Lucy: 4 Years OTJ!!!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Libby and Lucy, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

What a ride it has been. It has been a while since I have posted her whole story, so I'm putting it here today to show everyone that anyone can do this FD thing.

Lucy's story in photos

September 2007: Lucy was almost dead when she was diagnosed: DKA, lipidosis, kidney failure, neuropathy... It came on literally overnight - vet suspected pancreatitis but it was not officially diagnosed.

The only way I can describe Lucy is that she is a survivor and a real tough cookie. She was dumped at a high kill shelter at age 5 for not using the litter box. Let's see, a 5 year old cat with litter box problems in a high kill shelter - not looking good, is it? Siamese Cat Rescue Center to the rescue!!! The shelter called Siamese Rescue to see if we wanted this cat named "Precious." Our volunteer went out to evaluate her and fell in love. SCRC had no foster space available, but the volunteer offered to out-foster Precious for the shelter AND pay her medical expenses to get the UTI taken care of. She also had untreated metritis, which I understand is a retained placenta that was infected and was making her belly extremely painful - so Lucy had a kitty hysterectomy. This volunteer kept her for a month until she got into Rescue. Then she had about 3 months at her foster home, a few nasty bouts of hairballs that made her stop eating, and a very shy demeanor.

Then a funny thing happened. My other Siamese Rescue kitty, Bobbi, died of renal failure (that's not the funny part). A week later I agreed to transport some cats around for Siamese Rescue because I needed something productive to do to get my mind off Bobbi. I was dropping off another cat at a foster home, and there was Precious. I just couldn't get her out of my head, so a week later I went back to adopt her. I named her Lucy because she is slapstick comedy silly like Lucille Ball. A week later she went off her food. Even the vet thought it was another of her monster hairballs brewing - until she got much worse a few days later and bloodwork showed BG of over 600 and DKA and all kinds of other bad stuff. I guess she wanted to see if I really was going to be her mom forever.

The really ironic part? The same foster mom happened to have a diabetic foster, Neville, who I had had a crush on since the day he came into Rescue. I seriously considered adopting Neville, but his foster mom and I talked at length and I decided I just wasn't in a position to deal with diabetes so soon after losing Bobbi. I was playing with Lucy while we were having that conversation. Hmmmm.....

We started on N and then PZI. I had a couple of people from rescue helping me by phone, then I found FDMB and started lurking.

April 2008: I am very shy, so it took a few months before I was able to start posting. I did it for Lucy, when I got to a point where I truly thought she was going to die because of me. As hard as she had fought to stay alive, I wasn't going to let that happen. I found a new vet who recommended Lantus, then I forced myself to sign in to LL. The rest is history!

February 2009: after 17 months on insulin and 10 months in Lantus Land, Lucy had her last shot on 2/21/2009! I for one did not see that coming. It was truly an awesome day.

February 2013: Lucy is now 10-11 years old and is the healthiest of my cats, even though she has a few pounds to lose. She still tests in the 200s at the vet, but is consistently in the 50s at home. She is still the silly kitty too. I'm thankful I ignored that ER vet who told me I should put her to sleep back in 2007.

As bad as things may be sometimes, remember that your cat is fighting to stay here, and you can learn to help them. You're never alone in LL. And once you get to a point where you are feeling ok, then go help other newbies who may be feeling scared or alone. FDMB and Lantus Land saved Lucy's life, without a doubt. That is why I am still here four years after OTJ.

2. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA) Well-Known Member

CONGRATULATIONS Lucy!!!!! That's quite a landmark :mrgreen: dancing_cat

3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

4 Years OTJ! That is wonderful!

That is some story about how you and Lucy came to be together and all she's been through. She is one lucky kitty to have found you.

4. lesleymweick

lesleymweick Member

Truly inspired....thank you!

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

No truer words can be spoken!

CONGRATULATIONS LUCY!!
    AND LIBBY, TOO!!

