doesn't think they will want to eat... but i figure they might in small bits.... I'll take some of the freeze dried treats and such.... don't think they will turn down a duck heart....even if they were sound asleep.

DH will drive with the trailer of his furniture on thursday so hopefully we will have his apartment all rented and able to unload the trailer on friday.
    Josh starts his new job on monday sept 19.... they gave him about 10 days to get there and moved....
    so we've been packing....
    DH will have to bring the dogs with him.... and then we hope to be home the following monday if not Sunday.
    So my nest is about to be officially empty.
    I think my blessing has been having ds all these years after my dd-not so dear 2 years ago....
    basically did her disappearing act with spite.....

I was not ready for an empty nest then....
    I'm still not thrilled.... but at least we are all getting along now and dd seeks us out often to go hiking with her and other things....
    DS is already feeling us out that we will come to him for Christmas if he can't go anywhere....
    that's how my kids should be....
    wanting to be together especially on holidays....

this house is about to feel really really big in another week.....
    and down to 2 cats and 2 dogs and 2 crazy beans....

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

So happy to hear things are better between you and DD.....I remember how torn up you were when she ran off.....Luckily, a few years of maturity seem to have helped (it usually does....I remember I didn't really appreciate my mom until I was in my mid-20's)

The Escape Room sounds like fun!! Good for your team for getting the clues solved so quickly!!

I know it'll be hard on you to send DS off into the world, but it's wonderful that he has a job, an apartment and loving parents to support him while he learns to spread his wings and fly on his own

And you may surprise yourself too...and find that 2 cats, 2 dogs and 2 crazy beans is "just right" for your home!!

3. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

So glad to hear the situation with your DD has improved and is back to normal! I know that has to be a great relief and pleasure for you. And it's great that your DS has a new job and an apartment, and Mom and Dad's help and support!

I think I would enjoy The Cabin, it sounds like fun and I love things like that...
    birthday-smiles-cat-kitten-550x320.jpg
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. meowsyko

meowsyko Member

Happy Birthday! :cat:

Ouu! cat travel! I actually know a bit about this!

I've traveled a lot with my kitty (not so much a kitty, she's 17), twice we've done 3 days at a time for moving provinces only stopping for a night in hotel (13 hours you might not need one, but if you do, book ahead it can be really hard to get a pet-friendly room last minute!)

Carsickness: My last move I gave her a bit of cerenia each morning for good measure to prevent any sickness. I use a medium dog kennel in the back seat, secured however I can.. and COVER it so that she can't see out. That also prevents any carsickness and travel anxiety, helps her just sleep the whole trip. First move I did with her I didn't cover her and learned my lesson 20 minutes in :rolleyes:. If kitties need to see you to stop screaming, at least have the sides covered so they only see directly in front, not the side windows.

Anxiety:
    I use Rescue Remedy, I put in her water but I learned here it works well being rubbed into her ears as well. Before that I had some generic anxiety liquid I got at a pet store to add to water, that might have also worked. You probably don't need any of that if you've got the 'good stuff' from the vet...
    covering the carrier helps with anxiety too, they don't see how fast or far you're going. I spray the carrier with Feliway... sometimes a clothing item that smells like you can help too. and a well-used cat blankie... and a few catnip toys of course :cat:. Our last move, since I had the cerenia in her so I knew she couldn't get sick, she spent a lot of time just laying in my lap, hiding her head in my arm. Seemed to help. I wasn't the one driving, though, and I only had one cat, and it's not technically safe with airbags and whatever. I also have the kennel positioned so I can stick my hand in there for comfort :D

litter box: I use a large plastic container, kind of like the under bed ones, with a lid, put on the seat beside the carrier and let her out to see if she needs it (or food or water) whenever we stopped for food or gas or anything, but she's never used it in the car... she waits until night time. OH! and pee pads! I cover the bottom of the carrier (and maybe around the car seat underneath) with dollar store puppy pee pads. You can use towels, but the pee pads from the dollar store absorb really well, just one is enough so it can be easily switched with a fresh one if needed.

Most of that stuff isn't necessary, especially since you leave tomorrow... I'd cover the carrier at least, though, it really helps.

Maybe get some ear plugs... if those drugs don't work on them ;). My old cat, Max, was quite skilled in telling me exactly how he felt about cars.

Good luck! :bighug:

5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday. How neat on the Escape Room. That sounds fun. I'm glad things are better with your DD. Congrats to your DS on getting a job. I hope things go smoothly with the move. Sending prayers.

