loss of ability to jump?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MHHCoach, Dec 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MHHCoach

MHHCoach Member

Not sure if it's diabetes related or not since this is so new, but suddenly my cat, 15 yrs old, isn't able to jump up on the bed.

i mean he tries but something on the back end prevented even 1/4 of the jump.

thoughts?

2. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

That was the first sign of Diabetes for me and the huge increase of need to urinate issue. Of course age now does make a difference and why we have help steps up to the couch and bed for our furbabies..

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I'd suggest a vet check-up, Ashley. Diabetic neuropathy is one potential cause of hind leg weakness but there are other conditions that may cause problems with mobility (e.g. potassium imbalance, arthritis). By way of general info, neuropathy typically improves with good BG regulation and oral supplementation with the methylcobalamin form of B12 but I think it's safer not to assume that neuropathy is the issue here.

Mogs

MHHCoach and Peter (Peeka&Boo) like this.
  4. Brianne

Brianne New Member

When my cats back legs started to get weak, his potassium levels were dropping. It’s also a sign of neuropathy. Best to let the vet know

MHHCoach and Critter Mom like this.
  5. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

It could also be an injury or arthritis. I agree that you should let the vet check him out.

MHHCoach and Critter Mom like this.
  6. MHHCoach

MHHCoach Member

shouldn't be injury unless he jumped off of the bed wrong. he pretty much just eats, goes to the bathroom, hops on my bed. in the evening he'll come down the hall to visit for a couple of hours.
    I'll keep track of it. it was the first time, but it was pretty apparent and definitely debilitating for him. but within a couple of hours he could jump and hasn't had trouble since... maybe arthritis/cramp. maybe start him on the methyl b12, just in case since he is 15

7. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

I’d have his potassium levels checked because if it’s low, he’ll need a supplement to get his numbers back up.

MHHCoach likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.