Low numbers dose change?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kathy & MiddieMittens, Oct 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy & MiddieMittens

Kathy & MiddieMittens Member

Hello there i just tested my kitty at 2 (+7) and got 38. And at 3 (+8) and got 60. My vet told me to adjust dose to 2.5 but i think its still to much. Do i lower it more. Thanks

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

3. Kathy & MiddieMittens

These numbers are the lowest ive ever seen! I know my vet says to decrease slowly just confused on how not to get another number in the 30s agian.

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Kathy, sorry no one has responded yet. I wish I could advise but I never used Prozinc and I am not experienced enough to advise on dosing.
    @Bron and Sheba (GA) would you have any suggestions for Kathy?

5. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Just having a look. BRB.

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You definitely need to reduce back down tonight

38 on any meter is too low

I don't know why your vet told you to go up to 2.5.....you hadn't given 2U but a couple of times.

One thing I want to mention....you say Mittens is "indoor/outdoor".....a cat that goes outdoors could be getting into stuff you don't know about that could cause her BG to be erratic. Can you keep her inside only? Or only go out on a leash so you can make sure of what she gets into?

7. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I see there have been a few times recently you have skipped the shot or reduced the dose to 2u.
    The dose definitely needs to be reduced and from what the spreadsheet shows, I would reduce to at least 2u and get more mid cycle tests to see how low the dose is dropping BG. Grabbing a couple of tests during the early part of the night cycle would also help fill in the picture.

Given the low of 38 today which can make kitty a little more insulin sensitive, do not give 2.5u again even if BG is up tonight at shot time.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  8. Kathy & MiddieMittens

No she cant be indoor only it would do more harm than good but im keeping her in tonight to monitor her. I just tested agian so my spreadsheet is updated. Im testing her every hour or so.

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I have not used Prozinc so will leave the dosing up to those who know Prozinc.
    However looking at the SS you definitely need to reduce the dose.
    Good catch!

Kathy & MiddieMittens likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.