Lucy: 5 years OTJ!!!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Libby and Lucy, Feb 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Yep, 5 years. :mrgreen:

Lucy was a healthy kitty when I adopted her, then about 10 days later I came home to find her hiding in my closet, nearly dead. Her BG was over 650 and she was DKA. The vet never determined what happened, but I suspect an acute pancreatitis attack that triggered everything. My little fighter kept fighting, and after 6 days in the hospital she came home! She had gone from 11 pounds to about 6.5 pounds in less than two weeks.

We stumbled around for a while on our own, but eventually found LL and the rest is history. Lucy was known for her late night drama, and our journey was not an easy one. But finally, after 17 months on insulin, Lucy decided she was done with that stuff. Her last shot was 2/21/09. :mrgreen:

Lucy is now the healthy cat in my home. She still tests over 200 at the vet, but in the 50s-60s at home. She just had her annual vet checkup and got a clean bill of health.

Hang in there, you can do it! If your cat is hard to regulate, just take it as an opportunity to learn even more about your cat. The harder you have to work at it, the closer you will probably bond with your cat. Lucy has inspired me to love two other diabetic kitties, and I have no doubt there will someday be another.

Thank you, Jill & Alex and Jojo andbunny for saving my kitty. :smile:

[​IMG]

2. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

CONGRATULATIONS LIBBY AND LUCY

You and Lucy are an inspiration to all on this site. Thanks for doing all you do and helping so many of us. GO LUCY. Bless both of you.

3. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Congratulations!! What a fantastic anniversary to celebrate!!!!

4. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

an we are ever so grateful for all the wonderful experience shared in LL! :YMHUG:

Attached Files:

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Congrats! Lucy's story, including shoes in the food bowl, is an inspiration. (And Gabby thanks for for the diving diva lessons.)

6. Rachel & Chyna (GA)

Rachel & Chyna (GA) Well-Known Member

Congrats, that is so awesome :D ! 5 years is amazing, and such an inspiration to everyone! Way to go, Lucy, and Libby! dancing_cat :RAHCAT dancing_cat :RAHCAT :thumbup

(PS, Lucy is beautiful! I love that she is sitting in a cat food box looking expectant :lol: )

7. Suzanne & Cobb(GA)

Suzanne & Cobb(GA) Well-Known Member

Awesome! Definitely something to celebrate :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT and a morale booster for those hard to regulate cats!! :)

8. Rebekah

Rebekah Member

Woot! Woot! Rah! Rah! Hip Hip Hooray!

What a great celebration for you, and us too!

And here's to hard to regulate kitties, their victories are truly sweet!

Rebekah and Ole

9. Linda and Scooter & Jack

Linda and Scooter & Jack Well-Known Member

WOW AMAZING!

:RAHCAT

10. mariko

mariko Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Libby and Lucy!!!!
    :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT

11. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

[​IMG]
    CONGRATULATIONS LIBBY and LUCY!!!
    5 years OTJ! Wooo-hooooo!

Lucy was not one of those kitties who go OTJ quickly with a little insulin and a change in diet. Libby had to work... and work pretty darn hard to get Lucy Off-the-Juice.
    She didn't have anyone to help her. She is and was the sole caregiver AND she works full time.

Libby gobbled up every bit of information we could give her and she always looked for more to learn.
    She put her trust in us and the insulin. It was a long hard road which paid off in the end. Even if Lucy had not gone OTJ, her life was better for all Libby's efforts.

Lucy was not the only one to benefit from all Libby had learned.
    You may not "see" Libby in Lantus Land much these days, but trust me... she's around... always keeping a watchful eye on you and your kitties... ready to jump in and help if needed.
    Thank you, Libby!

Those of you who have never looked at Lucy's spreadsheet should take a look for a bit of inspiration... especially when you're feeling lost or down.

and Lucy... what can I say about the Diving Diva? What a character and such a sweetheart!

[​IMG]

Congratulations Libby and Lucy! I'm so happy for the two of you!
    Tears of happiness...

12. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

WOW! Libby, you and Lucy are truly an inspiration for all of us.

Congratulations!!!

dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat

13. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

Awwww...HAPPY ANNIFURSARY LUCY!!!!! 5 YEARS WOW!!!!

