Mauer

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by SashaV, Oct 5, 2020.

1. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

@Deb & Wink :bighug:

My baby weight arrived today.
    Mauer has gained 300g, despite her changes in diet and more exercise.

I talked yo my vet about b12, and her weight. And asked her if something else could be wrong with Mauer, since she doesn't loose weight.
    "Yeah, is she was a dog I'd think cushings" cause she hadn't heard cats can have it too.
    But I've seen the group here...so I Googled.

Mauer looks like she has swallowed a ball. She has dandruff. She doesn't pee often, but its a freaking waterfall when she does.
    And most of all she has diabetes.
    And despite all my efforts she isn't regulated yet.

I finally think this is working, I've finally seen green, without a following reduction.
    Same dose, not even blue today.
    I've seen people come later than me, with cats who's green and blue daily.
    I really do believe I've done my best, so why isn't she down there?

Am I seeing ghosts here?
    Is she just hard to regulate? Is her history the average cats? Every cat is different, I know. But taking that into consideration, is she and the situation normal?

Talk about moodswings... I'm falling apart. I just want her healthy, happy and enjoying life.

I'm sorry. Yesterday was so great. I was really looking forward to show off some more green and blue...

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

No ghosts, simply puzzlement on why Mauer is not acting like the "average kitty".
    Yes, this situation is normal.
    Nerve wracking Sasha, your nerves are shot from keeping such a close eye on Mauer all the time.

I think from what you have said, that Mauer IS happy, healthy and enjoying life. Getting back to her old behavior and playing with Miver.
    No one to impress here Sasha, with only blue and green BG readings. You are doing this for Mauer, not for me or anyone else on here.

She'll get more blues and greens when she is ready.

Remember, you reduced the dose on the PM cycle for 10/4/20. So she got 1U less than she had been getting, and that can impact her BG levels for several cycles. It's not only the current cycle that is affected, by taking a temporary dose reduction.

Maybe it's time to visit the twins, to cheer you up? Or at least see them on Zoom?

SashaV likes this.
  3. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

So it won't be an overreaction to get her checked for cushings?

I feel she's happy when her numbers are lowered. I'd almost forgotten how she was, cause she's been slowly disappearing from me.

I want to impress myself. I wanna see that what I've been doing is working. For once this is the situation where I don't wanna stand out, just being one in the crowd. You know? I want me and Mauer to be nothing more than average.

But at least she didn't bounce! She was higher than I'd like, but she kept steady and holding her numbers really well. That's what I want, just lower :oops:

You're so right, Deb. I need to see those wonderful babies! I was going last week but then I got a coldsore so I canceled.
    Their mom wants my help on Friday when the twins get their vaccination. It's close to Mauers AM shot, so I'll shoot her 15 minutes before and rush off. The doctors appointment is 10:30, I have a 35-40 minute's drive and I shoot at 10:00.

They're getting baptized the 25 of October and I've been given the honor of being their godmother. If everything goes well, we're having a new outbreak of covid even worse than the first time. So hopefully things will slow down!

I'm crocheting them both a blanket that can grow with them. A soft cotton and bamboo blanket. They are getting so many gifts on that day so I wanted to do something special. And then I got a New York Times newspaper from the day they were born. Its their parents second home, and they have a paper from their anniversary hanging. So they'll get that too in a nice frame.

Mauer did go blue this PM cycle so fingers crossed she'll have another perfect day in the greens and blues! :bighug:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  4. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Congratulations!!! :bighug:
    I love crocheting, definitely a stress reducer!!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  5. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Same her is the US. Looks like they are starting to shut down New York again, at least certain parts of it. With influenza coming back in, its going to be an ugly season for sure!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  6. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Its a huge honor!

Nothing stress reducing on this project. I just started on the first blanket :banghead::nailbiting:
    Loooooong way to go :oops:

Exactly. Flu season is most likely going to tip the scale. It's scary really.

Attached Files:

LoveforTucker and Deb & Wink like this.
  7. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Is this a bounce? Please say no :oops:
    But we had blue! And a blue in her PM cycle too. :woot:

Deb, what do you think of the dosage? Now that I'm freestyling a bit?
    The 2.5U was in hindsight a bit too low.
    I think it works with the fat and skinny instead of the full 0.25U at a time.
    Not a full sliding scale but a slower increase, slightly depending on the pre-shot number. A mix of all perhaps?
    She hasn't had this many blues and green without a following reduction ever! and the tiniest bounces, if we look past today's.....

Deb & Wink likes this.
  8. Deb & Wink

Sorry, can't do that since red and black BG numbers usually mean a bounce.

Mauer dropped to the blue range, and then her body overreacted and she bounced high to the reds.

Some cats do better with smaller changes to the dose, what we call the "Fat" and "skinny" doses. Micro adjustments.
    Yes, a full 1U change was too much. But you needed to catch up on your sleep.

You have to decide what is sustainable for you Sasha. What can you do to make this better for yourself?

So no reduction in Mauer's immediate future it sounds like. Only skinny and fat dose changes.

p.s. I might not be on for a couple of days. Got some things to catch up on.

9. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Take care sweet Deb, and be safe :bighug:

I think this is working for me, the small changes in dosage. Its not as intimidating as a "full" increase. Tomorrow we'll try going a tiny bit higer in AM cycle. But I think these flat cycles besides they're too high is a good thing?

Winter is coming. So does the influenza season.. i had to cancel with the twins. Was a bit stuffed in my nose this morning and a tiny bit is off with my breathing. But I won't take the chance.

I think I've killed my drumsticks plant :oops:
    I hate when that happens. Next time I try not buying a summer plant in the fall :woot:

Ann & Scatcats and Deb & Wink like this.
  10. Deb & Wink

If little tweaks in doses are what you need to do Sasha, then do that. You find what works for you and makes you comfortable.

A bit more "juice" (aka insulin) in the AM sounds like a good plan. Those flat cycles are a bit too high, and do say that Mauer needs another small change in dose, a "tweak" of that Fat shot she has been getting.

I've been doing a lot of reassessing and thinking about what is sustainable in my life. From the littlest tasks to the big picture sort of "how do you want to be spending your life" kind of questions. Not trying to get too philosophical here Sasha, but it helps to step back occasionally and think about what you can do short term, medium term and long term. Then go from there. The answers are not set in concrete, and can change over time. For me, sometimes from hour to hour, other times from year to year.

Darn, double darn, triple darn on the sniffles and not being able to see those twins. Very thoughtful to keep yourself at home and not bring any possible illness to the twins. I know you will really miss the visit.

Stuffed up nose? Itchy, red and watery eyes? Wheezing a bit? That is me during the 2 month fall allergy season. I had to take a decongestant before I went to run my errands, so I could breathe better through my mask.

Marathon errand day today and yesterday I was trying to get some gardening done before the severe storms hit, so that pushes all the daytime tasks to later in the evenings. Power stayed on at least, although my internet and phone were kind of acting up for a while. I hadn't been grocery shopping in about a month. So today was the day for that and a lot of other things.

11. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

They're flat, so she isn't bouncing. It makes me see clearly whats going on. I find those bounces really hard to figure out. And Mauer is happier when she's flat but a little high, rather than being high and then low.

It sounds like a good plan to think everything over. Did you reach anything interesting?

Just the wheezing and a stuffed nose. The wheezing isn't unusual for me. I usually get a infection in my lungs every year.
    But with everything going around its so hard to know whats a flu and what is definitely not. I couldn't live with myself if I gave the twins covid so better to be safe. And their grandma is going to the doc's appointment with them and their mom today, so I didn't screw that up at least.

Seriously? What a storm! Wow!
    Our powerlines is in the ground so we never loose power, unless someone crashes their car into a transformation station. It happens but rarely :woot:

How do you manage not grocery shopping for so long? Do to even eat woman?! :eek:

I went up to a straight 3.75U. My fat 3.50U is 9, regular 3.75U is 9.4, so tiny drops at a time. And the 3.25U made her blue last night, so if she'd had the 3.75U then we'd probably earned a reduction last night. If this keeps working I'll keep doing my weird dosing thing :D
    Fingers crossed!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  12. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Blue four nights in a row!
    That's a first :D

However she's still too high during her AM cycle. Why is that?
    It's clear I can't go higher in her PM shot. But I've increased her AM and she's still too high, even after a few days settling into it. Could it be some kind of weird effect to her dose being too high?
    Or maybe I need to go even higher?

I've lowered her amps meal to half, since she's still not loosing any weight. Keeping the pmps meal the same, and food available during the night. No food from amps to +3 unless I'm not here to test.

Deb & Wink and JanetNJ like this.
  13. Deb & Wink

Yeah!
    Plus a string of blues for the AM cycle today, 10/12/20.

It's looking to me like his evening (PM) dose isn't quite enough for him. But I see you increased to a 3.25F (fat) today so maybe that will help.

Sometimes a diabetic cat not losing any weight means they
    1. are getting into "contraband" food (the other cats)
    2. there could be another condition going on, like acromegaly or IAA (insulin auto antibodies).

JanetNJ likes this.
  14. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

You want her even lower during the night?
    Why? To get a carryover effect?

She doesn't and can't get into contraband food.
    She gets 1,5% of her ideal weight of raw food, witch is 75 grams. And then she gets canned food with lots of water at +3 and during the night cycle.
    Haven't seen her drinking anything really for a while now hence the water in the canned food. So she should loose some weight and not gain it..

Deb & Wink likes this.
  15. Deb & Wink

The higher evening BG levels, could be making Mauer higher in the AM. When you start a cycle high, and remain high (pinks and yellows) then the next cycle is likely to be too high also.

Cats eating a raw diet or canned food often don't drink any water at all from a water dish or fountain. Since they are getting all the water they need from the food they eat, the thirst drive simply doesn't kick into action. Adding water to the food can make your cat feel a bit fuller and perhaps lose some weight.

Keeping our paws crossed that weight loss happens for your Mauer girl. Being at her ideal weight will help Mauer to use the insulin better. Fat cells don't process the insulin as efficiently, in either humans or felines.

16. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

So push her a little further down, so she keeps down longer for the new shot to take over?

I know, and I'm not worried about it. I have a diabetic cat that doesn't drink :D:D:D
    She has spent enough of her life sitting there drinking. Can't believe why I didn't toss the dry food out sooner...:banghead:

Nope still not loosing weight. Gained 100 grams :banghead:
    Now 50g of raw and canned as usual.

My vet is calling me back today. I want her checked out for IAA, cushings and agro. She is now under 100g from 8 kilo and she's now so fat she can't clean herself. I'm doing everything I can, something else must be wrong with her.
    How degrading she can't even clean herself :arghh::(

17. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

My vet called me back.

She suggested I put Mauer on Hills MD dry food..
    So I'd know exactly how many calories she gets. She didn't know how many carbs it has, but Hills spends lots of money on research and you know.

So I won't do it. I'm a 100% sure it isn't the way to go. It makes no sense to me to fill her up with vegetables and carbs, plus she'd get so little she would feel she's starving.
    If I were to do switch anything out it would be the raw to only canned food.
    And I won't do that unless it's the only way, cause raw is the only thing she ALWAYS eats.

But something needs to happen very soon. It's not a worthy life not to be able to clean herself, the weight counteracts the insulin, her bones and joints is pressured as it is.

I upped her dose again. Just a fat one as the new usual. She got some exercise in the garden today. Next Wednesday we have an appointment to the blood samples. Anything else worth checking out in those tests? Kidneys, liver?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  18. Deb & Wink

I wouldn't do the food switch either, that your vet suggested.
    Yes.
    Cushing's is very rare in cats. IAA and acromegaly (1 in 4 or 5 diabetic cats I think?) are more common. I think that the blood samples have to be sent to the RCVM (Royal College of Veterinary Medicine) in the UK, since you are in Europe.

I suppose it could be possible that Mauer has low thyroid levels. Those regulate body weight, and if her body isn't producing enough thyroid hormone on it's own, that could cause the weight gain.

Palpation of the abdomen of course. To check for masses that should not be there.

Two links for you from elsewhere in the forum on Acromegaly.
    Acromegaly in Cats
    Sticky Acromegaly and Other High Dose Conditions: What We Know

19. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Great idea with the abdomen! That should really be the first thing..

Thanks for the links :bighug::bighug:
    I have already read those.
    And I know cushings is rare.. but it fits best.
    I think Idexx in Germany do the testing? I found that they analyze the igf-1 and some other stuff. But it also depends on the vet of course.

They talked about keeping her for an hour to give her some...dex-something? But she didn't know for sure, but that's how dogs get tested.

I cross everything I have, hoping it's neither of those things. That it's only my overfeeding that made her fat.

20. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Exiting last part of am cycle...
    I had a feeling she'd go lower after the blue reading, but I didn't test. She's been a bit tired of me today.
    Hope I didn't shoot too low, but if I did I know that for the next time!
    At least I shot higher than last time :oops::D
    This is really a steep learning curve!
    Based on data and gut feeling. Mostly gut feeling on my part.

I'll do a +4 to see where she's headed and throw in more if she goes lower.

However I still feel we're finally going in the right direction! Lot less bouncing, thank goodness! And the more blue and higher greens she gets the more comfortable I get with her being down there. I still don't like the blue pre-shots though.....

Hope you've had a great day! :bighug:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  21. Deb & Wink

I know you don't like to see Mauer in the blues, but she needs to be there.
    Hopefully not too much excitement late in the PM cycle.
    Are you feeling better? Sniffles and stuffed up feeling all gone?

My big bulb order came late this evening after sunset, and I spent an hour by the garage lights, opening up the boxes to double check things against the packing list. It was a beautiful warm day today, in the 70's which is 10 degrees warmer than usual for this time of year. The leaves are changing colors, and it's an absolutely stunning sight.

Early night for me, so I can get up early tomorrow and get some planting done before the rain comes.

22. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

For once Deb, I made the right call on her PM dose! She didn't go too low, was bluuuuuue surfing, and she didn't bounce! Hell yeah!
    My sleep though.... :banghead:o_O

I'm all good again. Got tested on Saturday and it came back negative. Must be a tiny sniffle in the air, my sister got it too :D:joyful:
    And tested negative of course!

You must show a picture in the spring when everything blooms!
    Yeah the leaves are so beautiful when they change to those red, brown and yellow colors. I just woke up to +2 degrees, and the rooftops are white with frost. I simply love my Oodie in this weather, wish I could wear it all the time!

Hope you got a good night's sleep :bighug:
    I'll probably be napping a lot today :D:facepalm::cool:

23. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

I have some odd questions. Or maybe not odd, but I like to have it on "paper" if you know what I mean.

Firstly a huge anti-jinx!!!!!!!!!
    Secondly it looks like this odd dosing thing with different am and pm shots is working for Mauer, so I'll keep doing this.
    It also seems and I'm hoping I'm right (why the anti-jinx) that I'll be shooting lower than usual.

