Low Dose Syringes

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by ukchris, Jan 20, 2022.

1. ukchris

ukchris New Member

We have a cat on Lantus, we have been going through adjustments but his dose is usually 1.0, 1.5 or at one point 2.0 units. We have tried various u100 syringes with varying results.

My main question is whether there are options for syringes smaller than 3/10? I’d do prefer to be drawing a third or half a syringe instead of squinting at the tiny markings, I’ve searched and searched with no luck - is one unit in a thirty unit syringe really the only option?

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Most of us use 1/2 unit marked syringes. If you are in the UK as per your user name, the following post lists food and supplies for the UK, including where to get half unit marked syringes: Food, Insulin, and Other Supplies

3. ukchris

ukchris New Member

Sorry for the misleading name, while I’m from the UK I live in the US. Our 3/10 syringes are marked in half units , it’s just tough pulling so little.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

OK, you have more selection in the US. Pictures on how to draw smaller doses and names of 1/2 unit marked syringes in here:
    Insulin Care & Syringe Info: Proper Handling, Drawing, Fine Dosing Some brands of syringes have narrower barrels than others, making it slightly easier to find those in between doses. What brand are you using?

Some people end up using digital calipers to draw their dose, that is another option: Dosing with calipers

5. ukchris

ukchris New Member

We are using these :
    BH Supplies Insulin Syringes U-100 for 30 Units 31G .3ml/cc 5/16" (8mm)

they’re fine, generally, I just wish they were a smaller capacity to make the markings easier to line up to.

I haven’t heard of calipers, I’ll certainly take a look, thank you

6. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member