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I was just thinking about your DD and wondered how she was doing. Thanks for the update.

You might want to drop @Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) a note about kitty travel. She's a pro.

Here are a couple of old posts on the topic:

7. Rachel & Chyna (GA)

Rachel & Chyna (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Rhiannon! The escape room sounds neat! I've always been interested in trying one. I'm not a traveller, so I have no advice on that but it looks like others have lots:). Congrats to your DS on the job. I'm glad your dd is doing better and seeking you out:smuggrin:. Hoping you do well with your empty nest. My mom thought she'd be lost when my sister moved out but it was ok! And...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! I hope you have a wonderful day! :):):)

8. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I just remembered I saved this from when Lisa used to travel with Leo.

Traveling with Diabetic Kitties

Before the first trip

Test out any new items such as kitty calming aids and harnesses before the actual trip so you know how Kitty will act, and adjust if necessary.

Harness and leash

• Let Kitty wander around the house and make size adjustments as needed. This will also allow Kitty to get used to this terrible horrid thing. Play with Kitty so fun is associated with the harness.

Pee pads

• Put one near the litter box so Kitty associates the appearance and smell with pees and poops. Scented and unscented are available. Unscented may be a better choice, especially if you use unscented litter at home.

Restraint system

• In some states, animals must be strapped into a carrier or wear a seat belt. If you plan to use a hard carrier (especially when traveling alone) strap the carrier to the seat with the belt by wrapping the belt around the front of the carrier so it acts like a “lap” band. Test this out first. If you’d like the carrier to sit flat on the seat, you may need to prop up the back end of the carrier with a towel. Turning the carrier to face you (or the driver) may help with anxiety.

Identification

• Consider highly having your cat micro-shipped before you go, especially for frequent travel or airline travel.
    • Put your cell phone number on Kitty’s tag, and note Kitty is insulin dependent if this is relevant. Consider adding more than 1 bell to Kitty’s collar. Cats hiding in unfamiliar places can be hard to find, and that extra tinkling can really help.

Vet services, emergency and otherwise

• Find and print out locations to the nearest vet and 24 hour emergency animal facilities in the areas you're traveling through and to. Program the numbers into your cell phone and into your GPS. In case of emergency, especially at night, these become vital if you’re stressed and don't know the area.

Kitty stress and anxiety

• Several options are available to help Kitty’s stress level during car rides, including medications and familiar smells. Some cats travel just fine after the first hour or so. Others will wail loudly, as if tortured, the entire trip.
    • Meds can reduce the anxiety of the trip. Homeopathic aids such as Rescue Remedy has been suggested by several people. It is placed on or in the cat. The human versions contain alcohol, a pet version is available without alcohol. It can be put in food, although several people report putting a dab on paws, ears, or tapped on the fur where it will be licked off. FemiAway and other hormone-based products are also available. These are applied in areas where kitty may be stressed, such as in the carrier. These are not made to be sprayed onto the cat.
    • Prescription sedatives should be considered with caution. Some airlines may refuse to ship a pet who has been sedated, especially if the pet will be shipped in the cargo cabin and not under the passenger’s seat.
    • Bring towels or blankets with familiar smells for Kitty, or a favorite sleeping bed.
    • Bring an extra towel or carrier blanket if Kitty decides to urf his last meal in the carrier.
    • Place a towel or light blanket over the carrier to block out light and sound on the sides, or all over. This may calm Kitty, especially during the start of the trip.
    • Changes in environment may help. Radio on, radio off, heat higher, heat lower, talking to Kitty, ignoring kitty.

Kitty car sickness and litter box issues

• Line the area around the litter box with pee pads or newspapers, and throw away the layers that get soiled as the accidents occur.
    • Place a pee pad inside the carrier.
    • Anti nausea meds are available, but try before traveling. For airline trips, a sedative may be useful if kitty is a bad (or unknown) traveler.