So I'd like if you, Deb, based on your experience, could give me a few pointers on where Mauers no-shoot number is.
    When(what number) not to shoot
    And when(what number) to reduce
    How low her nadir must be at the lowest, again the specific number.

Usually when I see a lower pre-shot number, I panic and forget everything. Last night I took a look at her SS and decided that a 3U would be fine. Really it was a gut feeling. I know the hypo thing, honey and HC, and if I don't I'll use the Health forum.

Now you've been with us on the sidelines, knowing what works and what doesn't, and you'll tell me straight up when I go to chicken-mode and shoot too low a dose.

The dosing advise is some what based on diagnosed within 6 months, and we're past that now.

You know I'm a chicken and you know Mauer doesn't follow the usual guidelines. So I'd really appreciate if you could give me your best shot on those numbers.

Due to the time difference I'd really like to be prepared. My ADHD brain really wants to be prepared and some clear numbers to react to, so I don't panic and shoot too low and ruin a potential perfect cycle.

I hope you understand what I mean!
    And if you're too busy I understand!
    Huge hugs! And I think she's having a perfect cycle!

Hope you made your gardening before the rain hit :bighug:

24. Deb & Wink

Your "decision point" number should be in the 120- 130 range. Actually that should be your stall, no food and retest number range. Then depending on the retests, you make a decision on the full dose, or a slightly reduced dose.
    "Shoot low to stay low" is one of the many sayings we have around here.
    If Mauer is hovering around 100, I'd suggest you give a token dose, instead of skipping entirely. Below 100, that gets a bit more iffy and depends on if you are around to test and feed her.

You've shot a 124 with a reduced dose on 10/4, so you have some experience with shooting lower numbers.
    No shoot would be under 80-90 or so. You'd have to be there to test and support her with some food if you shoot that low.
    Reduction point with a human meter and SLGS protocol is 90. (Your meter is a human meter)
    No lower than 50 mg/dL. You may feel safer working down to this low at nadir. So you may want to use 80, then 70, then 60 as your lows/nadirs.

Sasha, you did perfectly by thinking to look at Mauer's SS and seeing some of the patterns and making a judgment call on what to shoot. Mauer is one of those cats that is really sensitive to tiny adjustments in the dose, so those Fat and Skinny doses seem to be helping a LOT.

You are getting a little bit of a feeling for interpreting Mauer's past results with a particular dose and pre-shot range, and making choices on the dose. It's what we all try to learn but it's tricky to see the patterns and the ebb and flow. Don't look at only one cycle, or one day. Look at what has gone on for the past few days, the past week, the past month, etc. You called it a "gut feeling", but it's learning to see the patterns on the SS, at least unconsciously and bringing what you know about Mauer and how she reacts to the dose to help you to choose the dose if her numbers are lower.

Got about 350-400 bulbs, of the 1300-1400 hundred I ordered this time, planted today before the rain got too heavy to continue. Kept going out between bands of showers, to get one more area done. I figured the rain would help to settle the soil in around the bulbs and all the plants I put around, beside, in back of, in front of, on top of the bulbs. Looks too bare without something there.

I'll be busy planting bulbs all weekend, and into next week too. Set aside a few of the bulbs to force and have flowers inside for the winter. No frost here yet, be we are due for one any day now.

25. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

When I shot on the 124 it wasn't a token dose, even the 2.50U was too little. It effected her next few cycles. I stalled the 20 minutes and it went up.

If I end up with a green pre-shot then I'd probably go a heck of a lot lower :oops:

Am I following the SLGS? I know my SS says so, but I'm shooting on her pre-shot test, combined with my plans if I'm there to test, what happened in the cycle before the pre-shot. And I'm increasing and decreasing more frequently not holding the same dose cause I look mostly at the pre-shot and her nadirs. And doing the fat and skinnys. To my untrained eyes I'm combining almost every dosing protocol there is :oops:

I also think the fat and skinnys is working really well, and it helped a lot with the bouncing! Its only now I can interpret a little of her SS, cause the bouncing is much less.

1300-1400 bulbs?!?! On my dear! How big is your garden?
    Wow I'm kinda imagining your garden like the Netherlands fields of blooming tulips! :oops::eek:

The thing that's really bothering me is that I don't have a safe dose. Like if I shoot 3U im not guaranteed she won't go under 50. No one has that I know. Its really like shooting a moving target every single time I shoot. And that is whats making it so darn difficult. :nailbiting:

We had frost again. My coca cola is almost freezing when I have my morning smoke in the garden :p

It sounds like a great idea to let mother nature water the new plants! Then you won't need to do it :D

Deb & Wink likes this.
  26. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

It sure is!! Makes you feel so special when your asked to be a God Mother!!

Oh dear.. you do have a ways to go with the blanket!! LOL

Its going to be one heck of a crazy winter, thats for sure! I just wonder what its going to be like a month from now?!?!?!

Ann & Scatcats, Deb & Wink and SashaV like this.
  27. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

It's going to be cold as sh** :oops:

I still have a long way to go with the blanket :rolleyes: Its probably going to be a last minute kinda thing...

