Low or not?? 52 on Libre but 79 on ReliOn @ +4.5, 73 on ReliOn @ +5.5, 113 on ReliOn @ +6.25

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lauren and Loki, Jan 21, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lauren and Loki

Lauren and Loki Member

@FrostD @Bron and Sheba (GA) @Suzanne & Darcy

Not sure if true 911 or not, will remove once answered:

Loki’s Libre alarmed me @ +4 .25 that he was going low and was reading 69⬇️, so I did a blood test with the ReliOn (yes I can home test successfully now!) and that reading was 79. The Libre at the same time was reading 52..obviously the ReliOn is the more accurate reading right? Especially since there can be differences the lower the numbers? Just wanting to point out the vast difference, one situation is scary, the other not so much. I will continue to monitor, but I did give a spoonful of some higher low carb food.

Loki has been bouncing a lot, and based on realizing that Sheba pates have tapioca starch, I believe this was causing his numbers to stay high on the 0.75U dose! But with guided advice last night, I increased his dose to 1U, but also stopped feeding the Sheba. This is probably a result of higher insulin with a different, actual lower carb food. Either way, I’m glad to see something other than a black/red number! I also successfully blood tested for ketones yesterday, they were 0.5! :)

Regardless of which monitor, I suppose this calls for a reduction again?? Maybe will see better results with the different food!

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  2. Erin Ethan

Erin Ethan Member

Hi @Lauren and Loki- I'm not an expert- but I have been told by others on here that the Libre tends to read lower at lower #s and that a blood prick test is more accurate (Ethan went down to 43 the other day on the Libre so this was where the discussion came up).

An expert will be able to weigh in with more insights and advice but wanted to share what I have been told about the Libre in the meantime.

Lauren and Loki likes this.
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

4. Lauren and Loki

Lauren and Loki Member

Thank you! Blood testing is saving my anxiety right now! He's hanging in the 70s, while the Libre wants to say 50s. What a difference! I hope your Ethan is okay!

Thank you for posting the link to my previous thread, I meant to and forgot! Working on SS now :cat:

5. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Can you also please remove the 911 from your post when you have a sec? :cat:

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

No problem at all :cat:
    Hopefully Melissa or Suzanne will be on soon about whether or not you should decrease his dose since you just increased to 1 unit last night

@FrostD

@Suzanne & Darcy

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
  7. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Oh Loki. What did you feed this morning in terms of %, and when?

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

I see Loki dropped again to 73 @+5.5
    If I were you I would put the date and all the numbers in your title :cat:
    @Lauren and Loki

9. Lauren and Loki

Lauren and Loki Member

I fed him a can of a new pate from Orijen, here is a link:

https://www.orijenpetfoods.com/en-U...food/ds-wet-cat-food-duck-chicken-recipe.html

The guaranteed analysis is there, and when I did the calculations on the Balance It website, it's giving a negative ME carb percentage?

The numbers for this food are: Protein 11%, Fat 5%, Fiber 0.5%, Moisture 80%, and Ash 4%. When I put that into the calculator, it gives -2.21% ME carb. To be honest the carb calculator still confuses me, and so does dry matter and ME terms. I need someone to help me understand this better. I am trying to find decent foods to feed him, that are not necessarily 0 carbs, I don't like that idea, but something low that he will eat. That's currently what I'm working on.

He did not much love this flavor of food today, but has liked other flavors of this same brand. I was going to get more when this happened. So he has not eaten as much as normal this morning, which is obviously a factor.

10. Lauren and Loki

Lauren and Loki Member

I have given him two spoonfuls of a higher low carb food (an hour apart), last one was an hour ago, and he is now at 113 as of +6.25 (ReliOn reading) and the Libre reading at the same time was 87..so big difference there, but I'm trusting the ReliOn

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

@FrostD
    See Post 9 and 10 :cat:
    her question is whether or not she should decrease his dose since she was advised to increased to 1 unit last night and today dropped to 73 @ +5.5

I'll try Suzanne also
    @Suzanne & Darcy

12. Diane Tyler's Mom

@FrostD
    See Post 9 and 10 :cat:
    her question is whether or not she should decrease his dose since she was advised to increased to 1 unit last night and today dropped to 73 @ +5.5

I'll try Suzanne also

@Suzanne & Darcy

I can try Bron again
    @Bron and Sheba (GA)

I know you aren't prozinc users but I thought you might be able to help out since she hasn't heard anything back yet
    @Wendy&Neko

@Sienne and Gabby (GA)

13. Lauren and Loki

Lauren and Loki Member

@Diane Tyler's Mom Thank you for always being so helpful! I tried to wait for an answer, and stalled his injection an additional 30 min. But since I didn’t hear anything in time, I just prayed for guidance and wound up deciding to reduce back to 0.75 to be safe, and will keep checking ketones. I’m sure he will be bouncing after today, and I kept that in mind too, as I want to see how he does on this new food, and don’t want a tremendous drop when his bounce breaks. Thanks to everyone, and any input is always welcome <3 :bighug:

14. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

You did right to decrease under the rules of SLGS. I think Loki broke his bounce and then had the increase too. Let’s see how he does now. You will no doubt see a bounce.

15. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing about food. I think he needs snacks at +2, +3 and probably +4 (or more depending on numbers). If he’s going to make a habit of steep drops between +2 and +3 then I would be feeding a higher carb food then. Something closer to ten percent. If that doesn’t work then even a mid carb of approximately 12-14 percent (don’t stress too much over the exact percentages but I am just trying to give ballpark examples of higher low-carb and medium carb food percentages.)

16. Diane Tyler's Mom

Your are Welcome :cat:

17. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Lauren , did you test last night , I don't see anything entered on your SS.
    Good luck with the reduction today :cat:

18. Lauren and Loki

Lauren and Loki Member

Hello :) yes, he was reading HI all night on the Libre, and dipped into the low 300s around +7 for just a couple hours before heading back up before AMPS. I will update the SS later today, catching up on some much needed sleep :blackeye:;)

FrostD and Diane Tyler's Mom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.