Woo Hoo!!!!
    dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat

..and Congrats to you too Libby... and thanks for paying it forward and all you do for so many!!
    :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

Attached Files:

14. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY LIBBY & LUCY!!​

Thank you, Lucy, for being an inspiration to so many LL kitties. And THANK YOU LIBBY for everything you do here, for all of your incredible expertiese, and for your compassionate and commom-sense approach to the management of feline diabetes. We are all in your debt.

Enjoy your anniversary celebration! :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT

Hugs and scritches,

Ella & Rusty

15. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

HAPPY 5th ANNIFURSARY! [​IMG]

What a good kitty Lucy is! [​IMG] Her SS is indeed cause for hope for those who also love bouncy kitties.

And so much thanks to you Libby for all your help here and the love you have given to three diabetic kitties.

16. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

:RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT
    Way to Go! ! ! Congratulations Libby & pretty pretty Lucy ! ! !

(Jeepers - where have the years gone?)

17. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

congratulations! We're so glad for all 5 of you! :D

[​IMG]

18. Lauren&Tommy (GA)

Lauren&Tommy (GA) Well-Known Member

Happy Happy dance!! What an awesome journey you both have had. I know that without your wisdom and late nite advice as well as others here, I would have been lost. I pray for many more happy years OTJ for you sweetheart. Happy 5 wonderful years at the falls Lucy. dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat

[​IMG]

19. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I'm so envious. Five years OTJ! Wow!!

20. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

This is so inspiring....Congratulations Lucy and Libby!!!!!

21. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Libby and Lucy!!!!

:mrgreen: :RAHCAT dancing_cat flip_cat party_cat :mrgreen: :RAHCAT dancing_cat flip_cat party_cat :mrgreen:​

5 years went by so quickly! drinking24 Here's to many more wonderful OTJ years!!!​

22. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

CONGRATS LIBBY AD LUCY!!!​

I remember that day, the OTJ day, like it was yesterday. 5 years! How totally cool is that. Congrats to you both. What an inspiration you both are. WOOT!

23. Nancy&Pepper (GA)

Nancy&Pepper (GA) Well-Known Member

CONGRATULATIONS LIBBY & LUCY!

Wow, 5 years!

24. Deborah & Shasta

Deborah & Shasta Well-Known Member

Love to hear such happy stories. :D Congrats to you and Lucy!!!! dancing_cat dancing_cat

25. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Thanks everybody!

Lucy is a very special kitty, for so many reasons. Since I had just adopted her when she got sick, I really didn't know her well enough to know what her personality really was like. It was so much fun seeing all the little bits of Lucy-ness start to peek through as she started to feel better. I'm grateful to still have her, and since she is still young (she is only about 11) I hope we'll be together for a very long time.

And yep, Jill is right. I'm not visible here as much as I used to be, but I still visit every day. I don't post much because I don't like to post when I won't be able to hang around to follow up, but I'm still reading the board and jump in when I can. This place has been such a big part of my life for 6 years now, so I could never leave.

26. lovey11

lovey11 Well-Known Member

Congratulations on Lucy's 5 years OTJ! Thank you for such an inspiring story. It gives hope and encouragement.

27. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

oh my gosh, how did I miss this one? HAPPY 5 YEAR ANNIFURSARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so happy for you guys, lucy has an amazing story and an amazing mommabean!! Congrats again guys, I'm so happy for you!

28. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

Happy 5 years, guys!!! Willie took 31 months to go OTJ the first time, and Lucy's saga was one that often kept me going when things got frustrating... not only was there always a chance, but that even if it never happened, a happy, healthy, regulated kitty was a good thing.

Thank you so much for all that you bring to the board!! And 5 years.... wooo hoooo!!!!!!!!

29. Dale 'n' Chip

Dale 'n' Chip Well-Known Member

Congratulations! dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat

And big thanks for sticking around and paying it forward.

30. Doug N Libby

Doug N Libby Well-Known Member

Sorry I'm late, but HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to you and your beautiful girl!!!! You're right about the harder they are, the more you'll learn about them and the deeper the bond. So happy for y'all and thanks for paying it forward!

Hugs -

Libby (& Hershey, too!)

31. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Happy Anniversary Lucy :D
    [​IMG]
    And Congratulations. Libby, thanks for all you do here. :YMHUG:

32. Kim & Twice

Kim & Twice Well-Known Member

Happy Belated Anniversary Libby and Lucy!!!! :RAHCAT
    This makes my heart smile!

Thread Status: