Lowest number yet. What to do?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Caitlin & Charleston, May 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caitlin & Charleston

Caitlin & Charleston Member

I tested Charleston at +6 and got an 89 on my Alphatrak 2. I retested on a ReliOn prime and got 71. I understand these may be considered "good numbers," but are far lower than normal for him. He's acting normal. I'll test him again shortly to see if he is going up or down. But, should I give him some FF gravy lovers or high carb treats? Or just wait it out for now?

Also, should I reduce his dose .25U tonight? We just went up from 2.25 to 2.5 a couple days ago. Here's the dose increase thread: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/charleston-dosing-thread.230187/. Thank you!

2. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

71 is under 90 and it means he earned a dose reduction so yes, go back down to 2.25 tonight. I’d give him something carby and retest to make sure he’s going up not down

3. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Reduce but I wouldn't give any high carbs, a regular snack if you want and test in 20-30 minutes. He'll probably start heading up since you're halfway through the cycle. Congrats on the reduction!

4. Caitlin & Charleston

Caitlin & Charleston Member

Thanks! I gave him his normal mid-day .5 can of FF pate after the +6 reading and one of his daily vitamin treats that's just a little carby. He's headed back up now. Since I am still so new at this, getting lower numbers than I am used to just tends to freak me out. :nailbiting:

I'll reduce him to 2.25 tonight. Is this a temporary reduction just for tonight or now I should stick with the 2.25 dose for at least a week again?

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

That's a fantastic number for a low. Definitly no high carb. If you want to give a snack of his regular low carb food to keep from going lower that would be ok. Love those nice healing green.

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Stick with the 2.25. Unless you see high numbers again or if he goes low.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.