lower than normal

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Sandjules & Mama Cat, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Sandjules & Mama Cat

Sandjules & Mama Cat Member

Hi, everyone. So Mama Cat was acting more out of it than normal, so I decided to test her after she ate, before I gave her her shot. She was at 64! Normally she'd be high 200s, low 300s. So of course, no shot. I gave her some food with gravy and a little dry. 2 hours later, she's just 68. I did test the Alpha Trak and strips. My testing solution is older than 3 months (the bottle says to discard), but the test was with in the limits 9145).

Is it possible she's gone into remission, or something equally odd? She's been sort of finicky this last week. We thought maybe she just had gotten tired of the same old Friskies flavors, so we just would open a different can and she'd eat. Still got the dementia behavior, pacing, urinating just about anywhere she wants, and using the litter box some. Any thoughts?

I'll be testing her every 2 hours today and giving her snacks throughout. I know I'm not supposed to test within 2 hours of food, but I'm guessing it won't make much difference.

2. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

When did she last get insulin? I'm not familiar with how Vetsulin works so I guess it's possible she would still have some in her system. If it's been more than 12 hours since her shot, hypo is likely not a concern. I checked your spreadsheet and don't see any tests between now and mid-August. Are you testing and just not updating your spreadsheet? It's a good thing you did test and not shoot. I would make sure to get a preshot test before her next main meal but not necessarily feed her more than normal today. If her pancreas is doing it's job, 64 is a good number and there's no worries about hypo if you are not giving her insulin.

3. Sandjules & Mama Cat

Sandjules & Mama Cat Member

Hi. She had her last dose last night at 6:30 (2u). Actually we were just going with her standard routine ... everything seemed to be "normal" at least her new norm, so I just didn't test her anymore. I'm so glad I noticed how she was this morning. I just tested her again, which is 103, so she's coming back up. I definitely will test her again before she eats her dinner. Thanks for responding.

4. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

Be sure to post and get some feedback from other Vetsulin users before shooting if her numbers remain low. If she's headed into remission, she still may need a tiny bit of insulin to ease her into it.