What to pack

• Small cooler for food and insulin.
    • Cat dishes, water bowl, spoon and fork.
    • Water
    • Food of all carb levels (high carb, medium carb, low carb). Keep close at hand.
    • Karo
    • Glucose meter and backup
    • Strips (many, especially if you are traveling to an area that may not stock “your” brand)
    • Insulin
    • Lancets
    • Syringes
    • Tissues/wipes for ear sticks
    • Ketone test strips
    • Treats for testing
    • Ear warming device. If you warm Kitty’s ear or paw pad, place the sock in ziplock and run it under hot water at the rest stop. If your car has heated seats, turn on the heater and sit on the sock. Natural hand warmers are an option to heat up the sock. These contain a mixture of iron powder, charcoal and other ingredients, and produce heat when exposed to air. (These are great for placing in gloves and boots for outdoor activities.)
    • Notebook and pen for recording glucose test values
    • Clean-up wipes and paper towels
    • Petzyme or similar urine/blood/vomit removal spray
    • Towels, blankets and beds with familiar smells
    • Meds (appetite stimulants, anti-nausea, calming, etc.
    • Toys
    • Garbage bags
    • Litter box and scoop (or disposable box)
    • Ziploc bags (open food cans, dirty utensils, temporary Sharps container, etc.) You can never have too many Ziplocs!
    • Cat carrier
    • Collar, harness and leash
    • Litter box and litter for destination
    • Most importantly, Kitty!

How to Pack

• Create a box or small milk crate that contains everything you might need in emergency and sort-of emergency situations. It should contain samples of all carb foods and Karo, spoon and fork, wipes, treats, garbage bags and paper towels. It should also contain your testing equipment and somewhere to toss the used strips and lancets.

During the trip

Harness and leash

• Kitty should be on a harness the entire trip, and perhaps on the leash whenever out of the carrier. Especially if you don’t know how well he will travel.

Rest stops

• Include frequent rest breaks and allow kitty to wander around in the car, use the litter box, and eat/drink. KEEP ALL WINDOWS COMPLETELY SHUT. Cats can pass through imaginably tight places. Especially freaked-out ones.

• Offer food, water and little box, although Kitty may not be interested. Praise for good litter box behavior but don’t punish for peeing outside the lines. It can be stressful enough for a poor kitty!

• Don’t leave kitty unattended to make your own litter box stop! Not only is it illegal in many places, it’s potentially deadly, even for just a few minutes. Plan your fluid intakes accordingly if you are traveling alone. Or, handicapped stalls are great for accommodating kitty carriers.

Environment

• Some Kitties love lounging the the sun, others prefer cooler “cave-like” conditions. Bring a towel or blanket large enough to cover the entire carrier to control the shade and temperature of the carrier. Even sun worshipper Kitties may get overheated trapped in a sunny car seat.

9. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday Rhiannon! What a great gift from your kids! A job for DS and a DD "back" to her old self. Have a very special day.

Carla's post gives tons of info. on traveling with a cat. Rusty is a professional traveler and rides "free" so I can't comment on all of what your DS might need to know. Most of all it is important to have a litterbox and access to it. We put ours in the back of the car (a Subaru Forester) and he goes back to use it when necessary. We carry paper towels to pick up poop and plastic "dog" bags for disposal. We carry food, but Rusty never wants to eat on a trip. Our longest trip is 6 hours (to NYC).

Good luck to your DS in his new job and his trip to his new city.

Hugs to you on your birthday and scritches to the kitties,

Ella & Rusty

10. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday, Rhiannon! :bighug: :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:
    I hope your kitty travels go well. I actually find that my cats and I grow a closer bond while traveling. They are in a strange place and look/come to me for comfort. I have always used Rescue Remedy (one drop orally, and one drop on the top of each front paw, and a few around the pee pads in the carrier). I have let them out of their carriers for potty breaks in the litter box on the floor behind the passenger seat, but they never go. I would keep a harness and leash on them at all times until you are securely inside at your destination and make sure they are micro-chipped.

11. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

that's a good list....

lots of things I might not have thought about and keeping them in a small box easily accessible.

Thank you for the birthday wishes!

This next week is going to be a LOT of WORK...hope it all just falls smoothly into place.....:rolleyes:
    guess the crying will be coming home to the empty house....

i know it's time for the squatter bird to fly....
    i cry at commercials after all....

12. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

What a great report about son and daughter! Good luck with the travel and Happy Birthday to you! And congrats for getting an empty nest!!!

13. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

Thank you for the birthday wishes....

14. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Hi Rhiannon.

I agree that you got some great gifts from your kids. I know you're sad about DS leaving, but at least it means less clutter!

I put pee pads on the floor of the car , under and around the litter box. My cats do use it, but they won't eat or drink.

Good luck with the move, and have a very happy birthday!

15. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

@Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

i am getting rid of quite a bit of kitchen stuff....
    will have a mostly empty bedroom ( and a hardwood floor to sand and distress)

course dh thinks he should get a room to do what he wants with it.....
    i'm not cooperating with that....
    he has his own shop....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.