Deb & Wink likes this.
  28. Deb & Wink

Sasha, your following the "Mauer protocol", customized to suit the two of you. I can think of no better way to describe what you are doing then "custom dosing". You've really combined bits and pieces from all the standard Prozinc dosing protocols, to get what works for you and Mauer.

Maybe some frost here inland overnight, but not likely where I live near the coast yet. Soon.
    I live on 2 acres, but probably only garden on 1/4 to 1/3 acre, and that is as much as I can keep watered during a drought like we had this year. The rest is wooded, but I do some "caretaking" of the wooded sections, to encourage the native plants. I don't have to leave my yard, to take a "walk in the woods". This order was 1300-1400 bulbs, but I had already planted 550+ before this newest order, so the total is around 1800-1900 bulbs. Mostly small bulbs except for the narcissus, but even planting 100 crocuses takes time.

The blankets will get done before the twins start school I think.;) With Mauer keeping you on your toes, you can work on the blanket in your spare moments between tests.:smuggrin:

This winter is going to be scary. I'm planning on staying home most of the time, like I've been doing all spring and summer and only going out for the bare necessities. Already stocked up on cat food, cat litter, cat treats, catnip so my civie Dancer is all set for now.:cat:

29. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Should I change it on her SS then?
    I might get advice based on that protocol from someone else.

Oh! The coast is always the last place to get freezing. How wonderful you have your own woods! That's always been a dream of mine, to live near the coast and woods.
    Smart to think about the drought when planning a garden. It would be awful if half the garden just died every year.

You're probably right about the blankets. Sadly enough..
    Last year I made one in a week, same size of yarn and needle, but not the same stitches.
    This just takes forever :banghead::(

Nice Dancer is all set up! But what about you? :p

Deb & Wink likes this.
  30. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

+3 no sleep yet.

Based my 2.75Uf on that the am 4U seemed to last long. Seeing that 5.6 0.1 from freaking green at +3 I'm happy I didn't go higher! Yikes!

Now I'm up this late, and of all days its today I need to keep watching her. Darn!

I fed them some wet food and now ill have a tiny nap.
    See you at +4 :arghh:

On the bright side, she wasn't in the reds that long, and she didn't bounce.
    This dosing on pre-shot feels so right, seeing the results. Can't believe it took me 6 months to figure this out :eek:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  31. Deb & Wink

Yes, change your SS to indicate "Custom Dosing" and try to put an explanatory line somewhere at the top of the SS to explain a bit of what you are doing and why.
    Deb is set up too. No worries there, except for some fresh food once in a while. Even stocked up on chocolate.;)

How are you set Sasha? Got your supplies set up?
    The oddest things can have shortages. First it was toilet paper because of the hoarding. Then canned goods and cleaning supplies. Lately, it's been paper towels, canned goods and different cleaning supplies for disinfecting, like bleach.

Ann & Scatcats likes this.
  32. Deb & Wink

Dosing on the pre-shots doesn't often work. But if it's working for you and Mauer, keep doing it I say.

33. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Going up. Do I dare taking 2 hours of sleep?
    More food put out.

I've stocked up on chocolate too! But it never last more than a few days :p:oops:

Is people still hoarding? Seriously? None of that here since we shut down in March. And of all things cleaning supplies :D

Stocking up isn't really something we do. Most of us go grocery shopping almost everyday. Sometimes even several times a day.

34. Deb & Wink

Yes, I think you can take a nap. I'll be logging off in a few minutes. Keep Mauer safe, as you always do.

Yes people are still hoarding. New cases are running around 50000 to 70000 a day right now in the US.

Bad weather like snow and ice storms, torrential rains, high winds plus too many other things I want to do to grocery shop often. I always hated grocery shopping, and would stretch it out to 3 weeks whenever I could. Right now, that is out to 4-5 weeks. Plus it's such a hassle to deal with the slow people shopping and blocking the grocery store aisles and the check out lines are long. My steep driveway has taught me to be stocked up on cat supplies like litter, before the winter sets in. Even with snow tires on all 4 wheels and all wheel drive, it can be kind of slippery and sliding off the driveway is not my idea of fun. Someone plows the driveway for me, but even so, it gets icy at times.

Ann & Scatcats likes this.
  35. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

She went up quickly. I'm excited to see her amps o_O

Gosh that's a lot of people! Wow :nailbiting:

Snow might be even better to drive in, rather than ice. But still! Don't you have online groceries that delivers to your doorstep?
    We have even more now with covid19, so people in quarantine don't have to go out.

I am better at stocking up for the cats and the dog... but usually not more than a few months ahead. I'm considering buying a half pallet of litter. Its much cheaper and gets delivered right to my doorstep. Since I moved in June I've kept a half closet empty, saving the space for lots of litter :D
    But their raw food takes a heck of a lot of space in my freezer, and that can't be shipped. Maybe I'll need a new freezer :oops:
    Just bought a dryer last week. 3 years old for 40$ :D best buy EVER!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  36. Deb & Wink

Mauer did go back up fast from that green BG number.

For a 10-25% markup on the price of what you would pay in person at the store, and hefty 25-35% delivery fee. I decided not to go that route. Not in a big city, so my options are more limited.
    Refrigerators are in short supply. Freezers, are even harder to come by. More "panic buying" and people deciding to upgrade their homes since they couldn't go on vacation and spend the money they had set aside for that. So home renovations are being done.

A friend had her 6 year old refrigerator stop keeping the temperatures steady about 2 months ago. Tripped the circuit breaker, and all the food spoiled. Took weeks for a service person to come look at it and multiple service visits. Then about another 4 weeks for her to find a fridge that would work for her space and get it delivered and installed. Fridge was limping along, but she had to throw out everything in the freezer and the fridge, and only bought enough groceries for a week at a time and nothing that needed to be frozen.

Ann & Scatcats and SashaV like this.
  37. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Wow, well.. I don't even know what to say.
    When covid hit, our stores offered free delivery, and red cross made a platform to help those who couldn't go out. I'm so

I can't say I don't understand! 14 days before the lock down I had a feeling it would go this way, so I bought a freezer. And I filled it the day before the lock down :oops:

Mauer FINALLY lost some weight!!! Just 20 grams but still. So I've canceled her appointment at the vet tomorrow :D

I was wondering about pre-shot tests. She hasn't made a blue amps, and she's holding her numbers better in the am cycle. Whereas her pmps often is lower, sometimes even blue. During the pm cycle she dives lower faster and rises faster.
    There's a significant difference and I can't really compare those two cycles.

I shot a red with 4U the other day. My thoughts were that she needed a bump down, so she didn't got to comfortable in the high numbers. But wow it lasted long!

I'm going to see the twins today!!! Guess who's jumping up and down in pure excitement?!:D:D

38. Deb & Wink

Yeah on Mauer's weight loss! Finally, what you are doing seems to be working to aid her weight loss.

Yes, if the BG numbers stay high for too long, glucose toxicity sets in and you need higher and higher doses to counteract those higher numbers. It's like their body gets "stuck" and you need to do something to make the BG levels go down. Sometimes, a lone time increase in the dose will do that. Sometimes it takes a higher dose for several cycles.

You're trying every trick in the protocol, to help Mauer with her high numbers. Like that one time bump up in the dose. Yes it lasted quite a while, but Mauer got down to the low blues and even a green BG number with that carryover effect from the higher dose.

That must be so refreshing, to see the twins and your best friend.

p.s. Congrats on your forethought on getting your freezer stocked before lockdown. Filled with raw food for Mauer and Miver by any chance?;)

39. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Exactly it was the glucose toxicity I was trying to counteract. Worked like a charm!

Last night I shot on a blue, really the last number before it turns yellow. My idea was to shoot less insulin, to keep her a bit higher in the high blues. It didn't really work the way I thought it would.
    I'll know that for the next time :D

Her spreadsheet is really starting to look like something :nailbiting::oops:

I really needed to see them! They've gotten so big! Oskar is at 6.5kg, he still has a bit to reach Mauer, but darn they grow fast!

Of course Deb! You know me too well :D:p

When Mauer's BG gets down where it's supposed to be, I've noticed that she doesn't limp on her foreleg! So hopefully we can avoid the B12 :D

My dads new renters have a dog named Lucy, they've noticed she drinks 2,5 liters of water when they're at work. And she pees a lot :nailbiting:
    They're having her checked out, but you do by any chance know if something similar to this forum exists to canines? :bighug:

Hope you're having a great day, Deb! :bighug:

40. Deb & Wink

Mauer in the blues! You'll take it, even if it is a high blue, barely below the yellow range.

There is a forum for canine diabetes. Not sure of the name, but maybe there is one besides this group.
    http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=61b9add26a9fbcf9f3e519b70eb3c75a&f=2

It's US based, like this feline FDMB is.
    I'm sure there are Facebook groups too. But the one I found isn't be watched by the administrator and people are complaining about spam.
    Hyperthroidism also causes excess water consumption as does kidney disease. So they will need to see a vet and have some tests run to see what the issue is. Luckily, canines only need insulin once a day.

Misty drizzly day, so I didn't get to play in the gardens.:( Tomorrow is another day though! :) Got lots of inside chores done. ;)

41. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Exactly, they only need insulin once a day. And perhaps even orally drugs instead of injection. Luckily Lucy's owners mom has diabetes so it isn't totally new to her, like to many of us.

Oh we had that too! So I went to the mall and got a frame for the twins new york times newspaper for their baptism on Sunday. And picked up some more raw food for the cats! I love lady's in that shop, they know its me with the diabetic FAT cat :p:D

We go to winter time on Sunday. One hour backwards. I need to start pushing Mauers injections so she'll be ready. Its my sister who has to give her the shot on Sunday...

Hopefully you'll have sunshine today, so you can get garden dirty :D:bighug:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  42. Deb & Wink

So think about readjusting the dose shot times by 15 minutes, for 4 cycles and that will get you to your regular shot time quickly.
    Not quite as important with an in-and-out insulin like Prozinc and is more useful for the depot insulins like lantus.

