? Mable AMPS 83 retest 85

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Courtney & Mable, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Courtney & Mable

Courtney & Mable Member

Hello

We need some advice. Yesterday we decreased to .5u from 1u after a few days of low AMPS.
    I tested mable 40 mins ago to 83 AMPS and again just now to 85.
    Do we feed MC food to bring up to 150? Or wait until 90 and retest?
    Please help.
    On a side note I think mable is making pretty good progress. Her demeanor this morning is very good. I think she is also hungry.
    We are 15 mins past shot time. Should this evenings shot be brought back 15 minutes?

DexterMeowgan and Bandit's Mom like this.
  2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Courtney, did you give 0.5U last night as well? Your SS is blank.

Looks like you stalled and she is still below 90. I would suggest you skip and go to 0.25U from tonight. Delaying the shot any longer will only disrupt your schedule too much.
    Feed normal LC.

If you are skipping you can shoot a little early tonight i.e. move your shot time ahead so that you get a +1 before leaving for work

3. Courtney & Mable

Courtney & Mable Member

Thank you Bhooma, for coming to our assistance so often. To clarify, we will skip this morning and move to .25 tonight. Should we resume .5 in the morning, and for a week until we curve,
    or should we just stick with .25 with a new reduction?

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  4. Courtney & Mable

Courtney & Mable Member

Yes we did .5 dose last night too.
    Skipping and feeding LC now

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  5. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Can you put in the link to yesterday’s thread?

6. Courtney & Mable

Courtney & Mable Member

7. Bandit's Mom

With SLGS she has earned another reduction by dropping below 90 today. So her new dose going forward would be 0.25U.

DexterMeowgan likes this.
  8. Courtney & Mable

Courtney & Mable Member

One more questions. She didnt seem to each as much as she normally does last night so i wonder if that's contributing to the still low BG even at .5? Does that change anything for tonight?
    Our vet says .25u doesn't exist as a dose as of yesterday but it's definitely doable.

9. Bandit's Mom

There are times you can avoid a reduction or keep a cat at a dose by feeding the curve and preventing drops below the reduction point.

However, in Mabel's case, I am not sure whether 0.5U is the good dose or whether it is too much and she needs only 0.25U - not enough tests to see how low she's going. I would go with the 0.25U and see how she does on it. The preshot is not an indication of how much insulin she needs or how low she is going on a dose - as you have already seen.

We have doses below 0.25U as well. 0.10U and then a drop dose. Sharing some spreadsheets of cats going down the dosing ladder to 0.10U and then a drop!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...7JcfOGpBhcYl32vzuwZX05IXpsBbvF7TWRC8t/pubhtml

DexterMeowgan likes this.
  10. DexterMeowgan

DexterMeowgan Member

My spreadsheet shows all the way down to a drop dose improvements in overall BG.

There's definitely smaller doses than 0.5, but not on a syringe physically marked. They're more about visually guesstimating than actual markings. :)

11. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Silly vet. People on this board get down to a drop dose before going OTJ - or some cats just need that drop to stay in good numbers. Not surprising though that the vet doesn’t know about it since they always tend to want to keep the cats in higher numbers.

12. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Do you use syringes with the half unit markings?

Pictorial guide using a U-100 syringe marked with half units:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]