[​IMG]

6. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

I hadn't seen that story before. That's quite inspiring.
    Congratulations Lucy and Libby!!​
    cat_pet_icon party_cat

7. Bruce & Simon

Bruce & Simon Well-Known Member

:RAHCAT dancing_cat Congratulations Libby & Lucy! dancing_cat :RAHCAT

Inspiring story :smile: And very true "You're never alone in LL"

8. Tara & Buster

Tara & Buster Well-Known Member

Great story! I'm glad the two of you found each other!
    dancing_cat :RAHCAT dancing_cat GRATZ ON 4 YEARS OTJ!! dancing_cat :RAHCAT dancing_cat

9. Nancy&Pepper (GA)

Nancy&Pepper (GA) Well-Known Member

You're an inspiration, Libby and Lucy! Thanks for sticking around to help others in Lantus Land - like me!

10. Doug N Libby

Doug N Libby Well-Known Member

What an inspiring story, Libby, thank you for sharing it! And, thank you for sticking around to help us!!!

CONGRATULATIONS on 4 years OTJ!!!!

[​IMG]

BIG HUG -

Libby (& Hershey, too!)

11. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

So AWESOME!!! Good job Lucy! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

12. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!! And thank you, Lucy, for teaching your bean so she can teach us. :D :D :D It is one of the most wonderful gifts in my entire life. Thank you, Libby. And thank you to everyone else here who helps out.
    Liz

13. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!! I love hearing Lucy's story! So heartwarming! So happy for you guys! Thanks for being wonderful and helping others out with your knowledge. Hugs and scritches to Lucy!!!

14. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Congratulations!

[​IMG]

Thank you for sharing Libby's story with us. LL is such a gift to us all and you are at the heart of it all.

15. Josie & Ripley (GA)

Josie & Ripley (GA) Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing this story! Lucy's quite the trooper!
    Congratulations on 4 years OTJ, Lucy!!!!

:RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT

16. Chuck and Susan

Chuck and Susan Member

One year is great, 4 years is quite a milestone!! Congrats to you both -- your hard work and perseverance paid off handsomely!

17. Courtney and Kismet

Courtney and Kismet Well-Known Member

Congrats, Libby and Lucy! What an inspirational story! Here's to wishing you many more years at the falls! party_cat

18. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

wow, 4 years OTJ is awesome! Mocha says Lucy is her idol :D Thank you for sharing your story with us Libby .. And lucy, thank you for being such a fighter!!

19. Deborah & Shasta

Deborah & Shasta Well-Known Member

Thank you for your story! You two are inspirations to us all. Thank you and Happy 4 years OTJ! dancing_cat dancing_cat

Congratulations, Lucy and Libby!!!!​

20. Frosty

Frosty Well-Known Member

CONGRATULATIONS !!!​

21. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

wow, I never knew Lucy's story...lucky for you that the original owners didn't want her, so you could have her!

and LIbby I would never know that you were the shy type- not with all you do on this board, you certainly got over that and have helped how many hundreds of kitties!

congrats on 4 years! it's a wonderful thing!

Hey Lucy,

You know I have a lovely uniform, err outfit with your name on it - and it come with a lovely pink tutu too! If only you would come over my place, I got lots of work you can do..... :mrgreen:

Congratulations on 4 years OTJ - signed Maui the Magnificent

22. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Happy 4 years OTJ Lucy :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :thumbup

23. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY LUCY & LIBBY!!
    :RAHCAT x 4 !!!! otj_icon otj_icon otj_icon :mrgreen:

Libby, it is so inspiring to read Lucy's story. What a great kitty she is, and so lucky to have found you. Thank you for being here and for helping all of us. LL is indeed a special place.

Ella & Rusty

24. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Congratulations Lucy and Libby!!! I always love hearing Lucy's success story. And she definitely looks more like a Lucy than Precious!

25. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Such a wonderful story....Happy Anniversary Lucy and Libby :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT !!!!

26. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Congratulations!! Lucy's story (and yours Libby) is truly inspirational. Not only did Lucy go OTJ after 17 months, her SS is a great example and gives hope to those of us owned by cats as bouncy as Lucy was for a while. And then after a short break with an OTJ cat, you got a second diabetic and acro cat. My hat's off to you. With many thanks for hanging around here.

27. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

With the recent sadness, it's nice to remember the miracle kitties who beat the odds. Thank you for sharing Lucy's story again.

MJ

28. Tena and Curry(GA)

Tena and Curry(GA) Well-Known Member

That's a beautiful story. A story of love, courage, caring and compassion. I'm so thankful you overcame your shyness to help your furbaby. And help all of us who benefitted from your guidance. You and Lucy rock.

Congrats!!!

29. tortie58

tortie58 Well-Known Member

Congrats Lucy! :RAHCAT You are one fighter! cat_pet_icon And a very lucky one to have the chance to get into a loving & caring home!
    My salute to you Libby! Four years is like a wink when we look at other's progress but I am sure everyday is an experience to you. Thankyou for staying on the board & helping all the new comers.

30. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

that's the best story! i'm glad you share it to inspire others - because it is very inspirational!

congrats to both of you! it turned into a wonderful win-win situation, libby! :mrgreen:

31. TheBowHuntress

TheBowHuntress Well-Known Member

party_cat Happy Four Year OTJ Anniversary Lucy party_cat

As Libby said

" As bad as things may be sometimes, remember that your cat is fighting to stay here, and you can learn to help them. You're never alone in LL. And once you get to a point where you are feeling ok, then go help other newbies who may be feeling scared or alone. FDMB and Lantus Land saved Lucy's life, without a doubt. That is why I am still here four years after OTJ."

This is a great sentiment and testament to FDMB and I'm so glad I'm part of this big family cat_pet_icon

32. GraceAndAngie

GraceAndAngie Member

Your and Lucy's story brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for telling it! What a trouper.

33. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

HAPPY 4TH OTJ ANNIFURSARY DEAR LUCY!!! WE ARE SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!

Remebering when Lucy went OTJ, what a glorious event in Lantus Land!! You have done an amazing job with her!! Lucy you rock!! Hugs from me!

34. ecurie

ecurie Well-Known Member

What an inspiration! It can't be an accident that the two of you found each other. You supported her in her fight to be fine. And you both won!!
    CONGRATULATIONS LUCY. HAPPY 4TH ANNIVERSARY!
    many hugs and scritches to you - mary and ollie

35. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Congratulations Lucy and Libby!!! Four years is so wonderful!! As Roni said, it was quite a celebration here when Lucy went OTJ. Lucy was so dramatic in her ups and downs. She had some serious doses before she marched down the dosing ladder... then back up... then down. :lol:

I still laugh at the photos of Libby's food bowl art. What a nut!

((((Libby and Lucy)))) Glad you have stayed to help here in the FDMB family! cat_pet_icon

36. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

I had forgotten how many Food Art pictures I had, until just now when I moved them all into one album.

Food Art by Lucy and Mickey

Lucy and my civvie Mickey used to use anything they could find to cover their food. They don't do it very much anymore, probably because I am boring and just feed them in the kitchen, where the creative supplies are limited to an occasional small toy. These pictures are mostly from when Lucy was in her drama-numbers phase, when I had food dishes everywhere to be sure she would feed her low numbers.

37. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

CONGRATULATIONS, LIBBY & LUCY!!!!

38. CD and BigMac

I couldn't Photoshop anything as funny as those food bowls! The shoe has to be my favorite and then the angel. BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

39. CD and BigMac

I couldn't Photoshop anything as funny as those food bowls! The shoe has to be my favorite and then the angel. BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

40. Anne&Muffin (GA)

Anne&Muffin (GA) Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!! 4 years is truly amazing! Your story is so heartwarming, you both are so lucky to have found each other. Libby, you are surely an inspiration!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.