We don't change back to winter time, standard time, until next weekend. Someone posts an INFO thread, over in the lantus ISG forum on how to do the time change.
    Here it is: https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/daylight-savings-time-ends-sunday-nov-1.237219/#post-2663567

Did get "garden dirty" today. :) Happy to get grubby again and get more bulbs in!

SashaV likes this.
  43. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Thanks Deb!
    I'll start doing this right away!:bighug::D

So we had another pj party with 1 hour naps between tests :oops:
    I know I've said the +2 doesn't show me anything with Mauer, but let's just say it sure does, but only in the PM cycle! I really wasn't expecting that blue so soon last night! And she surfed it longer than usual :p

How nice you've got garden dirty :D:D
    I have a stone flowerbed I need removed. I'm thinking on stealing the cats litter scoop to separate the granite from the soil :smuggrin:

Hercule's mum and Deb & Wink like this.
  44. Deb & Wink

Well darn! Guess you didn't get a good nights sleep again last night. Did you get anymore done on the blankets for the twins?

Those blues on Mauer's SS look fantastic! I know they still make you nervous, but they shouldn't.
    Seems like every time (or almost every time) Mauer drops into the blues, she bounces right back up into the pink zone.
    Eventually, her body should adjust to the lower BG ranges. Wouldn't that be nice? But some cats never do adjust and bounce forever and ever it seems.:(

I made myself a screen for sifting out the rocks from my soil, as there are plenty of them. Took some 1/4" hardware cloth, stapled it to a frame of pressure treated 2 by 4 lumber nailed together and use it all the time, for about the last 20 years. I made mine just the right size to fit over my garden cart. But you could use something else, to sift the soil into. Like one of those large concrete mixing pans, that some people use as litter boxes.

45. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Actually I did. The +3 was 15 minutes of in time from the pushed new time to shoot. So I set an alarm for +6 to see if she went lower, since the +3 was higher :banghead:
    Guess who woke up at +9? Yeah......
    She had food, seemed just fine, I gave a snack and went back to sleep, without testing.

Now I wish I had, since she had a low yellow amps for the first time in a long time.
    So keep saying she's bouncing! Maybe she'll stop to prove you wrong :D:D

Well I have one blanket at 70x47cm. Unless I really get myself going today, I won't be done :banghead:

Uh that's smart! My flowerbed is rather tiny, so I hope the litter spoon won't take forever.

The baptism was about to be canceled. We're in a lock down again from Monday. No more than 10 people can gather, masks in every public place. So I need to stock up as you do! I simply can't breathe in those masks :eek:
    They've decided to go forward with the baptism, so fingers crossed everything goes smoothly!

I know it isn't a good idea to fill syringes ahead of time, but if it's only an hour or 30 minutes?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  46. Deb & Wink

Prefilling syringes too far ahead of time can degrade the effectiveness of the insulin. The lubricant in the syringe makes some changes in the insulin composition itself I believe. So pre-filling the syringes 15-30 minutes ahead of time is fine. A day or longer for the pre-flled syringes gets kind of iffy and is not recommended.

Stocking up on food and personal care items has been a strategy I've been using all summer, expecting the covid cases to rise in the fall and winter, as all the scientists predicted. Glad I did. Cases are rising in most places here in the US, including the state where I live. Within the state, many of the neighboring towns and cities have increased cases too. So I'm being careful when I get my flu shot tomorrow at the pharmacy.

Ann & Scatcats and SashaV like this.
  47. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Lucky you! We ran out of vaccines! :banghead:

I'm so bad at stocking up. I end up eating the good stuff first :oops:

The blanket didn't get finished. :banghead: surprise!

Good you're careful. This sneaky virus hits every chance it has. Its really clever actually.. :(

Deb & Wink and Ann & Scatcats like this.
  48. Deb & Wink

Mauer, in the blues again! Yeah!

I think you may have dropped the PM dose too much for 10/25/20, with that high pre-shot of 373 mg/dL (20.7 mmol/L). My recommendation would have been to try 3.5U. Only a 1/4 unit (0.25U) drop in the dose.

You ran out of the flu vaccine? Will they be getting more in stock? I've been waiting to get my flu shot, until the end of October, since it's only effective for about 6 months. The year I got the vaccine early in August, is the winter I got the flu in February.

I eat the more perishable items first. Plus the cheese and chocolate go fast! Did a big grocery shop today, and it's likely to be my last big shopping expedition for months. I'll do smaller grocery shopping stops, if the covid19 levels get low again. Today I wore one of my masks that Sandi made, and it fit well, was easy enough to breath in even with the filter and multiple layers of fabric. From the time I left home until I got back home and got all the groceries inside and unpacked, I almost didn't notice it was on. Didn't fog up my glasses either.

I've been working on figuring out shelf stable alternatives to some of my fresh food items. Like bottled orange juice instead of fresh juice from the carton. Or those single serve half and halfs instead of half and half that needs refrigeration. Buying plenty of pasta and noodles to go along with all the canned veggies I bought, instead of making fresh tomato and veggie dishes. There will still be plenty of fresh veggies in my house for a while.

49. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

I dropped it on purpose. I was so tired and needed sleep, so I shot low on purpose hoping she'd stay a bit higher so I only needed to do one pm test.
    But I slept absolutely horrible.... :banghead:

Yeah we ran out of flu vaccines.. I think more is on the way, but maybe with limited access.

Sounds like a good mask! I hate feeling like there's no air left, and breathing in my own warm breath....yikes :(
    Don't you have roadside shops with potatoes, eggs and fruits? We have those and there's usually only one car at a time, and out in the open air.

Uh Deb, are you regrowing? Some types of greens with root can keep growing in water :D
    Or maybe just buy some grow lights, and grow your own cucumbers, tomatoes, salad, and so on indoors :D

Cheese and chocolate is my two favorite foods too :oops:
    Maybe we need a cow in the backyard! Lol :D

I did a +20 minutes last night with that pmps of 20.7, she was acting as if she was low.
    Big pupils, awake, playful, hungry.. so I wanted to make sure it wasn't a faulty test.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  50. Deb & Wink

Understood. That must have been frustrating for you, trying to get needed sleep only to have your mind and body refuse to cooperate.

For my cat Wink, the big pupils and more "talking" (vocalizations) were the only signs he was running in low BG numbers.

The farm stands, or roadside stands around here are larger commercial operations, that fit a couple of dozen cars in their parking lots. Even though they started as direct from farmer to the consumer, most of them have gotten pretty big now, and bring in produce and baked goods from all over the country. Some things are grown locally and many of the baked goods are made locally which is nice.

Wish I had thought to become a member of a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program, and get some fresh veggies that way. But I didn't think of it in time.

I have grow lights and a light stand in the basement, to hold several trays of seeds. I even bought some seeds to grow as micro-greens. You sow the seed very thickly in a flat of soil less mix, and you should have greens for cutting in a couple of weeks. I'll try growing some other seeds to a larger size, but I'm NOT a big salad eater.

51. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

It was very frustrating!
    But I don't notice it during the day, that I'm lacking sleep. Guess its just a new normal..

Mauer also talks a lot when she goes low. It's really weird, she keeps showing me the signs of being low, but she isn't.

You're all set up then! How nice!
    Any thoughts on having a vegetable garden next year?
    I'm not a big salad eater either. Really its just an excuse to eat feta cheese :D:p

Deb & Wink likes this.
  52. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

Look at Mauer go! Excellent! Well done you Sasha, and sorry your sleep is suffering....

Deb, can you please say that Hercules will bounce too? ;):smuggrin:

Deb & Wink and SashaV like this.
  53. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

I thought I wanted to be more aggressive today, so she got a full 4U and +5 we have green! I'm excited to see how low she goes...

I'll do just fine. Maybe this means I'm ready to have kids with the no sleep :D:p

Yeah, Deb needs to say it! Just like when I was a kid, and the seat belt wouldn't go in, I screamed for my mom to help, the minutes a yelled at her it went in! Worked like a charm every single time :oops:

Deb & Wink and Hercule's mum like this.
  54. Deb & Wink

New thread for Mauer please. This one is up to 54 replies now.

Thanks Sasha!

55. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

ONE DOWN!
    One more to go.
    Only a month late. But heck, I love it. Hopefully the twins will too!

Attached Files:

56. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

Well done! So consistent! My blankets always come out a bit trapezoid, as my stiches get bigger and bigger as I want to finish faster...
    What colour are you doing the other one?

Deb & Wink and SashaV like this.
  57. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

I KNOW!!!!! The impatience is showing. Im not satisfied at all really. I didn't know what to do about the edge, so I just tried. My idea was to stitch a ballon onto it, with the color from the other blanket, so they didn't look like just two regular blankets, but connected like the twins are. But it turned out soooooooo bad!

The other blanket is going to be a dark brown, with a tiny hint of red or purple. The twins mom picked the colors. I'd rather make something that she'd want to use rather than put in the closet.

Have you considered going down a size in needle to compensate for your...impatience? :D

The yarn is so delicious! Definitely not the last time I'm using 50/50 bamboo cotton. It's shiny, so soft, antibacterial..I love it!

And this color mustard like goes sooooo well with my dark green wall. I must make myself some pillowcases for the couch :joyful:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  58. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

A close-up of the edge.
    I'm going to see the twins tomorrow and I'll the one I have done. Hope it'll be the twins new favorite :D

Attached Files:

59. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Are you using Lion Brand Coboo yarn?? I really like the Bernat baby softee cotton yarn. I make a lot of baby clothes out of that one! Like rompers and dresses.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  60. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

No, I'm using a Danish brand of yarn.
    Oh I wanna make baby clothes too! But I don't have the patience....at all..
    And I can't read recipes either. Or I can, but again the patience :banghead::p

LoveforTucker and Deb & Wink like this.
  61. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

dress outfit 1.jpg
    The recipes aren't hard to read at all! I found a youtube video for this one! This was an order I had last year for a baby shower gift.

Deb & Wink, Shelley & Jess and SashaV like this.
  62. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Oh my God I love it!!

Deb & Wink and LoveforTucker like this.
  63. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Thank you!!!

Deb & Wink likes this.